cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torklift Talons

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone have experience with the new aluminum Talons and the old steel Torklift tie downs?

Love the system, but my old steel ones get gunned up so bad they are a b#tch to get in/out no matter how much I clean them.

Hoping the new aluminum Talons stay a bit cleaner/less corrosion.

Is it worth the extra $ for the aluminum?

Thx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson
9 REPLIES 9

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Guys. Spoke with TL yesterday. They have tie downs for new 2020 Fords. All tie downs currently on sale- 10% CV discount.

Be safe.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, Talons are definitely worth the extra money. I just installed a set on my new 2020 Ram. Had to work with Etrailer and Torklift, as they didn't have a listing for '19 and '20 trucks yet. I had Talons on my 2015 Ram I traded in, and they are now sitting on my workbench waiting to be cleaned up so I can put them up for sale.

I lived with the steel Torklift mounts on my first two Rams, fought with and hated them for years. Usually had to have a hammer with me to insert and remove them. They were awful!

As I said, I had the Talons on my last truck, I think through 4-5 Western NY winters. As the part mounted to the truck is stainless steel, they still work and look fine. The aluminum inserts still have the original gray paint/powdercoat on them.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have had both steel originals and Aluminum Talons. I have had the Talons since 2015 holding my 4600 pound !055 to my 2011 F350 Dually with zero issues In rain, Mud, Ice, Snow, and dirt, they still look new.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigfootgrey wrote:
Talons are the way to go. After almost 9 years of cleaning rust off the steel Torklift tie downs,I installed Talons. It’s only been 2 years but no problems at all. The frame mounted assembly is stainless steel and the inserts are powder coated aluminum. Strong, lightweight and no rust. The steel tie downs got so bad it was almost impossible to install the inserts. Definitely worth it

Right. My steel TL’s got so bad I carry a small sledge. I have cleaned them, coated them, etc, etc.
I really have to work to install/remove them. This has become the hardest part of loading/unloading the TC.

Looks like Talons for the new truck!

Thx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Yip, we got 'em too. They are so easy to handle and they look nice!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Talons have been fine. I think mine are 5 years old with no significant corrosion.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the Talons in salt country here in VT and I am very pleased with them. No issues with corrosion so far and I inspect them very carefully after every trip because I have heard some rumors about weld issues. So far I have no weld issues, no corrosion and they are much lighter than the steel. Been in the salt here now for 4 years and 30,000 miles across the US, Canada and Alaska and the Yukon.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Talons are the way to go. After almost 9 years of cleaning rust off the steel Torklift tie downs,I installed Talons. It’s only been 2 years but no problems at all. The frame mounted assembly is stainless steel and the inserts are powder coated aluminum. Strong, lightweight and no rust. The steel tie downs got so bad it was almost impossible to install the inserts. Definitely worth it
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminium corrodes as well.
Its corrosion makes protective coating (just like with copper) but on parts that move, or get washed the corrosion will eat it.
I had aluminum body motorhome, who spend some time in Ontario and had holes in thick fenders, where I could stick my fingers in.
Torklift has lifetime warranty?
Can you send the old ones for replacement?