Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Car trailer questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Car trailer questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sacerdote

St Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been round and round on deciding to flat tow, dolly or buying a car trailer. I have a 24 foot Holiday Rambler class B+ on a Ford F350 frame. It has the 10 cylinder Ford engine. I've yet to take a long trip so not sure of the mileage but what would be your guess as to what would be the penalty for pulling a car trailer will a 3000 pound car?

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the Rambler’s max tow weight? Which 3000 pound car are you considering? Does the manufacturer say your proposed car is four down towable? Pulling a car trailer or dolly is a PITA but you’ve considered that issue? Not all campgrounds are pull thrus.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do you have/want a vehicle that can be towed 4 down? your B van might only have a 3500 lb. hitch rating?
bumpy

Sacerdote

St Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think so based on the cars that might be available. I'm thinking a full towable trailer . The RV has 5000 pound towing capacity

Lwiddis

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So when you can’t get a pull thru campsite, you drop the trailer with the car and put the B into the campsite. Then you get the car off the trailer and park the trailer using the car...somewhere else than the campsite and that might cost extra. Then you park the car next to the B in the campsite. You’re done but not fun! Reverse when leaving. I’d rather stay home! lol

Lwiddis

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/20 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On 3/27 didn’t you post: “I've decided to buy a car to flat tow it behind my Holiday Rambler 235s.” ??

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A car trailer won't tow as well as a towed-car. Plus, with vehicle-size-creep making everything bigger and heavier, it might be nearly impossible to keep a car plus car-trailer under 5k.

I highly recommend finding a towable car, or at least consider a tow-dolly. Nearly all FWDs can be dollied. And FYI all Ford Hybrids (except the new 2020 Explorer and 2020 Lincoln Aviator) are flat-towable, and there's still a small handful of other makes, although that list is quickly dwindling.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/20 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

A car trailer won't tow as well as a towed-car. Plus, with vehicle-size-creep making everything bigger and heavier, it might be nearly impossible to keep a car plus car-trailer under 5k.

I highly recommend finding a towable car, or at least consider a tow-dolly. Nearly all FWDs can be dollied. And FYI all Ford Hybrids (except the new 2020 Explorer and 2020 Lincoln Aviator) are flat-towable, and there's still a small handful of other makes, although that list is quickly dwindling.

I use to tow a trailer behind motorhome and did not find it towing any different from flat towing, however flat towing is easy easier to hook up than loading a car onto a trailer and no need for a trailer to deal with at campground.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/20 12:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

So when you can’t get a pull thru campsite, you drop the trailer with the car and put the B into the campsite. Then you get the car off the trailer and park the trailer using the car...somewhere else than the campsite and that might cost extra. Then you park the car next to the B in the campsite. You’re done but not fun! Reverse when leaving. I’d rather stay home! lol

I'd like to see the car come off the trailer without being hooked to the tow vehicle stunt!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/20 01:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileage, 12 empty, 8 towing. More if you drive like molasses, less if you are a motivated driver.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Car trailer questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.