cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brother Printer - DRAFT or Fast Mode

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Brother MFC-J480DW printer. Been using it for years. love it. Laptop died. Got a new Acer Spin 3. Now my print quality options are Normal, Fine or Best. Used to be Fast, Normal, Best. Does anyone know how to get a Fast or Draft print option back? I can almost hear it sucking up all my ink when it prints now, plus it takes forever.

I was running Windows 10 on the old laptop and still running Windows 10 on the new one too. Have a question in to Brother but they are backed up on replies. Thought I would try here just in case. Thank you for your time.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
7 REPLIES 7

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Install the drivers from Brother.
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=usโŒฉ=enโˆ=mfcj480dw_us_eu_as

You will not need to remove the drivers Win 10 gives you.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
FYI - finally figured it out. The new laptop was using a generic Brother print driver. I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled and now it works great. I now have the options of Fast Normal or Best.
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Experiment! Print the same document each way. Time and compare quality.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
My thought would be that since there are still three options, and two of them are the same as before, the third would also be the same, just a different name. So now "Fast" is named "Normal", works the same just different name. My thoughts anyway.

Are these the drivers that come with Windows 10, or did you download drivers from Brother?

Just a thought, but unless you're needing color for everything, pick up a laser printer. No ink to dry out, prints really fast, and cheap.

thank you for trying but the normal is definitely not the same as what I used to have as draft/fast. takes much longer to print under normal and is definitely darker and using more ink. I reloaded the disc software that came with the printer.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Probably the best information you're going to get is by Googling this: "Brother MFC-J480DW printer draft mode"

been there done that and they all tell me how to get to the place where draft is not offered as a choice. thank you for trying.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the best information you're going to get is by Googling this: "Brother MFC-J480DW printer draft mode"
There is something special about camping in an RV.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
My thought would be that since there are still three options, and two of them are the same as before, the third would also be the same, just a different name. So now "Fast" is named "Normal", works the same just different name. My thoughts anyway.

Are these the drivers that come with Windows 10, or did you download drivers from Brother?

Just a thought, but unless you're needing color for everything, pick up a laser printer. No ink to dry out, prints really fast, and cheap.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"