cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canada border crossing

jsummers72
Explorer
Explorer
I am an Alaskan resident. I am in AZ and am trying to read first hand reports of RV'ers crossing into Canada in order to drive back to AK. My US Senators office says they "have heard" that RV'ers are allowed to cross if they can prove they are Ak residents traveling home and are able to use their RV as their isolation location.

Can anyone substantiate these reports ? Thanks
55 REPLIES 55

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:
Sweden's per capita death rate is about 2.5 times Canada and about 1.5 times the US. its testing rate per capita is just over half Canada and the US. I don't know that they are a great example to follow.

When it comes to โ€˜community transmissionโ€™ small counties with densely packed populations and an extremely small โ€˜ruralโ€™ (read โ€˜isolatedโ€™) population are incubators, breeding viruses.

To compare countries like the US and Canada with a huge rural, spread out populations to compact densely populated countries is a little less than relevant....... to put it very politely.

Kinda like the people that give DP based advice to people with a B asking questions.

jsummers72
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator- I think youโ€™d better close this down. Itโ€™s turned weird
And not about Canada/US border crossings.

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
While we're on the topic of Sweden, here's an interesting take on their predicted verus actual results...it's a short read, don't be scared.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/can-we-trust-covid-modelling-more-evidence-from-sweden?fbclid=Iw...

As was stated the more you test the more you will likely find. Perhaps deaths and ICU cases are a better comparison.
Sweden with a population approximately equal to our 4 western provinces reports 3313 deaths and 500+ in ICU.
Our 4 western provinces have a total of 269 deaths and 26 in ICU.
Quebec on the other hand had the misfortune to have the virus get into the population before they realized, have results more in the line of Sweden despite having a somewhat lower population.
Sweden is counting on having better immunity in the population going forward. Time will tell.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
While we're on the topic of Sweden, here's an interesting take on their predicted verus actual results...it's a short read, don't be scared.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/can-we-trust-covid-modelling-more-evidence-from-sweden?fbclid=Iw...
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Sweden's per capita death rate is about 2.5 times Canada and about 1.5 times the US. its testing rate per capita is just over half Canada and the US. I don't know that they are a great example to follow.

Look at China's numbers. By their (stated) numbers, they're one of the best examples to follow. Should we just do that at face value, or delve into the speficis of each country, before formulating an opinion?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
The US has the most confiremd cases because they also have the most efficient and widespread testing regimen going on in most regions.

No, they don't have the greatest number of tests per million people. If you remove the "small" countries, USA is still at #25 at 31,695 per M. That works out to just a smidgen over 3% of folks being tested.

But Canada is #27 so we have nothing to boast about.

Opening up is making folks in many of those areas candidates for a Darwin award.

I was disappointed to see the portable hand washing sink gone at the local pharmacy today. Almost no one was wearing a mask.

Now Don, I didn't say "per million people". I just said the most tests. Period. The more you test, the more cases you find. Simple?

I'm going by these sites for stats.
https://www.coronatracker.com/analytics
and
http://corona.tuply.co.za/
Actually, I think they're using the same data feed.

Sweden did almost nothing to lock down, they just told their people to use common sense, and wear PPE if they wanted. Stay home if you're not feeling well, and stay away from people who appear ill. Social distance as best you can, but they didn't shut their doors. Their numbers of confirmed cases are well below the leaders, but are slightly higher than ours per capita. Have they done more tests per capita? I don't know, maybe. It's all about the testing, according to most "experts". They're at number 24 on cases, while we're at numer 14 on the Global Covid19 Trackers. Our number could be higher, if we had better testing. As I said, PHAC has finally "OK'd" an antigen test as acceptable. How long have we been at this, now?

