Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Propane tank age out, refurbish or replace?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane tank age out, refurbish or replace?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My local refiller recertifies free for regular customers, but I just replaced a 30# that had already been recertified twice and was looking a little worse for wear. The refiller charged me $50 for a purged and filled new cylinder and will dispose of the old cylinder. He used a large bolt cutter to destroy the threaded part of the valve to make it unusable.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

Durb wrote:

My 30# tanks have aged out and my dealer won't refill them. Should I just have them re-certified or replaced? Any estimates on the cost of having them up graded (12 years old). If I elect to buy new ones, will I have trouble recycling the old tanks? Thanks

Recertification of old tanks is costly$$. I just go to Lowes, Home Depot or Wall mart and trade my tank in for one of theirs. Be sure and check the tanks certifection date. I try to get the newest tank available. With a fairly new tank, I just refill the tanks after that.
No, recertification is not expensive. I took my three 20# tanks to my local Southern States Farm Supply propane dealer and it cost me $10 for each tank. Basically, they do a close visual inspection, base check and valve check. They also replace any required stickers that may have become lost or unreadable. I asked and the tech said I can have that done as many times as necessary. No maximum number of times for recertification.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think it cost me $12 to have one of my 30# recertified. In AZ they fill hundreds of tanks and never look at the date. I make sure one of my non re-certified tank is full when I come back to CO.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally prefer to recertify. It is not too expensive.

I did some research a number of years back on this topic.
One consideration is the quality of the new tanks vs that of the old. Especially if it is made in China. Who knows where the steel came from? Can't beat good old Made in the USA.

The really old tanks were heavier, because the steel was thicker. Perhaps not an issue, but these things can become a bomb in a hard collision situation. Kinda like the way car fenders used to be thicker stronger steel.

Having said that, this likely applies to really old tanks, probably past what any of us own.

But, as mentioned, why dispose of a perfectly good tank when revalving it makes it like new again.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have posted, recertification only lasts 5 years I think? If you know you will be using the tanks for more than the next 5 years, I suggest getting a new one.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

My local refiller recertifies free for regular customers,but I just replaced a 30# that had already been recertified twice and was looking a little worse for wear. The refiller charged me $50 for a purged and filled new cylinder and will dispose of the old cylinder. He used a large bolt cutter to destroy the threaded part of the valve to make it unusable.
X-2, I had 4 20 lb tank recert. for free.
When you get one that's in too bad shape to be recertified, simply take it to one of those Blue Rhino exchange places and trade it in, $18.00 you get a Newer tank full of gas.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

My local refiller recertifies free for regular customers,but I just replaced a 30# that had already been recertified twice and was looking a little worse for wear. The refiller charged me $50 for a purged and filled new cylinder and will dispose of the old cylinder. He used a large bolt cutter to destroy the threaded part of the valve to make it unusable.
X-2, I had 4 20 lb tank recert. for free.
When you get one that's in too bad shape to be recertified, simply take it to one of those Blue Rhino exchange places and trade it in, $18.00 you get a Newer tank full of gas.

I get mine recertified. Aren't tanks from Blue Rhino a 15# fill?

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m super careful with propane. I replace.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call your Local Farm Supply that sells Propane to get a quote. NOT very expensive from what I remember.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

I vote for re certification. It should be cheaper and doesn't leave you needing to dispose of what are likely 2 perfectly functional old tanks.
Or, just find a dealer who will refill them anyway. I've found, on my 20# tanks, that less than 10% of the time does anyone ever look at the date. I've used "expired" tanks for years. You just need to know where to get them filled.

Yep, most of the time, they don't even look.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane tank age out, refurbish or replace?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.