cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water dripping from New AC

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby installed it last fall. Dometic Air conditioner. We are in VERY humid florida but it is mainly happening when we turn off the AC...water dripped out of the on/off switch on the AC. It is not happening all the time but it does when we turn it off....any ideas?
Donna
16 REPLIES 16

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
good advice there doug. typical know it all yankee response.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dcason wrote:
Doug, THERE IS NO FREEZING. I do not think i would want you trying to fix my unit.
Thanks anyway.

You want to be a jerk, then so be it. YOU DID NOT STATE IT WAS NOT FREEZING. Other posters stating they also thought it was freezing, but you did not state you were positive it was not freezing. I don't know why you would post what you said about me, when all we are trying to do is help you. Of course you do not want me to fix your unit, I would be charging you. The symptoms you have all point to incorrect install of the AC unit. If I found that to be true, you would have to pay as warranty does not cover failure to install correctly. Doug

PS, when running, the Fan keeps the water from coming back down into the RV on a faulty install. When you shut the unit down, the fan stops and the large volume of water on the Evap fins then overwhelms the evaporator drain pan.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, THERE IS NO FREEZING. I do not think i would want you trying to fix my unit.
Thanks anyway.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dcason wrote:
We are in the florida keys and it is extremely humid here...surrounded by water. We leave in less than a week but for now the AC must be running constantly. It is 89 degrees mostly. The AC is new installed last june and used first time in february of this year in florida but not the keys.

He is also going to call DOMETIC today.
Donna

I always find it interesting in Customers timelines when they come in for service. This OP stated they installed the AC last FALL. Now they state last JUNE. Of course timeline does not make that much difference in this case as they had not used the unit till this year. To the OP, Dometic is not going to be much help. I am a Certified Master Tech and Dometic Certified trained. What I posted is what Dometic will tell you. Also, since it is under Dometic warranty, all they will tell you is to take to a Dometic Service Center. They will just tell you items that are already posted on your thread. Doug

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the florida keys and it is extremely humid here...surrounded by water. We leave in less than a week but for now the AC must be running constantly. It is 89 degrees mostly. The AC is new installed last june and used first time in february of this year in florida but not the keys.

He is also going to call DOMETIC today.
Donna

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Two ideas. the FIRST is CLEAN the intake filters I have had that issue several times when I'm lazy about cleaning the intake filters and ONE time it was not so my first suggestion is CLEAN THE INTAKE filters. and I can tell you when the blower shuts off it is kind of "Niagra Falls" under the A/C. if that's the problem.. If you need to know why. ask.

WHY...it is niagara falls when we shut it off. Running without the filter is only a temporary fix until we figure out what is wrong? NO DRIPS this morning without the filter but yes, I know we need it there and why.WHY...it is niagara falls when we shut it off. Running without the filter is only a temporary fix until we figure out what is wrong? NO DRIPS this morning without the filter but yes, I know we need it there and why.

Now the other problem.. For this you need to go up on the roof. Pull the shroud and do two things.> Clean everything (might as well since you are up there anyway This includes the condenser coils (On a Dometic I suspect the side that gets dirty is the fan side.. not easy to clean) inspect to see where the "Drip Lip" is (may be on one side or the other or the "Rear" (condenser) side of the A/C.

The one time it was not Dirty Filters the RV was not quite level. the drip lip on that unit was on the rear and I was nose down a couple inches. Lifting front fixed. but .. like that was one of several so I do not think that's it.

Icing of the fins can cause a slow drip drip that will go on for some time after you shut it off.. But not as likely to "Niagra Falls" type downpour.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Since you have ceiling controls, you do NOT have a Freeze Sensor. If the water only comes inside when you shut it off, then, as another mentioned, you have ice build up and when it defrosts when turned off, the ice that hangs over the side of the drain pan comes inside. To prevent Icing on manual control AC units, run on HI/COOL. Also, since Hubby installed, I would think he may have not installed correctly. There is a insulated barrier between the Intake(air filter) and the cold exhaust. IF that barrier is not installed correctly or even NOT installed, the unit will freeze up. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
dcason wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Not raining so condensation is source of dripping YES!

