cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steering Wheel Lock ??

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We are replacing our dinghy and are considering a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus with the required 2-speed power unit. I am researching all aspects of towing it behind the MH. I have confirmed bracket is available, and tow wiring. I have read the Cherokee owner's manual on line, instructions how to place it into neutral, can't use the Auto Parking Brake feature when in Park, and then turn OFF ignition. So if OFF there is no need to charge the battery while towing, right ??

My question: does this car have a steering wheel lock that I must address as well ?? Our current tow car is a Liberty, we have to turn the key one notch to the unlock position. Perhaps this wheel lock is no longer a security feature.

Taking advantage of the stay in place COVID down time to make this dinghy swap and install equipment. Any feedback is appreciated...

BTW - I contacted Good Sam and they extended my membership 2 months free due to the COVID no camping period.
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
9 REPLIES 9

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
All but the wrangler have electric PS.
IIRC the Cherokee now has a special procedure for flat towing due to a shimmy/death wobble issue some had, I do however believe it was mostly due to the angle of the tow bar. Some were setup with a big upward angle which removed weight from the front wheels while under way. However I canโ€™t comment on that as I have not towed one or looked into it further.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Being a Jeep (all Mopar brands) tech. There is no steering wheel lock for the Cherokee. Or any Jeep model for that matter. In fact the steering wheel lock is pretty much being phased out from a lot of manuf.

Does the Jeep have "electric" steering? Or conventional power steering?
TC&Z

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Being a Jeep (all Mopar brands) tech. There is no steering wheel lock for the Cherokee. Or any Jeep model for that matter. In fact the steering wheel lock is pretty much being phased out from a lot of manuf.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
navigator2346 wrote:
Best thing to do is get your hands on a real owners manual and read what it says about "recreational towing". It will give you step by step instructions on what to do to two 4 down including the steering lock situation. Don't know for sure but that Jeep might be push button start and you do have to follow directions.

As suggested above I have reviewed the actual vehicle owners manual. Therein it says "Must use the proper Mopar wiring kit to power the steering system during recreational towing may damage the vehicle's steering system"

Does anyone have any knowledge of this. I bought my wiring kit from eTrailer and it was just the standard diode kit. What's the basis for powering the steering system?

Thanks
TC&Z

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Can you turn the steering wheel at all when you turn the key off? As far as charge battery kinda depends on what aux brake system you plan to use, and how far youโ€™ll tow in a day. If the braking system needs power to run, and you plan to tow for a long time each day then you should put in a charge line.

And just for comparison, my โ€˜15 Wrangler does not have a steering wheel lock. You kinda want the front wheels to track with the mh.

Ditto, on everything said. Good points.
I use a Patriot II brake system, and it draws 12V DC power from an always hot 12V outlet in the car. So, I have a "towed battery charging" wire/circuit in my umbilical, with a 5A fuse in it to the + post on the JKU battery, to offset the braking system draw. The 2016 Wrangler also does not have locking steering, key out.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Get the real manual off the internet if itโ€™s anything like my wrangler. The manual that comes with the cars are not necessarily totally accurate. When I complained Jeep customer service told me the โ€œrealโ€ manual is on line.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing to do is get your hands on a real owners manual and read what it says about "recreational towing". It will give you step by step instructions on what to do to two 4 down including the steering lock situation. Don't know for sure but that Jeep might be push button start and you do have to follow directions.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you turn the steering wheel at all when you turn the key off? As far as charge battery kinda depends on what aux brake system you plan to use, and how far youโ€™ll tow in a day. If the braking system needs power to run, and you plan to tow for a long time each day then you should put in a charge line.

And just for comparison, my โ€˜15 Wrangler does not have a steering wheel lock. You kinda want the front wheels to track with the mh.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I believe the steering wheel lock is still required. I am not sure about some of the vehicles with the keyless start functions.
My rigs release when key is inserted into ignition, but manual says to turn on click.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker