cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suspension & Shocks: doing maintenance & upgrades. Suggestions?

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to gather information on doing some repairs and or maintenance on my RV and truck wile we are stuck home. Not looking gold plated parts, but don't want cheap stuff either. The more information I can get I hope to be better educated on my choices.

Here some for the things I am looking into.

Comfort Ride Slipper Springs and or including the Comfort Ride Shock Absorbers is it the preferred system my many RVers? You think Comfort Ride is that much better than the MoRryde? I have yellow colored shocks on my 2010 DRV now. with the equid flex suspension. Heard that the factory shocks are black in color. The shocks just might of been change out once before. I purchase the RV used several years ago.

I now have a 2017 Ford 350 dually. Would you recommended changing out the shocks on the truck. Years ago I tried to do some research on shocks for my 99 250 Dodge. A lot of people said that the factory shocks on trucks are cheapest of the cheap and ware out fast, around at 20,000 miles. So at 75,000 miles I finally changed them out to heavy duty Bilstens. When I took the factory shocks off the truck, they seems to be functioning fine. Didn't notice any difference in ride at all. So, did some reading later on and a person who worked at a shock manufacturing company wrote a articular stating that the recycling yard is full of good shocks that people have replaced.

Tires: I believe the DRV manual and or tires recommend 90 PSI plus when fully loaded. That doesn't been that I been doing the tire inflation wrong all this time. I tried like hell to find what would be the ideal pressure on my Ford 350 dually from Michelin and Ford company and all I could get out of either was to go by the driverโ€™s side sticker. 60psi in the back and 70 psi in the front cold fully loaded

Bottom line, I guest is that you just do the best you can with the information you have at the time.
Chuck
9 REPLIES 9

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
I have read many, many posts where folks add this, then add that, and even more and when they get done they have spent almost as much as it would have cost for the IS in the beginning.
Now if you're camping is mainly local and low mileage, yes IS is overkill, but if you plan on lots of miles and long distance you can't beat the IS.

The OP has a 2010 MobileSuites and nearly all of their newer RV's have the IS system. If he plans to keep it IMHO it's an investment he will truly love!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read many, many posts where folks add this, then add that, and even more and when they get done they have spent almost as much as it would have cost for the IS in the beginning.
Now if you're camping is mainly local and low mileage, yes IS is overkill, but if you plan on lots of miles and long distance you can't beat the IS.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your going with new shocks on the trailer check to see if the mounts allow for proper compression.

https://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30007955.cfm
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MORryde makes 7k axles along with 8 and 9k.

Two on right are 7k, 9k on left.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
I can compare two different suspensions to conventional, both on a 15,500 GVWR fifth wheel . One was the older MorRyde LRE , as long as the shear springs stay in good shape they tow pretty good. The other is the recently bought fifth wheel with the Comfort Ride, with shocks . Not sure how much better a 15,500 GVWR fifth wheel could tow, its pretty impressive.

Only way one could really know would be to tow the same trailer with the different suspensions, with the SAME truck. They all are going to be different.

IMO the Comfort Ride ,with shocks are as about good as you can get , and I will say short of IS , I say that only because of the obvious increase in price of all the others, I would hope the cost the benefit is there . Me personally I see no need for IS . I am thinking IS probably shines more with the heavy heavy fifth wheels .

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well as for shocks on the TV I would replace with Bilsteinโ€™s, yes the old ones are likely still working somewhat but Bilโ€™s will dampen far better. I had a 2001 Ram 2500 and replaced the shocks at 255,000 miles. They were still charged but the Bilโ€™s I put on did a much better job, stopped the bounce with 5er on first cycle not third. They were the original factory shocks made in 1999!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

I agree with both posts above.... BUT - - - If money does not allow you to jump into a full blown Morryde IS system, their SRE 4000 with wet bolt/HD shackles kits are really good. But remember, that still leaves a week link in the springs, nd hanger mounts...

Our 2020 was delivered with the SRE 4000 towed real nice... we even contemplated cancelling our order for the IS because it towed so nice... Ultimately we kept the appointment and had it installed for several reasons.

Really won't have a fifth wheel without the IS and discs . . .. If you can, COME TO THE DARK SIDE !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I agree IS is one of the best suspension on the market but they are not cheep.You can't have cheep and good.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are planning to keep the RV and want the BEST suspension the MORryde IS puts all others to shame!!!

Others you mention do not impress me.