Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Lifting fifth wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lifting fifth wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
ifd22

Northern Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2019 fifth wheel that towed level with my 2007 Ram 2500 2wd, now tows 5” nose high with my 2018 Ram 2500 4wd.
I’ve adjusted the pin box all the way up, and couldn’t raise it higher if I could due to bed clearance.
I plan on taking it to a local commercial spring shop to have it lifted 4”-5”. They said they do them all of the time, and they plan on welding a new sub frame on and reattaching the spring hangers.
Has anyone ever “had” a bad experience lifting a trailer?
It’s fairly obvious that higher it sits, higher the center of gravity becomes, but has this ever caused anyone an issue?
They are charging $600 which sounds reasonable considering the work involved.

2019 Primetime lite Crusader
2018 Ram 2500 Crewcab CTD
Andersen hitch

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would rather remove the blocks between the axle and springs on the truck!!
Trucks are made much higher now, I suppose it's some kind of marketing strategy to make the truck seem bigger, more powerful, more manly...etc?? There is no good reason for it in my opinion and if I were to replace my 05 Ram with a new truck this is what I would do immediately. These blocks of steel are removable. You don't have to take them all away, just remove enough to make the bed of the truck lower. I've talked to guys who have done it. The last thing you want to do is raise a trailer, especially a 5th wheel which is already very tall, and cause the center of gravity to be in favor of a roll over in high winds or in a surprise sharp curve. I think 4WD trucks have more blocks anyway to get extra clearance for off roading??!!

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most lite version 5th wheels are lower to allow towing by half ton trucks, and also if you have a sub frame built, you might want to allow for the future addition of 16" wheels, and tires.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likes to tow wrote:

I would rather remove the blocks between the axle and springs on the truck!!
Trucks are made much higher now, I suppose it's some kind of marketing strategy to make the truck seem bigger, more powerful, more manly...etc?? There is no good reason for it in my opinion and if I were to replace my 05 Ram with a new truck this is what I would do immediately. These blocks of steel are removable. You don't have to take them all away, just remove enough to make the bed of the truck lower. I've talked to guys who have done it. The last thing you want to do is raise a trailer, especially a 5th wheel which is already very tall, and cause the center of gravity to be in favor of a roll over in high winds or in a surprise sharp curve. I think 4WD trucks have more blocks anyway to get extra clearance for off roading??!!

You would never get the truck to ride low enough and who wants a nose high truck?

OP if they have a good reputation, GET ER DUN!!!!!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mhardin

Texas!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget height clearance for the trailer, you don't want to hang up under a low overpass or awning.

2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well you don't want to over lift the 5er, and should measure to top of highest point to be sure not to exceed 13'-6".

Best way to know how high to lift is to find a level lot. With the 5er hitched and weight on TV measure from ground to top of bed rail at hitch pin, call this Measurment1.
Now disconnect the 5er and level front to rear and measure from ground to bottom of the overhang at or near the pin, call this measurment2. Now time for math.
(measurment1+6") - Measurment2 = lift needed, the 6" can be your desired TV to 5er clearance.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well you don't want to over lift the 5er, and should measure to top of highest point to be sure not to exceed 13'-6".

Best way to know how high to lift is to find a level lot. With the 5er hitched and weight on TV measure from ground to top of bed rail at hitch pin, call this Measurment1.
Now disconnect the 5er and level front to rear and measure from ground to bottom of the overhang at or near the pin, call this measurment2. Now time for math.
(measurment1+6") - Measurment2 = lift needed, the 6" can be your desired TV to 5er clearance.

I am at 13' 5", LOTS of room left. [emoticon]

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes you just get lucky changing TV's! I didn't make any changes to our new 2016 Ram 3500 and still level.

[image]

[image]

ifd22

Northern Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve looked at lowering the truck. The 2500 Ram trucks have coil spring rear suspensions with no blocks to take out.
I’ll need to measure, but I think I’m at 12’6”” so I should have room.

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I did exactly this for a customer's coach, IIRR, it was in excess of 6". It was a low profile 5th wheel, so total height wasn't a real concern. Worked out fine for him.
But as already suggested, double check measurements & what's actually needed before cutting and welding.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lifting fifth wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.