cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide - In or Out

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have noticed driving around that many people have their slides open while camper is not in use. Perhaps they are using them but I don't think so.

Curious about opinions on this. I would think it would be better to keep it closed when not using.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf
13 REPLIES 13

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
RICK-ards Red wrote:
hondapro stated "Unless there is a chance of getting snow or ice build up on them".
I agree with hondapro but-----

I had noticed that a local RV dealer this past winter had kept most of the trailer slides open during the winter with a build up of snow on each one. I might just stop in one day and ask "why?"

Most of those trailers probably don't have batteries in them and they want the slides out to show them to customers. They dont care that the snow will melt and run inside and damage stuff.

I fail to see why slides would be left out. Dirt and leaves, bird poop, everything can collect on the slides. I would want them in. Only when I would be setting up for a trip would I want them out.

However, I don't have a slide and glad I do not, one less step to set up and take down and one less mechanical problem to maintain, worry about or have fail.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
I can think of zero harm in leaving them in when not in use. There is variables that canโ€™t be avoided when they are left out. Simple as that.

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
I always keep the slides in when parked at the house until I get ready to go camping or maintenance or cleaning.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine in for the simple reason that a branch broke and poked a hole in the slide roof about 3 years ago. I now keep it in.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
hondapro stated "Unless there is a chance of getting snow or ice build up on them".
I agree with hondapro but-----

I had noticed that a local RV dealer this past winter had kept most of the trailer slides open during the winter with a build up of snow on each one. I might just stop in one day and ask "why?"
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think it's marginally better for them to be in but since I'm in and out of there all winter doing projects and such, I leave the main slide out.
Either way isn't a game changer IMHO.

This is another question that will get 50/50 answers, with none of them being wrong.

I usually keep my IN while not using, ONLY because it is in my driveway and when the slides are out, they are over grass on the 1 side. I cannot get to the grass under those slides when cutting, rather than closing and opening every grass cut, I choose to keep them closed.

I am plugged into a dedicated 50amp power source with the fridge on during camping season.

when I winterize in late October, they go IN and usually stay in till a few weeks before our 1st trip of the season...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer sits beside the house plugged up with both slides out year around, never an issue.
A well maintained trailer I might add.

Oh, I do put them in while traveling.....better gas mileage.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My slide is in when the RV is not in use. Personal preference.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My thoughts are when they are in birds and other critters have fewer places to get in or build nests. Water has less small openings to come in through. In most cases but not all I have access to areas I need to get to inside. Access to storage bays is easier when slides are in. May be different with a TT.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Always in during storage. I see too much daylight underneath and in corners for insects, moisture, etc. It looks nice and tight when closed.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays in when not in use.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the trailer is set up and leveled there is no harm done in leaving the slides out. Unless there is a chance of getting snow or ice build up on them.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion