Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: leaking sunroof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> leaking sunroof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my sunroof on my tow vehicle is not draining properly and collects water in the "drain pan"? when it rains. which then leaks into the vehicle.
checking on the internet shows that this is a very common problem and to unblock the drain tubes have obtained two sizes of wire and a bore scope in hopes of fixing it.
assuming I am doomed to failure, and not wanting to spend megabucks on a "feature" that I don't use/want am considering taping the seams/joints as a last resort.
I bought a small roll of a sealing tape, externabond IIRC but that was a very thick piece of material suitable for a flat surface and I stuck a piece onto a piece of plexiglass and days later could just peel it off. I am in search of a UV resistant, waterproof tape, about 2 inches wide that can seal up the glass/rubber/metal joint. hopefully about the thickness, etc., of black electricians tape.
my choices appear to be flex tape, eternabond, gorilla waterproof tape, and dicor.
I am looking for any advice/comments/ experiences using these materials.
thanks,
bumpy

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I eternabonded the Mountaineer's sunroof about 5 years ago, and the GX's sunroof 2 years ago. Problem solved.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the roofing section of Home Depot/Lowes you will find a roll of tape that will seal almost anything. It has a silver backing.

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try weed eater line to clean the drain tubes. Less chance of damaging the tubes.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try an air compressor to blow out the drain tubes. It would be best if you know where they drain to and blow up through them.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Common problem... on GM's they use a duckbill fitting where the water comes out the firewall and into the engine compartment. They collect sand and pollen then no draining. [emoticon]

You can cut the end off a little bit and then it will drain, too big of an opening invites bugs. MOST systems consist of hard and soft lines joined somewhere in the drain...air pressurealmost always blows them apart, usually way up under the dash where you can't reach...Murphy's Law.

Happy Trails ">
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used speedometer cables to run them clean.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered a magnetic sheet which I place over the sunroof. The material is white, the vehicle is white so it matches without being seen. Want to use the sunroof, simply pull off the sheet, roll it up and carry it until the vehicle is parked again. The magnetic sheet, which I bought on Amazon, stays on the roof while driving, no matter how fast I drive. Simple solution, stops the leak and still allows me use of the sunroof.

[email protected]

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chast wrote:

I ordered a magnetic sheet which I place over the sunroof. The material is white, the vehicle is white so it matches without being seen. Want to use the sunroof, simply pull off the sheet, roll it up and carry it until the vehicle is parked again. The magnetic sheet, which I bought on Amazon, stays on the roof while driving, no matter how fast I drive. Simple solution, stops the leak and still allows me use of the sunroof.

thanks, will search amazon, can you be a little more specific?
thanks,
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> leaking sunroof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.