Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Canada border crossing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Canada border crossing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Johnny G1

Clearwater, British Columbia ,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 10:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just talked to a lady friend in Whitehorse, and you have to sign your way into the Yukon, not allowed in if you are just visiting but you can go through if you are going to your home in Alaska, everthing like every where else is on a shut down, she has a driving school and it is non essential so no income for now. we had planned to go to her place in June but it is a no go now. Spend most summer's in the Yukon so pretty disappointed.

98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 28' 5th wheel Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

jsummers72

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

R-You can’t avoid BC driving back to AK thru Canada.
Jims

On Apr 27, 2020, at 17:08, Bylsma, Rachel (Sullivan) wrote:

Excellent! I am so pleased you are safely on your way! BC seems to have the most stringent requirements, if you can avoid having to drive through there it would be best. Please let me know once you make it back home to Alaska.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 3:05 PM
To: Bylsma, Rachel (Sullivan)
Subject: Alaskans in Canada

Crossed the border this morning at Sweetgrass/Coutts. No problems. Didn’t need any proof of AK residence other than passports. He did ask where we were staying tonight. Having reservations eased his mind. A few “ are you sick questions”. Reminded us no touristing, etc.
Canada seems to be open. No masks anywhere. Same stores closed as USA but no diff in cars on the rd. Gas stations & hotels we always use are open. In Whitecourt Alberta now, Ft Nelson, Whitehorse & Tok, AK. the next 3 nites.
Anyone wanting more info , tell them they’re free to email me.
JimSummers, Palmer

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Respectfully Lakeside 013104, US Border Protection & immigration have absolutely no say on who can or cannot enter Canada. That is entirely up to Canadian officials. You don't even stop at a US checkpoint on crossing into Canada.

Respect back at you Veebyes, but if you look at this part of my statement, I was speaking about entering and leaving the USA:

'If you want accurate information on rules about exiting and entering the United States, check with the Ports of Entry (POE), where the Officers wear blue uniforms and drive white/blue vehicles. These folks are the ones working in the 'booths' at the POEs. They are US Customs & Border Protection Officers (CBP), very different from Border Patrol Offices.'

With same respect, the best place to check for information about rules that apply to entering and exiting Canada, is to check with CBSA, Canadian Border Services Authority, which is at the Canadian side of the border. Maybe I should have said that, but I assumed folks would understand my point was about entry and exit of the USA.

Also you mentioned: " You don't even stop at a US checkpoint on crossing into Canada". This is a true statement, to a point. Outbound inspections, which is inspection of vehicles leaving the US side of the border are conducted on a rotating schedule. Everyone MUST stop at these checkpoints. Border search authority is the same at this 'outbound' point of inspection as it is at the inbound point of inspection, which is usually conducted on the other side of the buildings. These outbound inspection sites will be marked accordingly and normal driving lanes will be restricted in order to funnel all traffic to the point of inspection. For your own safety, please be prepared to stop at these outbound inspection points.

Safe travels,

Lakeside

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duplicate post for some reason, deleted by

Lakeside

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/20 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

Also you mentioned: " You don't even stop at a US checkpoint on crossing into Canada". This is a true statement, to a point. Outbound inspections, which is inspection of vehicles leaving the US side of the border are conducted on a rotating schedule. Everyone MUST stop at these checkpoints. Border search authority is the same at this 'outbound' point of inspection as it is at the inbound point of inspection, which is usually conducted on the other side of the buildings. These outbound inspection sites will be marked accordingly and normal driving lanes will be restricted in order to funnel all traffic to the point of inspection. For your own safety, please be prepared to stop at these outbound inspection points.

Safe travels,

Lakeside

Lake, I don't understand what you're saying. You're saying, entering Canada from the US, after going through the CBSA checkpoint, that there may be a secondary inspection? And it's performed by which agency, CBP or CBSA?

Not doubting you, but we cross the border in WA probably 50 times a year or more and never seen a secondary inspection, save for the "random" cars that get pulled over. They get sent there from the booth.

What are you referring to?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jsummers72

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/20 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i just arr'd home in Palmer, AK. We had no problems in Canada. There was a Covod ck point entering Yukon. At Watson Lake we had to stop & be interviewed by officials, but there was no difficulty. If you want specific info about our trip thru Canada, pls shoot me a msg.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/20 03:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jsummers72 wrote:

i just arr'd home in Palmer, AK. We had no problems in Canada. There was a Covod ck point entering Yukon. At Watson Lake we had to stop & be interviewed by officials, but there was no difficulty. If you want specific info about our trip thru Canada, pls shoot me a msg.

Palmer is a beautiful part of Alaska. Glad you made it home safely and without negative issues or delays from the virus.

Lakeside

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

lakeside013104 wrote:

Safe travels,

Lakeside

Lake, I don't understand what you're saying. You're saying, entering Canada from the US, after going through the CBSA checkpoint, that there may be a secondary inspection? And it's performed by which agency, CBP or CBSA?

Not doubting you, but we cross the border in WA probably 50 times a year or more and never seen a secondary inspection, save for the "random" cars that get pulled over. They get sent there from the booth.

Greetings Girt Dog, I was referring to outbound inspections conducted at the US side of the border just prior to departing the United States. These inspections are conducted by US CBP Officers on the US side of the border, just before crossing into Canada.

Hope this helps.

Lakeside

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/20 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

lakeside013104 wrote:

Safe travels,

Lakeside

Greetings Girt Dog, I was referring to outbound inspections conducted at the US side of the border just prior to departing the United States. These inspections are conducted by US CBP Officers on the US side of the border, just before crossing into Canada.

Hope this helps.

Lakeside

CBP sometimes sets up just past the toll booth as you exit the US and start to cross the bridge to Canada where we live. They'll have a quick look at you and your vehicle and decide if you're worth stopping. We usually get waved through. I think we've been stopped once in 8 years.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

MACHZER

Clandeboye

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

watching the news tonight, looks like Canada will keep the border closed now until June 21

Clandeboye , Manitoba

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Canada border crossing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.