Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best Inverter Generator under $500 for a TC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best Inverter Generator under $500 for a TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Kayteg..What's your opinion of that 1000 watt Sportsman?..Noise..Ease to start or any troubles...One place has them for $149

I considered one of those for a small unit, Bought this similar one, bigger engine, rated at 1200 watt starting, 900 continious.
A year later it still starts easy. It will run my 30 amp converter fine, but if i try it at home, it will not start a 25 cuft GE refrigerator freezer, and yes, I thought it should.
I have used it at 800 watts with a hairdrier, and it seems ok.
I dont know how much I would trust a smaller unit.
I have this one.
Pulsar 1200

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the HF predator 2000 its ok, it works ok, and its not "too" loud. However it is much cheaper than the Honda. I have never used a Champion nor have I heard one run in the campground setting, but there are many who like them. I think I would try some other generator, other than the HF, like I say its ok, there isn't anything in my opinion to brag about. Even when you consider the price I cant really brag about it.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

Kayteg..What's your opinion of that 1000 watt Sportsman?..Noise..Ease to start or any troubles...One place has them for $149

I considered one of those for a small unit, Bought this similar one, bigger engine, rated at 1200 watt starting, 900 continious.
A year later it still starts easy. It will run my 30 amp converter fine, but if i try it at home, it will not start a 25 cuft GE refrigerator freezer, and yes, I thought it should.
I have this one.
Pulsar 1200

Are you comparing 4-cycle inverter generator to 2-cycle "whiner" ???
With refrigerators it makes another story.
Modern, higher end refrigerators are inverter-powered as well.
So 1000W generator should run it.
When you have old fashion fridge with "kicker" motor, you will have the same issue what AC have.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

I have this one.
Pulsar 1200

Are you comparing 4-cycle inverter generator to 2-cycle "whiner" ???
With refrigerators it makes another story.
Modern, higher end refrigerators are inverter-powered as well.
So 1000W generator should run it.
When you have old fashion fridge with "kicker" motor, you will have the same issue what AC have.

NO
He asked about a little 900 watt 2 stroke sportsman.
I stated what a larger 1200 watt surge 900 continious unit I had would do as a comparasion for him.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really like my 700 watt Ryobi that runs on propane only. Will put about 30/35 amps into the battery or run small items. Very light and with no gasoline it can be stored anywhere.

Best of luck on your quest.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll, I have the same one 900 watt Ryobi propane generator and I like it a lot. I really only use it when the solar panels don't have sun. You can still get it at home depot but it's called baja.

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last time I was in sam's club they had a inverter generator I believe 2200 with a 30 amp plug and also came with the parallel kit for 449.00. At the time they were offering 100 more off. Seem like a deal but I didn't another generator.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 12:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best $500 generator is a used Honda 2k. Or a 1k for cheaper. Get what you pay for.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A big question is what are you trying to run?

If just battery charging, a 1000w unit can be a good option.

If you want to run the air/con 2000w is the bare minimum and really 2500-3500w is much better.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason I am asking as there is a ton of small inverter generators I have never heard of before..Energizer even makes one,names I have never heard of..Most are worthless kinda as far as noise goes..

Our Delta Bravo bought a Pulsar i2200 or something like that and I watched his video on it yesterday..He used it once and sold it mostly because of the noise if I took it right.. That's the kinda input I am looking for..

There is a guy on youtube that does great reviews and even tries some of them out with his 26ft TT running the AC/Fireplace/water heater etc with noise db and actual runtime running RV stuff..I forget his name right now but I have watched a ton of his videos of the top and not so top, small inverter generators..

Westinghouse and Wen both fair well with Wen fairly cheap..A few others do also but are more money...Onan apparently has put there name on the Westinghouse..I assume like Weatherby did with the Vanguard series rifles..Made by Howa but made to Weatherby specs with some differences over the Howa rifle...Great rifles by the way..

I have a Generac 4000XL that has been a great generator other than the noise..Every bit as reliable as my Honda 3000 but the little Generac IQ models are mostly over $500 with most over $600..So I am relying on reviews with a grain of salt..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best Inverter Generator under $500 for a TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.