Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford F350 7.3 Gas Pulling 15k
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F350 7.3 Gas Pulling 15k

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

Who is even thinking it would pull like a diesel. I know we are all bored but vechicles made for different jobs. Chevman

Sage words from a RV Veteran.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Not much of a test IMO. Did he ever get over 50 mph but maybe a couple times?
Rolling hills aren't much of a barometer IMO. Low profile trailer is also not a real good test.
It looks nice though.

You would think a rolling hill test would be sufficient for RV.net as that's when you hear the most complaining about all the shifting. [emoticon]

x2

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

In low gear at 30 mph and half a tank of gas later. We had a mid nineties Ford with the 460, it would pull anything we needed to move but we couldn't afford to feed it.

I don't about where you live, but regular is selling (in a few places) for UNDER $1 and diesel fuel is still close to $2. Adding the cost of diesel engine oil changes and DEF, I don't know how anyone not doing 50K+ miles/year hauling/towing heavy can justify a diesel pickup !

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

romore wrote:

In low gear at 30 mph and half a tank of gas later. We had a mid nineties Ford with the 460, it would pull anything we needed to move but we couldn't afford to feed it.

I don't about where you live, but regular is selling (in a few places) for UNDER $1 and diesel fuel is still close to $2. Adding the cost of diesel engine oil changes and DEF, I don't know how anyone not doing 50K+ miles/year hauling/towing heavy can justify a diesel pickup !

Because I want one and I can afford it. How do you justify owning an RV?

I haven't seen gas under $1, and live in one of the cheapest states for gas.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

romore wrote:

Because I want one and I can afford it. How do you justify owning an RV?

I haven't seen gas under $1, and live in one of the cheapest states for gas.

Same here. I put about 5K a year on my truck - so what? I don't get this "justification" stuff. You can't justify anything in this expensive hobby.
When I buy a new truck it will be like buying a tool; I'll get the one that I think does the job best. Considering what a new trucks costs, the diesel option just isn't that big of deal. Besides, I've always gotten every dime the diesel cost back (and more) when selling a used truck.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would love the opportunity to pull my fiver with the 7.3L gas. I think this engine is going to be a home run!

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there are any problems with the 7.3 I don't look for them to be very big. This engine gives those that have a camper just a little too big for the other gas engines and yet they don't need all the power of a diesel. I'd love to have one but my truck does just fine with my 10,000 GVWR camper. If I were going to buy a new one I'm pretty sure that I'd buy a 7.3 over a 6.2 even if I didn't need all of the power. It looks like it would be a good driving truck.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Is it me or did it seem really loud even when not pulling a grade?

If you are a gasser guy i am sure it will be a good truck.

Yeah, it does have a nice exhaust note, doesn’t it? I like it personally. I read somewhere that they were working on quieting it down. I hope they make that optional.

Normal big V8 exhaust “Muffler In Name Only” devices — NC

Wimpy V8 “Hush Kit” exhaust — $5000.00
- (Forces “Girly-Man” ECM tune)

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 04/07/20 07:00am by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That TFL Ike test with 16k is impressive. Good for Ford. I had a 96 F250 with a 460 that was a cool truck that towed my Ski Nautique great. It had the double 15 gal fuel tank setup that they used back then I remember days that I swore the needle moved on my 8 mile drive to work.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtofell1 wrote:

I know the diesel guys love their diesels but that is one hell of a gasser. 4.30 gears, 10 speeds from what looks like an amazing tranny and all that HP and torque. The speed management going downhill was very impressive (I know the hills weren't huge). Nice looking setup. Thanks Fish!

Yup......them Diesel guys love their Diesels.......oops, that's me,.....just thinking out loud. Can't even visualize me without a Diesel now. But I am glad someone finally made a good big gasser.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F350 7.3 Gas Pulling 15k
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.