Why was California's initial cases per capita much lower than the rest of the US, considering their population? Maybe they've already been exposed to the virus, a lot earlier than the rest of the country, they do get a lot of Asian visitors, and developed herd immunity, possibly last year. No one, except maybe the PRC, know when this thing really started, and when the transmission pattern began. It could have been in North America last summer for all the info we're getting from those at the epi-center. Remember West Nile Virus? After that was over they figured the virus had been around in North America for decades, but since no one ever looked for it as a pathogen, there were no stats, because no one knew what it was. It was probably passed off as a severe flu, until someone named it. Just like SARS 2.0 (Covid19).

That's the problem, we don't know, the experts don't seem to know, they seem to be guessing a lot, and those at the probable place of origin aren't saying much to help us figure it out. Except, "Not me, not us". Word is they're trying to hack into the vaccine labs databases to try to see what we know or can prove, and to try to get rid of it, or rewrite it.

Maybe the pharmacy folks are just fed up with being told what to do, as if the average person doesn't know how, or is too stupid. I find the general attitude of the "experts" to be condescending and a little bit insulting, at times.

Again, just in my *apolitical* opinion.

Eric: Maybe this belongs in a separate thread in the "Around the Campfire" or the equivalent, but it does have to do the US/Canada Border crossing.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Letโ€™s not turn this into a political thread or I will have no choice but to close it.

Eric .... (Moderator)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
MDKMDK wrote:
The US has the most confiremd cases because they also have the most efficient and widespread testing regimen going on in most regions.

No, they don't have the greatest number of tests per million people. If you remove the "small" countries, USA is still at #25 at 31,695 per M. That works out to just a smidgen over 3% of folks being tested.

But Canada is #27 so we have nothing to boast about.

Opening up is making folks in many of those areas candidates for a Darwin award.

I was disappointed to see the portable hand washing sink gone at the local pharmacy today. Almost no one was wearing a mask.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
The US has the most confiremd cases because they also have the most efficient and widespread testing regimen going on in most regions. Outside of major cities, like NY, LA, SF, (although Cali isn't doing that bad either) where the population is crammed in like sardines, they aren't doing that badly. Health Canada just rolled the dice (it seems to be a **** shoot with them) and OK'd a new antigen test. No wonder we look better than some of the others, we haven't been effectively testing. Not that it matters in the long run anyway. We can't hide under our beds forever, if we expect to be able to recover from this mess. It's just going to take someone with some cojones to give the word.
I like the US Executive Branch's approach to allowing the individual governors and state medical people to have more control over their domain, and to allow them to handle their own restarts by location, based on their greater familiarity with their own back yard. In spite of what some might believe, there isn't a one size fits all fix for this situation. It's foolish to think you can set benchmark dates, and have everyone jump in at the deep end then. That would be reckless.

All just my opinion, of course.

EDIT: Changed "Trump" to "US Executive Branch" to reduce the political "feel".

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
The provinces have been pretty clear about not wanting the border reopened and public support for not opening soon is pretty high where I live. I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed closed for unnecessary travel the rest of the summer.

Frankly, there isn't a lot of confidence in the way this is being handled in the US. Too fragmented an approach with every state doing its own thing.

Another issue would be out of country medical insurance. Right now, Canadians can't get it for travel to the US.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Just heard on our news that the border closure will be extended to at least June 21.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The provinces could slow traffic by having a 2 week quarantine in place for all north bound recreational travel.

I agree that Canada is the tail on the dog as far as opening the borders.

The exception may be Quebec because their numbers are so high for infections and deaths.

Saskatchewan has started to lower the number of active cases. The small city I live in has 0 active cases now and that has been so for 4 days. We still have 5 days til phase 2 openings.

My opinion is that USA was and is a long ways from being ready to reopen. Infection rates are almost certain to spike.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I respectfully disagree. If the US/border states want the border open, we'll pretty much have to follow their lead. The alternative is to let our economy further wither and die, without access to our largest trading partner. Cross border shopping, tourism, and so on. Honestly, I don't think it matters what we want. No matter what fearless leader says or wants us to believe.
Just my opinion, Soup. No offense intended.