Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Question about having camper setup in near freezing temps.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Question about having camper setup in near freezing temps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The water heater will not be a problem if it is on. Perhaps if you have an outside tap and pump switch, you can just turn off the pump outside, and relieve the water pressure through the outside tap. This should relieve both hot and cold,(correct me if Im wrong someone) water pressure. From what I understand, many pipes that burst, do so because the water in the line increases the pressure as it freezes. If there is no pressure in the lines, nothing should increase enough to hurt the pipes. I agree that temps at night near freezing generally isn't enough to freeze the pipes, unless you have several continuous days below freezing. By relieving the pressure from the outside, you do not have to risk going into the camper, and possibly have cross contamination. This kind of defeats the purpose of isolation. Your wife can just turn the pump back on inside, and its ready to go. She can also just turn off the pump herself, and relieve the pressure on the inside taps. Good luck, I hope this helps.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A quick dip of a few hours around 30 degrees is very unlikely to cause anything to freeze up, frankly.

PEX tubing generally can withstand freezing water in the tubing itself; the problems usually occur at the elbows and connectors and other fittings, which are less malleable. Leaving a faucet open or the pump off won't do anything significant to change things in terms of freeze damage (nor will it hurt anything); however, leaving the pump off is probably not a bad idea in case a leak should develop to reduce secondary damage. Leaving the water heater on is fine, and logically would be safer than having it off since there's no way the water inside the tank can freeze when it's maintained at 140 degrees. The main supply tank freezing is not a concern at all for this sort of weather because the thermal mass of the water stored in it will prevent it from freezing overnight at these temperatures.

In short, I don't think you have much of anything to worry about so long as the lows are just dipping down around 30 and the wind is not super strong and the daytime temperatures are at least somewhat warmer. It's probably not even necessary to disconnect the hose, though that's a reasonable thing to do on principle alone. (Of course, with the hose it's only the fittings that are a concern; the elasticity of the hose proper makes freezing in that part a non-issue unless you need to get liquid water through the ice.)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While in use running the furnace etc you should not have to do anything special until the temperatures are dropping to about 25 or less. Do keep the fresh water tank near full in case the outside hose or supply gets a touch of frost. Watch your propane closely. Consider an extra cylinder if this is semi long term.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input, I figured I would be OK, but we are on the edge of town, a bit of a rural area, sometimes the temp drops a few degrees below the forecast so I just want to be safe. I do have second propane tank to exchange when it gets low and I'm keeping a close eye on it.

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoshuaH wrote:

The fresh water tank on this camper is mounted under it and is also exposed, so I'm not sure if running the water from it is going to help any or not.
You can put away the city water hose, which is really exposed.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

30 Degrees should be no problem . Here in Fl we have many nites that reach the low thirties . Myself I do not believe that any thing is necessary.Even my water hoses will not freeze with several hours of 30 degrees .

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I havw the pipe insulation around my low point pipes. Could wrap a towel around it and tape it up. Instead of making a trip to home depot.

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/20 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tend to think you really don't have to worry. Typically the coldest part of the night is at daybreak. That low will be very short lived.

Ridgeway, SC

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/20 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can drain the fresh lines. Blow the lines out with an air compressor and a blow out adapter (Any RV store, even Wal-Mart) use a decent size tanked compressor (Mine is six gallons) and do multple blows if you are worried.

If you are not worried and at 30 overnight low I'd not be. Just drain 'em an leave the low point vlaves open so they do not gather water

Put some gallons or a 5 gallon container INSIDE for use.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

30 degrees for a couple hours isn't enough to damage anything. I'd put water in the tank though, because that large mass of water will take substantially longer to freeze. I would use an electric heater rather than propane... the propane costs will quickly start to add up, but a 1500 watt heater will do fine heating that small of a camper. Heck, you could even put the heater on a timer that comes on an hour before she comes home to save from heating the camper all night.

Tell her to stay safe!

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Question about having camper setup in near freezing temps.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.