Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: And Texas Caves In
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > And Texas Caves In

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 77  
Prev  |  Next
rltorpey

The land of taxes

Senior Member

Joined: 06/16/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/10/20 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:


Sometimes IMHO "young and in shape" may not be all that it seems. It may not mean those class of folks are "healthy" just because they're not overweight and move around a lot.

I once read an article that has really stuck in my mind: The author stated that the best way to insure that one is healthy, and stays that way, is by the continual monitoring of one's blood chemistry and continually adjusting one's exercise and food so as to maintain their ideal chemistry profile between blood tests. I believe that the author had a complete blood workup every 6 months and would make lifestyle adjustments based on any factors changing too much, or any factors that were out of range.

Maybe - in America at least - young is not always healthy and/or fit ... regardless of their seemingly good body weight index and amount of repetitive body movements. [emoticon]


pnichols makes an excellent point here. My granddaughter is 18 years old and lives with me now since her college has gone totally online. I'm 61, yet I worry more about her contracting Covid 19 than I worry about myself. I run 10 miles a day, 3 times a week, and ran the NYC Marathon in November 2017. My granddaughter shops for jeans in the ultra skinny section but she is very sedentary and her diet is very unhealthy. Her immune system should be pretty strong because she's quite young but I'm sorry to say that she does little to help it.

Regarding the impact this is having on our grandkids, it's already impacting mine. My granddaughter is finishing her first year of a 4 year Nursing program. She's not sure whether she'll be able to go back in the fall because she's lost her part time job that helps pay for her education and she isn't sure whether she'll be able to work this summer. Many of her friends from school are in the same situation.

I teach for the college she's attending. It's a state school so she doesn't get any benefits due to me teaching there, but I just wanted to mention that a lot of my students are being impacted by this. Many of our students come from the NYC area. Our administration is afraid that next fall's enrollment is going to be significantly lower because of the financial impact this is having on our students. Enrollment is already down in my department from where we would expect it to be at this time. As an EMT, I'm all for saving lives but as an educator I'm very aware of the price the kids are paying. It's a very difficult balance to strike.

bid_time

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 08/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/10/20 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted





rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

Senior Member

Joined: 04/01/2005

View Profile



Posted: 04/10/20 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks should take multivitamins with chelated minerals (the most bioavailable form of mineral, like what's found in nature) if they want to stay healthy. I've been taking them for almost 30 years, and I can't recall the last time I've had flu symptoms... it's been years. Vitamins and minerals must both be present for the body to make the needed enzymes.

Did you know that Medicare pays a hospital $13,000 for every Covid-19 patient they admit? But if the hospital puts that patient in a coma and intubates them, the hospital gets $39,000. You can figure it out from there.


Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point


pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/10/20 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

California had 5 confirmed cases (first was February 28) not including the Diamond Princess Cruise passengers when Texas reported it's first non Diamond Princess case on March 5. I wouldn't consider that a huge head start.


It is when doubling takes place every 3 days.

now 500,000 cases in USA.

* This post was edited 04/10/20 04:34pm by pianotuna *


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

1968mooney

Fl.

Senior Member

Joined: 09/09/2015

View Profile



Posted: 04/10/20 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Folks should take multivitamins with chelated minerals (the most bioavailable form of mineral, like what's found in nature) if they want to stay healthy. I've been taking them for almost 30 years, and I can't recall the last time I've had flu symptoms... it's been years. Vitamins and minerals must both be present for the body to make the needed enzymes.

Did you know that Medicare pays a hospital $13,000 for every Covid-19 patient they admit? But if the hospital puts that patient in a coma and intubates them, the hospital gets $39,000. You can figure it out from there.


How much more do they get when they die ? [emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/10/20 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

US death rate hits a new record today. Not on the back side of the curve yet.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 12/13/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/10/20 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

T18skyguy wrote:

free radical wrote:

Wuhan China ends lockdown as Covid19 efectively controled

https://youtu.be/H6dQVyz0syw

Yes, but it took them 76 days, and they have complete control of their citizens. Not at all like in this country. We depend on voluntary compliance, which has actually worked quite well. The battle between micro-organism's and macro-organism's has been going on for eons. There has probably been millions of pandemics, that's exactly why we have an immune system. An event like this "culls the herd" and makes the rest stronger. It's natural selection at work. I know it's a stark description, but it's true. The virus adapts, then we adapt. Statistically, it is not 1%. It's been averaging 2.5% to 3.5% overall. Over the course of my career, I've probably intubated about 10,000 people. It's not the way you want to leave this world. To tolerate intubation, they not only sedate you but often paralyze you with medication. So your gagging but you can't move. It's horrible. Then you die from suffocation anyway if your an unlucky one. Once they get a vaccine, and we get herd immunity, it will be more like the flu. It does look like, for the most part, they have avoided a catastrotphe that could have gone to a million or more.


