cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disc Brakes

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new fifth wheel ,new to us anyway. Bought from a friend , he had negotiated a trade in for a new 2020, and of course they were not giving him anything near what it was worth, I offered to buy it for that, and he said why not. Only thing was he was going to remove the upgraded suspension ,and put the stock one back on, and the upgraded one on his new fifth wheel, I agreed to pay him the extra, and leave it on ,and he could buy a new upgrade for his . The upgrade on it was pretty new.

Anyway to the disc brakes that are on this one I bought from him, this is our four fifth wheel, never towed with disc brakes ( no I didn't have to pay him extra for that upgrade, he ate that 🙂 ) Never dreamed how nice they are, between that upgraded suspension ,and disc brakes ,it was an absolute pleasure to tow. I thought my old Montana with the MorRyde suspension , and pin box towed pretty good , but not as good as this one. And this one has the standard pin box, but smooth as glass.

I will have to say anyone that is considering disc brakes ,and have never towed with them, you have no idea what you are missing, and would highly recommend them. Sure convinced me how effect they are. Can't say I was skeptical, just didn't have any experience with them on a fifth wheel. Thought about it on my Montana ,but just never got around to it, and the older it got the less money I wanted to spend on it.
33 REPLIES 33

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sorry couldn’t help it!

I know 🙂

Boy, B&W sure makes great FW hitches! I won't have anything else! :B:B:B:B:B

Lyle

I think everyone has figured that out by now :B

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Regarding slipper springs, we have them on our 23GVW GN trailer and, even empty, it rides pretty nice. Been thinking about the JoyRider/ComfortRide for a while, but not sure how much difference it'd make on our 10.5GVW FW.

Lyle

There are several on this Heartland group that went with Comfort ride , most AFTER hearing the results from this friend of mine that went to it . As said I helped him last winter install it on another one on their group . Easy install, quality parts, the shocks fit like they should, and instead of the extreme angle you see on fifth wheels ,where it a hard to see where they would be very effective .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Pics??? What upgrade??? MORryde???

NOTHING better than Disk Brakes. Anyone saying Drums are just as good, well......

Your buddy did get scrued as he did not get the trade in value removed from his total cost so he could have saved Sales Tax on the trade amount.

I had a friend sell me his 98 12V for what Dave Smith would have paid him on trade. I asked what about the sales tax he would have saved??? He said I would rather you have it! Good Friend!!!
As I have stated before, unless you check with your state DMV, you don't know that you couldn't have applied the money you received to lower the sales tax. That is the way it works in Missouri which I didn't know for quite a few years. You have to fill out the forms as to how much you received when you sold it, and that applies to the price that was paid for the new unit. Sales tax is reduced accordingly.

No forms here in Utah , you trade in a vehicle ,they subtract the trade in value , you pay the sales tax on the difference not the purchase price of the new vehicle , thats done right at the dealer, and you are done ,and licensed .

Of course, this assumes that the trade-in price is decent enough that the sales tax savings makes up for the difference you could have got on a trade-in. In my experience, you're still ahead on a private sale of the old vs trading it in, in =most= cases. Here in AZ, you'd "save" about $800 (depending on location) in taxes on a $10k trade-in. If you could sell privately for $12,000, you're still ~$1,200 ahead. Just sayin'...

Lyle

Well sure you are, its a no brainer. I could of traded that Montana to the same dealer that took this Big Country on an in ,and out . They low balled me the same as they did to the friend I bought the big Country from , he saved the same amount of taxes either way he went , trading it to them ,or doing the in ,and out with me.

What I am saying ,is not everybody wants to try ,and sell outright. They want to do a trade in ,and be done. Thats where this friend was at, he never tried to sell it outright , no desire . It was me buying from him after he told me he was trading it ,and what he was getting. If he wanted to sell it to me for that amount I'd buy ,he was okay with it ,and I bought it .

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sorry couldn’t help it!

I know 🙂

Boy, B&W sure makes great FW hitches! I won't have anything else! :B:B:B:B:B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Regarding slipper springs, we have them on our 23GVW GN trailer and, even empty, it rides pretty nice. Been thinking about the JoyRider/ComfortRide for a while, but not sure how much difference it'd make on our 10.5GVW FW.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cummins2014 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Pics??? What upgrade??? MORryde???

