cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bridge height apps

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering what is a good app that lets you know the height of bridges on roads across our great country. Thanks for the help.
13 REPLIES 13

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
RVparky shows low clearance when looking at maps.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Lowclearances.com is back up and running as of 0830 AZ time, 4-20-20.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
I have park advisor and yes it does show the rest stops and stuff. I wasnโ€™t aware that it did low clearance. I canโ€™t figure out how to put in for trip planning on it.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you see semis going in the opposite direction you are good too.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
justme wrote:
search for lowclearancebridgeinfo..pdf then select: https://member.coach-net.com/members/pdfs/LowClearanceBridgeInfo.pdf

Thanks, but nowhere close to the 8,000+ POI d.b. of Route-1. Just sayin'...

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

justme
Explorer
Explorer
search for lowclearancebridgeinfo..pdf then select: https://member.coach-net.com/members/pdfs/LowClearanceBridgeInfo.pdf

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Found on another forum that lowclearances.com went down in early March, came back up, and is now down again. Would love to contact the host and see what's going on.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
It is interesting to note that a dataset of low clearances was available some time back on a handy site I use called "POI Factory," a free site which is a repository of free lists of points of interest. As I interpret what I read, the low clearance POI data was taken down at the request (or demand) of the owner of the data since it was considered copyrighted information. I do not know if the data came from lowclearances.com or if that was the data owner in question.

Maybe the lowclearances.com site or the information itself will return at some point.

To be most useful, the data needs to be refreshed and kept up to date.

Also note that, in addition to the Garmin resource I mentioned in my earlier post, an app on Apple devices named "ParkAdvisor" contains low clearances on its maps in addition to RV parks (including individual park information), fuel stops for RV's and major outlets like Walmart. Other similar apps may have the information as well. I do not know how up-to-date the information is. I know Garmin issues map updates around 2 times a year but I cannot verify if low clearance information is updated with the same frequency.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
D@mn. Lowclearances was online just last week. Their d.b., Route-1, lists over 8000 low clearance points. Compatible with all major maps and GPS. I was =this= close to buying it, then!

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies I found a app called truckers map it has things for clearance as well as location of truck stops. May try that one out also.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, ditto about LowClearances.com, I went to check and found them gone too. Their data base works pretty well though. It has alerted me in the past when I've gone near a low bridge that wasn't on my direct route. So it does work, but it didn't list every low bridge/underpass.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Not a direct answer to your question.

Garmin includes clearances into its North American maps. You put the dimensions of your rig into the device as well as the route planner and it routes you and also warns you if you are coming up on one. It has saved my behind a couple of times.

There used to be a site called "Low Clearance POI" that allowed you to download into your GPS, but I just checked it and it seems to be defunct.

If you Google something like "low clearances" you will see some possibilities, I can offer no first hand experience other than the above.

The Motor Carrier Atlas would be a good tool for planning, but less helpful when you are underway, unless your navigator has it open. My near misses were due to either missing a turn or "winging it." The Garmin warned me in time on both occasions.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I use a book, The Motor Carrier's Atlas. It highlights the routes that are recommended for truckers. I've been all over this country for the past 8 years and I've never been turned around by a low bridge.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE