Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Weather. Nasty Weather. The kind of Weather you don't want.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Weather. Nasty Weather. The kind of Weather you don't want.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well. I'm still here though a bit late today.
Tornado missed me. by about 5 miles it seems (Hit the town where I go shoping for food just up the road and around the corner).. From the sound I'd estimate the wind speeds last night in the 75-100 MPH range. Rain like I was under water. Rig rocked a bit but mostly stable.
No power. NO park Wi-Fi. Park phone out.. I just got cellular wi-fi back. Nice day out now.

But last night was nasty.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Riding out a fierce storm in a house is bad enough - fortunately, only had to do that twice in an RV. One time, camping on the Gulf, the wind was blowing the rain right through the windows - glad we had plenty of towels to ride that one out.

Another time the campground was mostly empty, so we were able to point the nose of our Class C into the storm and park away from any trees. Most of the time, RVers aren't that lucky - friends of ours had a 10" limb drop through the roof of their brand new Class A :-(

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lost power about 11:30 last night. Still out, running generator to run fridge in house. Worst is about 6 miles north, area east of I-75 in Chattanooga. 10 dead over the Chattanooga area, worst was Murray County GA. May be 7-10 day before all power restored.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3rd time I've had "Big wind" 1st was straight line (in fact I benefited from most of it because as I traveled it was blowing from Dead astern and I mean the tumbleweeds were goign down the freeway straight and not changing lanes.. I was driving the fabled 14MPG motor home (eally) thanks to that breeze. Normally it gets about 8) 100 MPH per NOAA

The 2nd time was a bit scarier... I was 3 miles north of the mandatory evac line for a Hurricane.. If it pleases the lord I'd like NEVER to be that close again.

This time it was 5-6 miles. Wind speeds in the storm broke 100 MPH but I'm not sure they were that strong where I was. Seemed to be straight line where I am. I did not get a since of directional changes.

But I'm waching the news from "Downtown" The very downtown where I shop.

That's in the RV.. Been that close in a sticks and bricks or rather a very well reinforced concrete below ground structure more than once too.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m glad it missed you. Take care.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Jeffe

Greenbrier Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Straight line wind here just a few weeks ago, took a 5ft section of my fiberglass roof off.

Insurance covered the replacement and its in the shop now and should be done in a couple of weeks from now.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL - 39QD
330 Cat with 6 Speed Allison
Toad: 2016 Ford 150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mam o man señor what a mix an RV and and a tornado. Jesús buried six 1000x20 tires six feet under with 5/8" chain running to the surface. Quicksilver sits atop. I had trucker's ratchet load straps running overtop the bus but was afraid they would damage the paint. Now they attach to the frame. There are 35 frame to body 1/2" bolts. Stay in it during a tornado...??? Nooooooo! Tropical hurricanes frequently have tornados inside them. The 2013 hurricane packed all of us inside.No thank you. I am glad to hear you were well distant from the twister!

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got home last week. Two large storms since tehn Sunday night wasreally bad in thiss part of Tn ,a Al and Ga. Monday morning SIl went to work and a ccar ws staled with water up to hood, on a hill. Water was rushing down and the road took a dip in the curve and filled up with water. Power was still otu in parts of Hamilton County Tn yesterday and lots of wide spread flooding and wind damage, trees across roads. River is at to tof the bank, below the dam and over the parking lot yesterday. This after a season from October to now of every week having saveral days of rain.

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got power back last night.. That was nice save for the site has a weak neutral so if I'm not careful about load balance one leg goes high. one goes low and the little black box says NO NO ON and then it's lights out for however many seconds till it resets. hopefully during the reset I rebalance (I know how to do that)

Also the nights were cool enough I did not need A/C and 2 of them warm enough I did not need heat.. Likewise the days were cool so I did not need much A/C so I had enough gasoline for ye old Onan.. (I also brought more home when I went shoppign on Senior Day)

In some ways. the RV is nicer than a sticks and bricks... But I'd not want to be in the actual path of the storm.. THis one has had high wind in the 100MPH range 3 times all 3 times it did very well all 3 were Straight line however not twisting.

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got power back 11:30 Tuesday night, a 48 hr outage.
EPB of Chattanooga storm damage video showes area about 6-7 miles north of us.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Weather. Nasty Weather. The kind of Weather you don't want.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.