cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just curious......

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you pulling a 30' or bigger TT with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel truck.....what kind of fuel mileage are you getting?
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
25 REPLIES 25

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
9-11 while towing
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We got 9-11 MPG pulling the Dart with a 4L Frontier.
Now, with the Silverado, 10-13. With 8 more gallons of gas, not as many gas stops.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, those of you with big trucks and big trailers probably think that if you went smaller, you'd get better mileage, right?

Nope. I have a Tacoma 4 liter and a tiny 12 foot trailer, and I get around 10 mpg, just like the big guys.

The problem is wind resistance, rather than length or weight. To use an often-quoted analogy, it's like towing a 4x8 piece of plywood perpendicular to the direction of travel.

I have decided that bad MPG is just the price of admission -- no way to avoid it. The good news is that due to the bad mileage, I have to stop every couple of hours for gas. That means a bathroom break!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

I'm with bucky . . ..

All 3 of my diesels have produced around 8-9-10 depending on terrain, speed and conditions while pulling 15k to 16.5k fivers

*****. There was this one time coming home from Indiana that I had a 35-40mph tail wind... It was blowing HARD. There were times I was up over 13-14 on flat roads staying at 60..

The problem is my foot hurts at 60..... :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lot of fishing stories on here. Like a campfire that is, blowing smoke.
I've had 3 diesel trucks towing a 30 foot Jayco TT and 2 tall 5ers.
All 3 have gotten 10 mpg regardless of hills or wind speed and direction and we've been up some big hills.
If you want to toodle along at 50 mph on the interstates you can do better of course.
It doesn't really matter of course cause be all love doing it.
Puma 30RKSS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
scbwr wrote:
Never had a diesel truck, but over time, I came to this conclusion re tow vehicles and towing. All you can do is make sure your truck is running properly and up to specs. After that, any checking of gas mileage is only good for monitoring any change that could be indicative of a problem. Otherwise, ignore the mileage as it's never that good when you are pulling a trailer with flat surface areas that create so much drag and resistance. There are no "miracle cures". The only thing you can do is keep your speed down, manage gear shifts where applicable, accelerate gently when possible and keep the truck in top condition. Aside from that, fill the tank when necessary and just enjoy the ride!

One more thing. When towing, no matter which direction you're headed, it's into the wind!
It seems I can recall bucking nasty head winds a hundred times, but only remember a good tail wind 3 times! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a Puma 25RS with a 2007 Cheverolet PU with a 5.3 Engine. The average mpg runs at 10-13. Not towing the trailer on the interstate it averages about 20-22 MPG. Pulling my utility trailer with a load...about 16 mpg average. It looks like everyone is getting about the same.
Mark

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
Tow my 31 foot Jayco, 7000 pound with a Excursion. On level ground 10-11. On hills 8-9. Excursion empty about 14-15.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
About 11.5-12.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had a diesel truck, but over time, I came to this conclusion re tow vehicles and towing. All you can do is make sure your truck is running properly and up to specs. After that, any checking of gas mileage is only good for monitoring any change that could be indicative of a problem. Otherwise, ignore the mileage as it's never that good when you are pulling a trailer with flat surface areas that create so much drag and resistance. There are no "miracle cures". The only thing you can do is keep your speed down, manage gear shifts where applicable, accelerate gently when possible and keep the truck in top condition. Aside from that, fill the tank when necessary and just enjoy the ride!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
10.75 average on west coast and mid west.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Ride_S40T
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
Come on diesel guys, my Eco Boost gets 30 mpg while towing and over 50 mpg empty on the flat. Ok, I will go back into my lonely house and irritate myu wife some more. Someone said that we needed someone to make crazy claims. My wife locked the door and told me to go sleep in the TT.

๐Ÿ˜„ Yeah...I'm at 28' and less than 6500 loaded and only get 10-11 at 65-70mph. Bone stock SRW 2019 GMC 3500 w/Duramax. Still getting broke in though, only 15K miles. Oddly, got 10mpg hauling same trailer with a GMC 1500 with the 5.3L gasser.

Guessing some of the numbers above are from emissions gutted systems and/or with a tuner in some cases. Need me a tuner, for starters, for sure.
2021 Grand Design 268BH
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I tow a 39 foot 12000lb 5th with a 2014 stock f350, i live in the mountians and get between 11 and 15 mpg(US) depending on my speed and wind conditions.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Come on diesel guys, my Eco Boost gets 30 mpg while towing and over 50 mpg empty on the flat. Ok, I will go back into my lonely house and irritate myu wife some more. Someone said that we needed someone to make crazy claims. My wife locked the door and told me to go sleep in the TT.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired