cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NE Oregon to Indianapolis Sept 2021

russelln
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, As we have a little time on our hands I was wondering if anyone could help with suggestions on a route & sites along the way between our base in NE Oregon & Indianapolis & then return.
My wife & I live in New Zealand but have a Class C based near
La Grande OR. We visit most years but obviously this year is not going to happen.
We like to stay away from the cities. We are outdoors people. The reason for Indy is we want to meet friends & go to the NHRA US Nationals early September but apart from that enjoy the great outdoors!
We are planning a 6 week trip which would allow, once we have arrived, 2 weeks each way with a week in Indy.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks
Russell (in isolation in NZ)
2 REPLIES 2

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the time consider spending time at Yellowstone Natl Park, Rushmore, & Devils Tower. Lots of stuff in that area of the country.
Kevin

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
russelln wrote:
Hi all, As we have a little time on our hands I was wondering if anyone could help with suggestions on a route & sites along the way between our base in NE Oregon & Indianapolis & then return.
My wife & I live in New Zealand but have a Class C based near
La Grande OR. We visit most years but obviously this year is not going to happen.
We like to stay away from the cities. We are outdoors people. The reason for Indy is we want to meet friends & go to the NHRA US Nationals early September but apart from that enjoy the great outdoors!
We are planning a 6 week trip which would allow, once we have arrived, 2 weeks each way with a week in Indy.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks
Russell (in isolation in NZ)

If you should find that your travel plans gets you off the US interstate system, which I would recommend, I would also recommend picking up US 36 outside of Denver, and taking that across Kansas and Missouri into Illinois. I used that route to Indiana several times. I can also recommend some state parks along the way, that would be good for an overnight, or longer if desired.

In Kansas, in a cross country trip last year, we stayed at Lake Lovewell State Park in north central Kansas, and on the way back at Prairie Dog State Park. These are in fairly close proximity (Lovewell is north of US 36/Prairie Dog is south). Both have nice sites with space between them, and both are on a lake. Lovewell is more wooded, Prairie Dog is more open. Prices were very reasonable and didn't need reservations when travelling in July 2019. Weather in July was cooperative for us, and should be even better in early September.

In Missouri, we stayed at Long Branch State Park in the north east part of Missouri just off US 36. Very nice state park, also on a large lake, wooded campground, laid out with plenty of room between sites.

Full hookups available in all 3 of them, or can just go with water/electric if you prefer. Very reasonably priced for all of them, IIRC price was ~$25/night for FHU site.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.