Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway bars

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 dodge dually 3500
We are considering 10 to 12 foot camper with 2 slides.
My wifes back doesn't tolerate the sway.
So would larger heavy duty sway bars do the trick.
Currently have ckass c mtr home with e450 and no away at all
L
18 REPLIES 18

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
billtex wrote:
If you think the C has no sway, the TC will feel like a Porsche.

Itโ€™s kind of the other way around.
Billy, from your last post about softening the ride and bounce now to sway (but weโ€™re talking body roll here, not sway,correct) a 2 slide anything will be a lot for a 20 year old Truck and big sway bars will help, but will effectively stiffen the ride too.
Honestly buddy, your wifeโ€™s back canโ€™t handle riding in a HD truck anymore. Iโ€™m sorry to hear that, but a nice 1/2 ton with a small trailer the size of a TC will be the easiest best riding experience for her.

I have no idea what you are talking about.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

dwrat
Explorer
Explorer
Big Wig Hell Wig sway bar made my truck a dream to drive.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You all are missing the point here. This ain't about whether the truck is big enough, it's about Billy's wife's back problems and based on his couple threads about it, it's a fairly acute situation.
Sway bars will only serve to generally stiffen an already stiff riding truck. And regardless of how sqishy the back end is, when loaded, the front suspension is just as stiff and jarring maybe more so , loaded. This doesn't mix with a bad back. At least in my experience.

Aside from suspension, id be thinking seats. A heated fully adjustable seat with 1 or more lumbar supports can make a difference.
Possibly think about upgrading the seats from a newer high end truck if you're able to do that.

Remember it won't help how the truck rides though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
There are people who will post every time that if you put some firewood in the bed that you are over loaded. They over react and panic at the thought of putting something heavy in a big truck. It is easier to just ignore some post.
DRW 3500 truck you can drop almost any TC in there and go. All the upgrades will improve your drive and quality of life and even minimal upgrades are well worth it if you intend to put in miles.
SRW 2500 and also 3500 trucks are also quite capable.
You don't have to fear anything, but you can improve handling and driveability with these upgrades.

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced both stock bars on my 1999 Ram 2500 with Roadmaster's, it made a huge difference. Do the rear first and then decide if you still need the front.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
bookmaker wrote:
Hellwig products

I see nothing under Hellwig but Roadmaster lists a rear bar for a 2001 Dodge.

I'm not sure where you looked, but check here.

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/search-by-vehicle/?Year1=2001&Make=Dodge&Model=Ram+3500
GeoBoy wrote:
c.traveler2 wrote:
Check out

Thatโ€™s interesting, when I used the product finder, I selected 2001 then went to make and nothing. Today itโ€™s working.:h

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Hellwig products

I'm not sure where you looked, but check here.

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/search-by-vehicle/?Year1=2001&Make=Dodge&Model=Ram+3500
GeoBoy wrote:
c.traveler2 wrote:
Check out
Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t get how a 3500 DRW even a Dodge would be overloaded. I could guess that it would ride bad with bad shocks, extremely low tire pressure, worn out suspension components/bushings, bed bushings, and worn out steering components. It would sway without any sway bars, but getting sway bars is what this thread is about.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
10 or 12โ€™ camper with 2 slides is going to be pretty heavy for a 2001 3500 dually.
Agreed. We have a 2001 3500 Dodge dually and it is overloaded with a 2500 lb (dry) Northern Lite 10-2 CD.

Not understanding either of you on that?..Mine is a '94 dually with a close to 4000 TC on the back and it is neither overloaded GVWR wise or even feels anything close to being that.

It handles extremely well for having a 4K TC in the back.

But it is a Ford..Laffin...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
billtex wrote:
If you think the C has no sway, the TC will feel like a Porsche.

Itโ€™s kind of the other way around.
Billy, from your last post about softening the ride and bounce now to sway (but weโ€™re talking body roll here, not sway,correct) a 2 slide anything will be a lot for a 20 year old Truck and big sway bars will help, but will effectively stiffen the ride too.
Honestly buddy, your wifeโ€™s back canโ€™t handle riding in a HD truck anymore. Iโ€™m sorry to hear that, but a nice 1/2 ton with a small trailer the size of a TC will be the easiest best riding experience for her.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I would start with shocks, which you will need anyway. I can't imagine how bad her back is that sway is worse than bridge bumps or other bad roads...
The shocks on the stock truck are meant for much less mass than your TC set-up, Even new shocks will help but yo need an upgrade.
That 3500 is a workhorse. You will be fine.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
Check out Hellwig products

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
10 or 12โ€™ camper with 2 slides is going to be pretty heavy for a 2001 3500 dually.
Agreed. We have a 2001 3500 Dodge dually and it is overloaded with a 2500 lb (dry) Northern Lite 10-2 CD.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Check out Hellwig products
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog