cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're using the TT's fridge as a "semi-lifeboat"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've always thought that the trailer would come in handy as a "lifeboat" in an emergency -- so, for example, if an earthquake knocks down our house, we could stay in the trailer. (We live in California, not far from a major earthquake fault, so that is not a far-fetched scenario.)

Well, in a much more limited way, we are now using the trailer to help us out in this emergency. DW and I are both in "high risk" categories, so we are strictly limiting our trips to the grocery store. DW got the idea to buy extra quantities of fresh produce and then to stick the extra into the fridge in the trailer.

This means that instead of having to go to the market every week, we can cut back to every ten days or so. That reduces our cumulative exposure to the general public.

Yes, it means extra wear and tear on the fridge in the trailer, which is not a good thing. (Most of the year, the fridge is off because the trailer just sits in the driveway.). But we figure that the reduction of risk of infection is worth the extra wear and tear.

So there you have it -- yet another reason to own an RV! (Gotta look at the bright side these days, right??)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
29 REPLIES 29

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Correct me if I am wrong... The propane fridges do not get "wear-n-tear" from being on? They actually need to be run at least sometimes to move the chemicals around.
So, keeping your propane fridge on is fine...

Yes, I think we all have some level of comfort knowing that we have backup systems in the RV.
My fridge is a Danfoss compressor unit that is powered by solar, so is of comfort that if I cannot get propane that I can keep food from spoiling.

Stay healthy. The crisis is almost over. Keep your immune system healthy by cutting way back on sugars and other processed foods. Get some exercise and sun. Vitamin D, C and zinc will support immune health.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Caveman, instead of trying a full on sourdough, try "no knead" bread. Just google the term. It is much tastier than regular bread. It takes 24 hours to ferment -- the yeast do all of the work.

I've even made it (once) while camping. (Too much work in a small trailer.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio wrote:
Waaaayyy bigger than my house!

I'm kind of doing the opposite, fridgewise.

I have two freezers in my van. I grow a lot of fruit and vegetables, and during the summer I freeze and preserve things, and utilize the van freezers for overflow. Then I bring a lot of homegrown food south with me in the winter. I garden at my winter place too, and bring stuff north to eat before the summer garden starts producing.

But this past week, I have moved everything out of the van freezers and decommissioned them. If I get really sick, and something happens to the power, I might not be out there checking on them and catch the problem in time. Could be a disgusting moldy mess.

If I'm healthy and end up needing the space this summer, maybe I will get a freezer alarm. but for now, I feel more secure knowing that I don't have to worry about the van freezers.

Don't worry, I have multiple other freezers, all stuffed to the gills now. I keep making soup and freezing it just in case! But the other ones are where I can more easily keep an eye on them.

I'm not that much of a die hard but, As everyone else is looking for eggs or paying big money for them my chickens are making me 2 eggs a day.

I'm still eating off of last summers garden food. I either canned it or froze it in my regular fridge's freezer.

I have quite a bit of deer meat in the freezer but, I'm shocked at how fast that ;and everything else; disappears so quickly when you eat off of it full time and don't replenish it.

I have flour and have considered making sour dough bread but, I'm not brave enough or ambitious enough to try it. I'm extending my bread trips with store bought frozen bread dough that you then unthaw and bake.

Still, I may take my first trip to town in 3 weeks this weekend just to pick up some store bought sliced bread.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Nice shop....and fridge NRA!

Thanx! Here’s a long shot of the whole garage. We built that about 5 years ago.

We’re on a hillside, so I used the slope to lower the floor of the RV bay, instead of raising the roofline.

:):)

Lol, your garage is bigger than my house.

//Just under 1,100 square feet

Bigger then my house too

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
my trailer experiences an earthquake every time i tow it. thats what suspensions for.

Yes! When I was in SoCal and a small earthquake got me thinking about the Big One, I figured that in my van, without tree branches or power lines above me, or a tall building next to me, I was in pretty much the safest place I could be. The van is designed to be shaken and twisted and flexed.

Even if an earthquake managed to tip the van over onto its side, it was full of pillows and everything else was pretty well tied down :-).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Waaaayyy bigger than my house!

I'm kind of doing the opposite, fridgewise.

I have two freezers in my van. I grow a lot of fruit and vegetables, and during the summer I freeze and preserve things, and utilize the van freezers for overflow. Then I bring a lot of homegrown food south with me in the winter. I garden at my winter place too, and bring stuff north to eat before the summer garden starts producing.

But this past week, I have moved everything out of the van freezers and decommissioned them. If I get really sick, and something happens to the power, I might not be out there checking on them and catch the problem in time. Could be a disgusting moldy mess.

If I'm healthy and end up needing the space this summer, maybe I will get a freezer alarm. but for now, I feel more secure knowing that I don't have to worry about the van freezers.

Don't worry, I have multiple other freezers, all stuffed to the gills now. I keep making soup and freezing it just in case! But the other ones are where I can more easily keep an eye on them.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Vvvv1010
Explorer
Explorer
Cold beer and soda pop. 😄

This is a great thread.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Two 10'0 Kayaks

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

We’re on a hillside, so I used the slope to lower the floor of the RV bay, instead of raising the roofline.

Lol, your garage is bigger than my house.

//Just under 1,100 square feet
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We're using a small fridge in the basement - used to be a kegerator - a beer keg fridge. Works great.

We do have a portable (removable) microwave in our trailer that we have moved into the house when our regular Microwave quit.

Nice to have extra appliances in these times. 🙂

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
my trailer experiences an earthquake every time i tow it. thats what suspensions for.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We also leave our trailer plugged up 365 days a year, fully stocked and recently filled fresh water tank.

Heck we're in it every evening drinking wine, listening to music and playing Uno. Lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
I’m doing the same thing with my truck camper. It’s in the garage, and I’ve been using it, and it’s fridge as a staging area for all the new groceries we bring into the house.

I wipe down everything that can be wiped down with a disinfectant, then leave it in the camper till it’s needed. I keep a fan going in the camper to encourage drying, as it’s my understanding that’s what kills those little buggers if they’re on a surface. Nothing new comes in the house immediately unless there’s just no choice.

My garage beer fridge is also helping out a little, but it’s still primarily a beer fridge. After all, most jurisdictions consider liqueur stores to be “Essential Businesses”, so that means everything they sell is essentially essential. They might as well just say that beer’s mandatory, IMHO.

All bottles and cans get dunked before putting them in the fridge.

I love that picture.

The heck with the food lets fill the camper fridge with beer and pop.

I have a small apartment type fridge in the basement of my house. It looks a lot like your camper fridge. 😛