Could be Evap Coil Fins icing up then thawing NOPE
Which could be from dirty filter/dirty fins ---- A/C fan on Low speed
*Clean Evap Coil Fins, change air filter frequently, make sure fan is in AUTO

Could be Evap Coil drip tray drain holes obstructed MAYBE...he has yet to find them
Which could be from crud/mold partially plugging drain holes
Which could be from overtightening the hold down bolts, crushing roof gasket & A/C Pan is now too close to RV Roof obstructing the drip pain drains
*Access Evap Coil Drip Pan drain holes under roof shrouds (Main cover and evap coil section sealed cover) and clean them
**Check that roof gasket is not over-compressed (should be roughly 1/2" distance between A/C Pan and roof line -- replace gasket if crushed)

Could be Evap Drip Pan drain holes are just too small to handle the High Humidity --- condensation is accumulating faster then drain holes can remove THIS SOUNDS POSSIBLE.
While A/C is running the excess condensation is being sucked up by fan and blown into ducts --- then when fan stops a wave of condensation drips out
*When cleaning Evap Coil Drip Pan drain holes...enlarge them for higher flow thru them

We took the filter completely off and left it open. It is much better now without it on. He still needs to go up and find the drain holes to see what is up with that. Still a little water seeping out under the on dial over time but not the cascading water when we turned it off.
Thanks, old biscuit.
Donna

Running W/O the filter is NOT the way to solve the issue.
W/O filter Evap Coil Fins will get dirtier/faster
Buy bag of filter material (ACE Hardware etc) and cut out replacements then FREQUENTLY change out --- wash/dry and reuse until they stretch out of shape.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two ideas. the FIRST is CLEAN the intake filters I have had that issue several times when I'm lazy about cleaning the intake filters and ONE time it was not so my first suggestion is CLEAN THE INTAKE filters. and I can tell you when the blower shuts off it is kind of "Niagra Falls" under the A/C. if that's the problem.. If you need to know why. ask.

Now the other problem.. For this you need to go up on the roof. Pull the shroud and do two things.> Clean everything (might as well since you are up there anyway This includes the condenser coils (On a Dometic I suspect the side that gets dirty is the fan side.. not easy to clean) inspect to see where the "Drip Lip" is (may be on one side or the other or the "Rear" (condenser) side of the A/C.

The one time it was not Dirty Filters the RV was not quite level. the drip lip on that unit was on the rear and I was nose down a couple inches. Lifting front fixed. but .. like that was one of several so I do not think that's it.

Icing of the fins can cause a slow drip drip that will go on for some time after you shut it off.. But not as likely to "Niagra Falls" type downpour.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If the unit has a freeze sensor, make sure it is correctly attached to the evaporator coils.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Not raining so condensation is source of dripping YES!

Could be Evap Coil Fins icing up then thawing NOPE

Could be Evap Coil drip tray drain holes obstructed MAYBE...he has yet to find them
Which could be from overtightening the hold down bolts, crushing roof gasket & A/C Pan is now too close to RV Roof obstructing the drip pain drains
*Access Evap Coil Drip Pan drain holes under roof shrouds (Main cover and evap coil section sealed cover) and clean them
**Check that roof gasket is not over-compressed (should be roughly 1/2" distance between A/C Pan and roof line -- replace gasket if crushed)

Could be Evap Drip Pan drain holes are just too small to handle the High Humidity --- condensation is accumulating faster then drain holes can remove THIS SOUNDS POSSIBLE.
While A/C is running the excess condensation is being sucked up by fan and blown into ducts --- then when fan stops a wave of condensation drips out
*When cleaning Evap Coil Drip Pan drain holes...enlarge them for higher flow thru them

We took the filter completely off and left it open. It is much better now without it on. He still needs to go up and find the drain holes to see what is up with that. Still a little water seeping out under the on dial over time but not the cascading water when we turned it off.
Thanks, old biscuit.
Donna

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not raining so condensation is source of dripping

Could be Evap Coil Fins icing up then thawing

Could be Evap Coil drip tray drain holes obstructed

Could be Evap Drip Pan drain holes are just too small to handle the High Humidity --- condensation is accumulating faster then drain holes can remove
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have him check that there is good separation between the output side of the AC and the return side while the cover Is off. If not a whole lot of cold air may be going directly up the return. Not good.

Is he sure the gasket is making a good seal between the AC unit and the roof?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure all the AC vents are fully open. Check the AC fins for ice just before AC shut down. If there is ice try raising the thermostat temo a few degrees.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy