Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: leaking sunroof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> leaking sunroof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Hi, my wife's BMW X-3 has a Moon roof that has leaked. First thing that you have to do is to find the bottom of the drains. They tend to stick shut as they dry out. Usually pinching the ends with your fingers will un-stick them. Open the roof all of the way and locate the drain holes. With a small funnel, I pour Simple Green down the drains to clean the dirt out of the tubes. Then I flush the drain tubes out with several gallons of water.

But even if you do a perfect clean out, in a really hard California down pour, the drains aren't quick enough. We now keep this car in the garage and out of the rain. This will be our last Sun Roof vehicle.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP hasn't given us a clue about what brand/model sunroof we're try to give advice about but if they want to tape it up permanently, I'd vote for Eternabond from https://www.bestmaterials.com/Eternabond.aspx

I found out years ago that if I parked my HHR (w/sunroof) nose up in the driveway, I'd have trouble with moisture inside. If on the other hand I parked it facing down slope (my driveway's not that steep) I've had no problem since. Works for me.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The magnetic sheet sounds like the best solution, but if not, my experience with Gorilla tape is that it sticks like a sun-of-a-gun. And holds up well to UV.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpy—From Amazon—Wall 26. 24x60” .30 mil Super Strong, Flexible Magnetic material—$27.49. Hope this helps.

[email protected]

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chast wrote:

Bumpy—From Amazon—Wall 26. 24x60” .30 mil Super Strong, Flexible Magnetic material—$27.49. Hope this helps.

thanks, . opening is 19 x 36 so it has 5 inches of "stickum" area so should work. with this I can take my time trying to unplug tubes.
thanks again
bumpy

* This post was edited 04/07/20 08:29am by Bumpyroad *

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just an update, Chast hit it out of the park. magnetic sheet does the job and I can try to unblock tubes at my convenience.
thanks
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> leaking sunroof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.