NOTHING better than Disk Brakes. Anyone saying Drums are just as good, well......

Your buddy did get scrued as he did not get the trade in value removed from his total cost so he could have saved Sales Tax on the trade amount.

I had a friend sell me his 98 12V for what Dave Smith would have paid him on trade. I asked what about the sales tax he would have saved??? He said I would rather you have it! Good Friend!!!
As I have stated before, unless you check with your state DMV, you don't know that you couldn't have applied the money you received to lower the sales tax. That is the way it works in Missouri which I didn't know for quite a few years. You have to fill out the forms as to how much you received when you sold it, and that applies to the price that was paid for the new unit. Sales tax is reduced accordingly.

No forms here in Utah , you trade in a vehicle ,they subtract the trade in value , you pay the sales tax on the difference not the purchase price of the new vehicle , thats done right at the dealer, and you are done ,and licensed .

Of course, this assumes that the trade-in price is decent enough that the sales tax savings makes up for the difference you could have got on a trade-in. In my experience, you're still ahead on a private sale of the old vs trading it in, in =most= cases. Here in AZ, you'd "save" about $800 (depending on location) in taxes on a $10k trade-in. If you could sell privately for $12,000, you're still ~$1,200 ahead. Just sayin'...

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sorry couldn’t help it!

I know 🙂

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry couldn’t help it!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Man! Those kits are expensive. I would love to put them on my fifthwheel, but at $1,300, I'll pass for now.

Yea, I said that.... then . . . . I saw the light ! there is truly no comparison,,, NONE...

I too have seen the light :B

This all reminds me of when I first EXPERIENCED using a B&W hitch. 😉

Why did I somehow think you were going to spoil this thread , no not really :B You fan boys have finally worn me down , besides there is more important things going on right now, unfortunately. I started this thread actually for a little distraction ,we all need that right now .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Man! Those kits are expensive. I would love to put them on my fifthwheel, but at $1,300, I'll pass for now.

Yea, I said that.... then . . . . I saw the light ! there is truly no comparison,,, NONE...

This all reminds me of when I first EXPERIENCED using a B&W hitch. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
jdc1 wrote:

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Congratulations on the new rig!!!

Thanks, its a bit of an upgrade from our old 2008 Montana fifth wheel. This has the level up, better suspension supposedly 🙂 It sure tows well, I guess thats all that counts. Disc brakes , I assume not DISK, as some refer too :B The larger double door fridge. The side bathroom ,with everything in the one room, with two doors one too the bedroom, and one to the hallway, thats pretty nice . 50" TV, probably a 40" in the bedroom, overall just a nicer fifth wheel . Lost a closest near the entry door, that we will have to get used too not having .Pullout desk under the TV instead of a built in one on the Montana, can still have a place to tie fly's , just not as convenient . The nicest thing my wife likes is the stand alone island that you can walk around , the Montana did not have that

We really had no intentions of getting a new one ,the old Montana was good enough for what we do in traveling , but could not pass up the deal . I was surprised the Montana sold so quick, it was in pretty good shape for going on 13 years old. But people are pretty distracted right now .

Well ??? your killing us here ! !! ! What kind is it ? model ? floorpan ??

Anyway., Good Luck with it ! Happy Camping !

Its a 2015 Big Country 3150 RL .

Awesome, Hope it brings you years of trouble free miles ! !

I can only by what the friend told me, he had it traded , it made no difference to him if I bought it or not. He told me it had been a pretty good one, with no major issues. But its a 5 year old used fifth wheel . I have no illusions that things can't go wrong, although it is in great shape . Being full timers they decided they wanted something a bit bigger, so they went to a modest sized fifth wheel to nearly as long as you can get at 42' Big Horn 3925 MLP

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I find when drum brakes work as they should, in conjunction with a new style factory brake controler, they work almost as good as disc brakes. The problem is that drum brakes seldom work as they should.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

jdc1 wrote:

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet