cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended warranty. What are your thoughts

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
My 2017 Ford dually 350 truck has 12,000 miles on it. Thinking of buying an extended warranty????? I was picking up a B&W hitch I purchase at supply shop just after I purchased the Ford and ran into a Dodge service manager. He told me years ago that the best advice he would give anyone is to purchase an extended warranty before your truck factory warranty runs out. With the newer truck electronics, if anything needs replacing it will cost you thousands.

Any recommendations and or advice?
Chuck
61 REPLIES 61

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If I bought a bare bones vehicle I wouldn't get an extended warranty. however my tacoma has so many bells and whistles, electrical stuff, expensive to diagnose and replace if they go bad I got the max length factory warranty on it.
I note that these ads for aftermarket plans are careful to state that they pick up 100% of "covered items". I guess that means 0% on non-covered losses.

bumpy

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an extended warranty on an 01 Duramax 3500 DRW. Cost me 1800. Right before I traded it at 100K, the ECM went out and cost $1800 to fix which the warranty picked up. Being a first year engine and tranny, I felt it was worth the cost. As it turned out I barely came out, I have never bought another warranty. I cant think of a time that I needed it, my 5500 could have used it but it never would have covered the issue I had since it was so far over OEM warranty.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I Never did on any product
buy only new trucks (Chevy) and drive normaly,served me well over 40 years or so.
Extended waranty is waste of money imo

IF I was puling heavy loads I would get truck that has way more power then needed so as not to overload it.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Seena lotta Ecodiesel issues in this thread. Curious what they were. Emissions, fuel, other stuff?

Reluctor,egr cooler, and misc intake.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
there must be a bunch of profit in the 3rd party "warranties'. I keep getting their ads. read their postcard to get a company name to do a search on the web for comments/etc. and there isn't a name anywhere.
seems fishy
bumpy

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
If I owned a Ford diesel, I would have an extended warranty.
X2
Be sure the HPFP is covered.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Lombard Ford. They offer genuine Ford coverage (that's the only way to go) for a discounted price.

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
My DH works for a Ford Dealership and has a 2016 ford 250. Hes refused all extra warranties.. The FIL worked for 35 years at a Ford Engine Plant and he also refuses the extra stuff.. So I would say no....
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Seena lotta Ecodiesel issues in this thread. Curious what they were. Emissions, fuel, other stuff?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
They didn't on me with the Eco diesel. I paid 2400 and they paid out over 6k in my cost, theirs??. Maybe more as towing was included. I won on that one...

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are lucky and unlucky folks everywhere. The lucky feel extended warranties aren't worth a penny. The unlucky folks feel they're worth every penny.

I guess you could say I'm one of the unlucky. I've been a believer in various kinds of insurance (for many big ticket items) for many years. I don't blindly purchase; I do the same homework/research I would use for the purchase of any big ticket item---I shop around, read the fine print. All said and done, I'm way, way ahead of the curve in terms of ROI.

If you're one of the lucky, yes, YMMV.

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I`ve owned several vehicles over the years and have lost money on 1 Extended warranty. Before my Ram turns 3,I will purchase an extended warranty for it. 2005 Ford Explorer is the vehicle I lost money on the warranty.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
Someone is making a lot of money on the extended plans - and it's not you.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Please remove. Duplicate.