Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rebuilding my eu2000i... (never did this before)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rebuilding my eu2000i... (never did this before)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To add to what Roger10378 said. The cupping that you saw on the exhaust valve would cause the exhaust valve clearance to diminish, thus a loss of compression. Did any of the shops run a compression test?

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can buy a new carburetor for it for $35. I used to hate swapping parts, but as cheap as they are and as many problems as they have because of ethanol fuel, it’s often the easiest and cheapest solution. Verify you have spark under compression and if you do try an eBay carb.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my experience with small engines in general, I would put my money on that ex. Valve. They tend to wear the guides and seats. I would have a machine shop replace both those parts.

Actually, as another old guy, I would take what I learned so far and buy a new gen.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had it to 3 shops

Shop 1: petes Cycle in crummy baltimore (my hometown): he got it to run. Died after 10 hrs. I couldn’t get it started.

Shop 2: he had me buy a new carb when I knew it wasnt the carb because I know how to clean the carb

Shop 3: he pulled off the valve cover and adjusted valves. Could get it to try to start with starting fluid.

One thing I am wondering. It has spark. But is it possible to have a weak spark? I had this on my furnace (which i also had apart many times. Lol) where i had to increase gap to make a hotter spark.

Generator has a new spark plug

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since i have it apart, should i just buy a cylinder and new valves?

When you buy them new, are the mating surfaces all perfect?
Do the valve guides come with cylinder?

If so, i can make the unit like new, without needing to visit the machine shop which is 3 hours drive from my current location.

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Petes Cycle guy reported that he decarbonized.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yep, you should have checked the compression first. one of the shops you took it to must have? if you have good compression no need to disassemble the engine i'm thinking electrical problem and they can be hard to track down could be CDI box or stator.
Jay D.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger10378 wrote:

Another problem with small engines is that the valve seats wear enough that the valves don't seat anymore. Did you check the gap before you disassembled? If not you need to reassemble enough to check. If there is not enough gap between the valve and lifter you will have to grind enough off the valve stem to get the right gap. I don't know the spec for your engine but it is usually in the .005-.010 inch area.

YES, this is the main culprit when you have low compression on these small engines.
Jay D.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

If your valves seating properly is an issue, or you think it's an issue, you could try "lapping" them.

If it is a part, you might a well "lap" the valves. Several videos on YouTube on how to do it (this procedure is NOT engine specific, just don't go crazy; it only takes a little).

I don't know if that engine has a compression release (typically a mechanism that will hold the exhaust valve open slightly longer). You need to disable it and do a compression test. You should be get around 100 psi.

As you are re-assembling, check to make sure you are getting spark.

The old saying is "you need fuel, air and spark", but you also need compression and they all have to happen AT THE RIGHT TIME !

Good luck, keep us posted.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

groundhogy wrote:

One thing I am wondering. It has spark. But is it possible to have a weak spark?

All small engine have had electronic ignition for the past 30-40 years. It either has adequate spark or it will have no spark.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rebuilding my eu2000i... (never did this before)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.