cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel heater

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody installed a diesel heater in there TC. Would like to install where original duroFlame heater is. All the youTube videos are in Vans in random locations.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)
15 REPLIES 15

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Darryl&Rita wrote:
They need service. Unless you want the smell of diesel fuel in the rig, mount them outside. The service includes breaking the fuel lines to replace the nozzle and filter.

Can you elaborate? How often do they need servicing? What is involved?
What are you mounting outside, the tank?

The heated air will not smell of diesel.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
JD5150 wrote:
tuna fisher wrote:
I've looked at YT but all are install in van, want to see in use in TC. Don't want to install tank on the outside and prefer to install in exsiting heater space where current Duro Flame is. If that can't be done I'll stick with the Duro as I don't use heater that much. My main reason for wanting is battery use, from what I understand it uses very little power.

Look up Explorer 867 on You Tube. He does a very clean install in a commercial truck canopy/cap. He has part 1 & 2 videos and the controller setup video. Total of three videos. His videos are very easy to follow.
He uses a two gallon boat fuel tank for the diesel inside the cap. Hope that helps.
JD, Thanks for the YT video tip, very good explanation of the heater install. Answered a lot of questions in reguards to size and space needed, which with a TC is important.

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
tuna fisher wrote:
I've looked at YT but all are install in van, want to see in use in TC. Don't want to install tank on the outside and prefer to install in exsiting heater space where current Duro Flame is. If that can't be done I'll stick with the Duro as I don't use heater that much. My main reason for wanting is battery use, from what I understand it uses very little power.

Look up Explorer 867 on You Tube. He does a very clean install in a commercial truck canopy/cap. He has part 1 & 2 videos and the controller setup video. Total of three videos. His videos are very easy to follow.
He uses a two gallon boat fuel tank for the diesel inside the cap. Hope that helps.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
All Sprinters with the option have those heaters mounted inside since Sprinter has very convenient space for it in passenger seat pedestal.
Nobody complains about smell.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
They need service. Unless you want the smell of diesel fuel in the rig, mount them outside. The service includes breaking the fuel lines to replace the nozzle and filter.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boat owners in the PNW have used them for years.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The main advantage is that they are very small and you can install them anywhere, using duct to blow the heat in the area of your choice.
It is diesel burner, so it doesn't release all those poisons combustion engine does.
Only worry is CO2 accumulation.
I was also considering the model with coolant heating for heating the water (with heat exchanger), but that would make very complicated project.
If fumes bother you -with small exhaust pipe you can run it any direction you want.
Here is how Sprinter owner reroute the pipe from driver side to passenger side.
For TC I would be tempted to make small coupling on the side and when set - add long pipe above the roof.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have to deal with the clicking fuel pump.
It will use less power, so is a huge factor.
You can use any tank you want, so are not limited to that odd-shaped supplied one.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deleted: no actual experience with these in a truck camper only commercial trucks.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I am in process of installing 1 in my Sprinter van.
Bought Chinese knock-off for about $100, what include 5l (1.3 gallon) tank for it.
I think for TC external installation would be the best, unless you have empty generator compartment.
The flat tank can be mounted anywhere and 1 gallon of diesel last for a long time.
Read reviews on Sprinter forum and they do require cleaning from time to time, so not as maintenance-free like propane furnaces.

Ive heard that burning bit of kerosene once a while cleans it well.
Cant confirm tho,never had problems with my Espar yet.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I am in process of installing 1 in my Sprinter van.
Bought Chinese knock-off for about $100, what include 5l (1.3 gallon) tank for it.
I think for TC external installation would be the best, unless you have empty generator compartment.
The flat tank can be mounted anywhere and 1 gallon of diesel last for a long time.
Read reviews on Sprinter forum and they do require cleaning from time to time, so not as maintenance-free like propane furnaces.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
This person did
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman