cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold Weather & De-winterized RV

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
More crazy Oklahoma weather is ahead for us in April. Weather forecast is for three nights in a row with below freezing temps. Daytime temps. will be in mid-40s. Tonight and tomorrow night's low predicted for 30 degrees and the third night will be 28. After that it warms up a lot. My question is this: will it help prevent damage by running heater in motorhome. Our motorhome has been de-winterized and we recently returned from a short camping trip. It is currently parked in our driveway where we can run electricity to it. We rent covered space for it, but there is no electricity.
6 REPLIES 6

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
28 is nothing.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I use a thermo cube connected to an electric heater. The Thermo Cube is a Thermostatically Controlled Double Outlet that plugs into any of your 120 outlets - it will turn on your electric heater when the temp gets close to freezing. Inexpensive way to protect your rig.
Kevin

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many years I would winter camp in my RV in very cold temps and would simply wrap certain parts 'exposed' to below freezing temps.

I mostly agree with others , elec heat cant hurt but for the most part you should be ok at the temps you have described .

Some plastic fittings and valves are the first to crack depending where they are located.
Example: my water pump and valves are located inside an exterior baggage compartment but its enclosed inside a heated box , heated by a direct duct off the furnace.
If you have a setup like that, then you might want to run the furnace to be sure or wrap it in a heavy towel.

Keep an eye on exposed low point drain petcocks if they are exposed. If so, you could simply wrap them with something to insulated them. You have to keep the direct wind off them.

Place a bottle of water on the counter next to an outside wall and keep an eye on it. If you see it begin to freeze, turn on the furnace heat.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
28 will be fine. Do run a heater and open the bottom cupboard doors.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
Run a small electric heater, probably dont even need that.
Your Rig is insulated and wont get as cold as surrounding area.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Can't hurt. I sometimes run a 1500W electric heater in mine, off shore power.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)