Your post above reminded me of something I've been wondering about recently: Medical science has brought us all kinds of wonderful things and ways to help ill and injured humans ... including such devices as artificial heart machines that support the body's blood flow temporarily while the heart is being operated on.

When is medical science going to come up with a machine - operating beside the patient's bed - that the patient's blood can be diverted temporarily through and oxygenated before being returned into the patient?

A medical device like this could maybe keep folks alive while their lungs and/or trachea recovered from some kind of damage or disease ... without having to intube patients and use respirators on them.

A blood oxygenation machine like this could also be used during artificial lung implants once that becomes viable: https://aabme.asme.org/posts/artificial-........-real-hope-to-future-transplant-patients

Quote:

When is medical science going to come up with a machine - operating beside the patient's bed - that the patient's blood can be diverted temporarily through and oxygenated before being returned into the patient?

You and I could of made a billions off that idea, but they already have it. It's called ECMO, or Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, and it works at the bedside. When it gets to that point a lot of patients won't live, but some do.


Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/10/20 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

California had 5 confirmed cases (first was February 28) not including the Diamond Princess Cruise passengers when Texas reported it's first non Diamond Princess case on March 5. I wouldn't consider that a huge head start.


It is when doubling takes place every 3 days.

now 500,000 cases in USA.
How many cases were there a month ago? Or could the increase be mostly due to more testing, and not necessarily more infected?


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 12/13/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/10/20 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

T18skyguy wrote:

Yes, but it took them 76 days, and they have complete control of their citizens. Not at all like in this country. We depend on voluntary compliance, which has actually worked quite well. The battle between micro-organism's and macro-organism's has been going on for eons. There has probably been millions of pandemics, that's exactly why we have an immune system. An event like this "culls the herd" and makes the rest stronger. It's natural selection at work. I know it's a stark description, but it's true. The virus adapts, then we adapt. Statistically, it is not 1%. It's been averaging 2.5% to 3.5% overall. Over the course of my career, I've probably intubated about 10,000 people. It's not the way you want to leave this world. To tolerate intubation, they not only sedate you but often paralyze you with medication. So your gagging but you can't move. It's horrible. Then you die from suffocation anyway if your an unlucky one. Once they get a vaccine, and we get herd immunity, it will be more like the flu. It does look like, for the most part, they have avoided a catastrotphe that could have gone to a million or more.
Just wondering where you get your percentages. There's no way to figure percentages in a meaningful way since there's no way to know how many people have been exposed to the virus and would test positive. So that percentage has to be based on the number of people who test positive, which is very likely a small number of people who would test positive.

I've been following the worldwide meta-data sites like this one since the beginning of all this. There are also another 5 or 6 similar sites. I see your point that there's no way to calculate all the real positives that might dilute that number, but the flip side is there's no way to calculate all that died without being counted or tested which they estimate are many. The traditional metric is total deceased divided by the number of confirmed cases. All the worldwide sites appear to be in line with whats happening in the U.S. It varies but 2.5% to 3.5% is just an average. Some places are more, some are less. Of course, in area's with people with many co-morbidity's, it will be higher. Incidentally, the site in the link above was created by a 17 year old whiz kid and it's just as good /valid as the other sites. They had him on television and he looks like he hasn't even had his first shave yet.

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/10/20 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way too many people seem to be drinking Trump's happy talk kool-aid. He has no idea what is going on. You cannot arbitrarily decide that May 1 is the date to turn people loose and let them go back to normal. You need testing to do that. Trump is ending any testing by the US Govt at the time we need it most. At the rate we are going, we will not be back to normal on June 15 or Aug 1 or any other date unless we are really fortunate.

It may take until we have a vaccine. That is a lot more likely than a date of May 1 for returning to normalcy. There are something like 50 companies working on a vaccine. We may get one in the fall or next winter. The virus may also mutate into a new form by then.

Base your decisions on public health officials instead of
politicians. Trump wants nothing more than to jump start the economy to save his election chances. He does not care about your health even a little bit.

If you are young and healthy, good for you. Going out in the world you are likely to infect other people even if you don't get the virus yourself. Don't be selfish and risk the health of other people. Stay home.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 77  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > And Texas Caves In
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.