cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black spots on ceiling = leak?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my 2001 Lance 14 years ago. Over the last couple of years I've noticed black spots on the ceiling. Pushed on them and they don't seem to be "soft". I'm not very good about caulking maintenance. Getting too old to get up on the roof. 🙂 Think they indicate a leak?

Thanks,
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
13 REPLIES 13

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Weather conditions make a big difference in condensation severity . Here in NH I have found that leaving my awnings Windows cracked over the winter made a significant difference in condensation and did not leak .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the additional comments and suggestions. Will let you know the outcome of trying to remove the spots (when I get around to it). Used to use the
de-humidifier crystals on my boat. Will get some of those for camper.
Ralph
Instagram

Lancey
Explorer
Explorer
On my in-laws camper, the condensation was causing the small nail heads holding the ceiling paneling to rust and leave pock marks on the ceiling like that...
2005 arctic fox 990 silverfox
2008 Silverado ltz drw duramax 6speed allison

1999 Kodiak k99 / 2008 ford f450 6spd manual. SOLD
2000 citation supreme SOLD
1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
In the environment you live in I would keep some DampRid or the cheap knock off from the Dollar store in the camper all the time. I keep three in my trailer all winter.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have that same problem,,,brain says sure lets go do it,,, body says no were not,

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
but if you have not caulked the roof in a couple years, it is leaking somewhere, maybe not causing what your seeing, but I bet it is leaking somewhere.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:

I agree with the frequent inspection goal, but can't talk the old body into it always. 🙂

Thanks again,
Ralph

When I was living in California, I was caulking my rubber roof forever and nothing work. Not marine-grade caulk, not exterior flashing caulk. Rubber roof was discolored due PO making mess with eternabond.
When they all look good new, afer a season some of them would turn yellow, the rest would peel off with fingernails.
Finally few years ago Henry made Tropi Cool roof coating and after doing my house roof, I redid my camper as well. Finally something that sticks and fill the gaps. Unlike other stuff, this has minimal shrinkage, so had to do 2nd coat only along deep groves at roof edges.
Since my camper had cabover front wall repairs, I did it as well, only having to go thin coat on vertical surface as the stuff runs easily.
Now your Lance is probably having single piece aluminum roof?
When this is good, the trim finishing is common issue. I had dryrot on my Lance where with good roof, they "forget" to put sealant under slide awning trim and whole wall rotten due to that.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
You might try a mild bleach solution (4:1 water to bleach).

Winter condensation is always a problem. Every morning the air temps come up while your RV parts retain their cold temps and lag warmup. Condensation forms.

I used to run de-humidifiers in closed up RV's. Now, I run small space heaters. The heaters are more effective and don't have to be drained.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! Right after I posted I remembered I hadn't even tried to wipe them off. Just went out and tried with a wet, soapy paper towel. Some came off, some didn't. The ones that didn't appear to be in a shallow indentation in the ceiling. I'll try later with a toothbrush.

My camper is outside in the central CA coast winter and closed most of the time, so mold sounds very possible. Only see it on the ceiling, though.

I agree with the frequent inspection goal, but can't talk the old body into it always. 🙂

Thanks again,
Ralph
Ralph
Instagram

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sure looks like mold to me. Let us know what's under that ceiling.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Can't tell from the picture, but if you can wash it and the surface is consistent, that might bug poo or 100 different thing.
Still there is no such thing on TC like too many roof & trims inspections.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with mold. It doesn’t take that much moisture to grow mold. It could be from condensation.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mold.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.