Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: My have things changed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My have things changed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Yep, must be a magic unicorn. Everyone one else including the engine manufacturers, must be wrong when they say that adding a turbo to a diesel increases it's efficiency 20% along with added power and a significant reduction in black smoke.

I agree that any reduction in black smoke means that more fuel was burned properly and converted to useful power. We have probably lost some efficiency over the years due to pollution control requirements so the gains from the turbo may not be as visible as the 20% that you mention though.

Do you have any information on the back pressure increase due to running a turbo, how much power that robs from the engine and how it balances with the power generated by feeding pressurized air into the engine? I would expect that feeding air into 6.7l engine at 32psi and 2700rpm would generate several horsepower compared with the slight vacuum encountered by a natural aspirated engine.

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

jaycocamprs wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

BenK wrote:

Gasoline has fewer BTU's per unit measure than diesel, so diesel will most always produce more power per gallon

Nope. Not the way it works Ben. Nitomethane is the most commonly used powerful motor fuel ever. Look up how many BTU's it has.

Yea but the nitro cars are burning close to 5 gallons of it, in a 1000 feet

Nope. Try 13 to 15 gallons/ run.

And that's my point. It has so little BTU's/gallon it take a lot of fuel to make a run.

Wow, everybody bit on that one! The subject was about gasoline and diesel right? Not methane, butane, propane, nitromethane, JP5, solid oxide (since we went down that road) or any other fuel. Nitromethane is just a bit off topic and not germane to the subject. It wasn't hard to understand what BenK stated, "Gasoline has fewer BTU's per unit measure than diesel (any dispute?), so diesel will most always produce more power per gallon." It can be added (than gasoline) for anyone that may have missed it or didn't understand that point. Forgive me if this comes across as "mean spirited" but this definitely took a left turn down the rabbit hole.

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/20 12:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

E&J push'n wind wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

jaycocamprs wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

BenK wrote:

Gasoline has fewer BTU's per unit measure than diesel, so diesel will most always produce more power per gallon

Nope. Not the way it works Ben. Nitomethane is the most commonly used powerful motor fuel ever. Look up how many BTU's it has.

Yea but the nitro cars are burning close to 5 gallons of it, in a 1000 feet

Nope. Try 13 to 15 gallons/ run.

And that's my point. It has so little BTU's/gallon it take a lot of fuel to make a run.

Wow, everybody bit on that one! The subject was about gasoline and diesel right? Not methane, butane, propane, nitromethane, JP5, solid oxide (since we went down that road) or any other fuel. Nitromethane is just a bit off topic and not germane to the subject. It wasn't hard to understand what BenK stated, "Gasoline has fewer BTU's per unit measure than diesel (any dispute?), so diesel will most always produce more power per gallon." It can be added (than gasoline) for anyone that may have missed it or didn't understand that point. Forgive me if this comes across as "mean spirited" but this definitely took a left turn down the rabbit hole.

It's interesting that although diesel has a little ore BTUs per gallon it has about the same BTUs per pound as gasoline.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

klr650goldwing

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/20 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently bought a newer truck and retired our 16-year-old truck. The old truck had 310 HP and 425 lbs. of torque. The new truck has 440 HP and 925 lbs of torque. I love every single HP and every single pound of torque. What a tremendous difference in ease of towing. I feel much more relaxed while driving down the road. Towing now is pure pleasure and easy in comparison. I liked the old truck, but now I'm in love.

2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My have things changed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.