cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Roadside Assistance to select this year

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
It has come time to renew my Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan. However, you now have to pay $149.95 for their Platinum Plan to get coverage for a 5th wheel trailer.
I noticed that our Texas AAA has a Premier Plan for $116.00 that seems to cover your vehicles and your RV.
Who do you use for a roadside assistance plan? Anyone tried the AAA plan? How easy is it to get AAA out if needed, as opposed to Good Sam?
Thanks,
Jeff
13 REPLIES 13

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
those with AAA better check with them. if your on rt 10 in texas about 100 miles from no where ,don,t think there coming. told this by a AAA agent in ohio.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
mowingman wrote:
It has come time to renew my Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan. However, you now have to pay $149.95 for their Platinum Plan to get coverage for a 5th wheel trailer.
I noticed that our Texas AAA has a Premier Plan for $116.00 that seems to cover your vehicles and your RV.
Who do you use for a roadside assistance plan? Anyone tried the AAA plan? How easy is it to get AAA out if needed, as opposed to Good Sam?
Thanks,
Jeff

There are a number of Road Side Assistance plans BUT not all are equal. You need to do a side by side comparison of the plans you are considering. What are the limitations, exceptions and conditions? i.e. the AAA plan is not available in every city or areas or states. Check carefully before not after you buy the plan. AAA services are NOT primarly for RV services or needs UNLIKE Good Sam plans. No RSA plan is %100 perfect, you will always have a few issues once in a while. In one case I had to call Good Sam customer service to resolve the $850 tow cost. The original agent was at fault because she was not trained sufficently. The customer service administrator apologized and sent me a $850 check for my tow in 2 days.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Itโ€™s called TOWING coverage that does include roadside assistance. I have had it on every vehicle I have owned.

Next???!!!

Spud with all that head scratchin you do you should be bald by now.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Had GS when we had a 5th wheel. No help available when we had a blowout. Now have Coach Net. Used them 2 times. First required 2 tows both more than 100 miles. befire we got to a dealer who would service our Class C with a blown radiator. Never saw a bill. Last year had a tire leaking. They came out and replaced the valve, no bill.

Would not change from Coach Net. 1 phone call is all that was needed both times.

When looking for the replacement for GS, looked at AAA. Each location has different rules for RV's some do some don't. You do not know till you need them.
Jim Hunter

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have towing on my RV and Tow vehicle thru my auto insurance. Towing coverage is dirt cheap, truly don't understand buying GoodSam, AAA etc???

Why? Because most insurance companies don't have the option of purchasing Roadside Assistance. :h
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have heard quite a few bad stories about good Sam roadside assistance. However, I don't think I want to try changing tires along the side of the road anymore. I am going to call my State Farm agent and see what they offer since I have my RV insurance there. AAA is my other option I think.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We now have a Class C RV so would need assistance changing tires, etc.-we do carry a spare. Carry AAA RV Roadside Assistance. We travel distances and figure AAA is pretty much available everywhere in U.S.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ScottG wrote:
Absolutely none. I've need RSA once in 30+ years of RVing.
I am money ahead even if I need service down the road. I admit I have the luxury of being able to change my own tires though and I understand that some have physical limitations making that impossible.

RSA is an insurance policy or like an extended warranty. It depends on a multitude of factors, but barring physical inability coupled with a high propensity for issues (maybe one has an old bomber with old tires and a bad transmission, but budgets repairs as they are necessary, not pre-emptively), RSA is not generally a good ROI.

BUT back in college, I was (poor) snow plowing, contract plowing with an old beat up Blazer. I knew that thing would be on the end of a tow truck more than once. Bought a year of AAA RSA with towing to cover getting it home. Best $100 I ever spent. But if any of my newer or well maintained vehicles caused me to feel I'd need RSA, I'd be changing it out for something else to drive.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have towing on my RV and Tow vehicle thru my auto insurance. Towing coverage is dirt cheap, truly don't understand buying GoodSam, AAA etc???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
We have used Coach Net and been satified. Previously had Good Sam but after numerous bad experiences of getting roadside service switched.

We are at the age where changing a tire, etc. is something we don't want to try and do on the side of a major highway that's why roadside assistance is necessary.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Absolutely none. I've need RSA once in 30+ years of RVing.
I am money ahead even if I need service down the road. I admit I have the luxury of being able to change my own tires though and I understand that some have physical limitations making that impossible.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard too many RSA horror stories for me to ever subscribe to a particular plan. My Farmer's agent tells me to pay for the tow, tire change, etc and Farmer's will reimburse me. Sounds like a plan.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I donโ€™t have a fifth wheel but hereโ€™s my input. I bought my Newmar brand new and it came with 5 years of RSS from Ford. It just turned four. At the end of year five, I will add RSS coverage to my Progressive insurance policy. I think itโ€™s about $50 a year. I had it on a previous MH and had to call them once. They did fine. My auto insurance company also offers RSS and itโ€™s dirt cheap and I signed up for it on both our daily drivers.

One thing to consider. If you break down in a metropolitan area there may be competing tow companies so the RSS sellers may have more than one to pick from. If you need them in a remote area, there may only be one to choose from which they will all use.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT