cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bent frame

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
Back of travel trailer was hit by a falling tree during storm. Bent back 4-5 feet of trailer on one side. The "box" is fine, just frame. Repair shop said they could cut out bad part and weld in a replacement. Is this something someone else has experienced. Does it work in the long run. I am a little cautious that this really works. Opinions?
29 REPLIES 29

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scotty, welding the frame is easy...the problem is that the box sits tight to the frame when it's done. If the box were "close" to the frame you could shield it from the heat, but there is no way to weld the frame right up to the underside of the box without catching the box on fire. Unless you didn't weld the frame seam on the top, and who wants a repair like that?

The box has to come off of the frame for the repair to be done correctly, and the ins co is likely to total it based on the cost of doing that. I wouldn't trust any frame shop that said they could repair the frame right with the box still in place. My $.02.

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
You asked for opinions and you sure got โ€˜em.
Hereโ€™s another.
I would try to get at least 3 professional estimates before committing to anything.
Itโ€™s a whole โ€˜nother thing if you arenโ€™t going to be comfortable with a repair.
Also, how much do like it? I looked for almost a year to find ours and have modded it to our pleasure. I would really hate to have to replace it.
Hopefully all will work out for you.

Agreed. My TT is start to get a little "Long In The Tooth" but, I can't find a new one that fits my need as well. If he loves his TT and the reputable frame shop says that they can fix it then give it a try.

I had a car once where they straighten the frame after a accident and I drove it for years, no problem. If they can do that they can do a TT.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
You asked for opinions and you sure got โ€˜em.
Hereโ€™s another.
I would try to get at least 3 professional estimates before committing to anything.
Itโ€™s a whole โ€˜nother thing if you arenโ€™t going to be comfortable with a repair.
Also, how much do like it? I looked for almost a year to find ours and have modded it to our pleasure. I would really hate to have to replace it.
Hopefully all will work out for you.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Bent frame = totaled. Collect the insurance and start looking for a replacement.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes asking for forum opinions is the same as asking at the local bar just before closing time.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Unless this camper has some serious sentimental value....I wouldnโ€™t want the hassle of dealing with a bent frame. Itโ€™d drive me up a wall worrying if it were done right. Iโ€™d take the check and start shopping for a new one. But to each their own

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Only because it wasn't mentioned. Sorry, but that thing is toast.
Hopefully your insurance co will do you right, but it's not like we can go anywhere right now anyway.
If you are thinking of buying it back at the right price it could make a nice playhouse or storage shed if your zoning allows it.

Did you see pictures we didn't see?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only because it wasn't mentioned. Sorry, but that thing is toast.
Hopefully your insurance co will do you right, but it's not like we can go anywhere right now anyway.
If you are thinking of buying it back at the right price it could make a nice playhouse or storage shed if your zoning allows it.
Puma 30RKSS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To attempt to provide an opinion that is germane to your question, would have to see the damage.
In general, I would be far more inclined to straighten what's there and then reinforce it, than cut and replace, but hard to tell without seeing it.
As mentioned, be wary of any other damage, hidden or otherwise, that this may have done before
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Newbieatcamping wrote:
Due to the fact they havenโ€™t contacted a insurance company yet.....Iโ€™m doubting the camper was insured

Wow, a NGOF (new grumpy old fart) in the group! Welcome aboard!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
The camper was insured. I don't know why you assume it wasn't. Appraisals are slow right now due to the widespread nature of the storm. I was just wanting to get opinions about reliability of options.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Newbieatcamping wrote:
Due to the fact they havenโ€™t contacted a insurance company yet.....Iโ€™m doubting the camper was insured

X2
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer