Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: TFL Gold Hitch Awards 2020
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> TFL Gold Hitch Awards 2020

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Also TFL confirmed that the Adaptive Cruise Control was used on the Ram.

I don't think that was in contention especially since it likely would not kick on due to how slow they were going. The ACC only kicks on the brakes if someone is in front of you going slower than you and I seriously doubt there was someone else going slow enough to force the ACC system to kick on the wheel end brakes the whole way down.

I agree!!! some just can't get over the FACT the CUMMINS EB does the JOB far better than the others. The sad part is there is more weight for the fastest instead of the safest!!!

Depends how you look at it. Even if the Cummins was able to hold the weight back on that grade in second gear you have to realize it was in second gear and only had 1 gear left for steep grades. The Ford was in third gear so if I was going to take a 30,000 lb trailer down a 14 % grade I'd be much more comfortable doing it with the GM or Ford from a safety perspective.

I don't think the torque converter on the Ram(or any truck) locks in 1st gear which is required to engage the exhaust brake.

Although I think the factor of the Ram being in second gear had more to do with the speed they were going. At 35 mph, they would be at 3,000 rpm. The max speed they would be able to go in 2nd would be about 39 mph at 3,400 rpm. Remember, the higher the rpm, the greater the stopping ability that the EB has.

The Ford would be a 2,800 rpm in third at 35 mph, and would be at 3,800 rpm if it shift to 2nd. I don't know the specs on the 6.7L, especially the 2020, so I am not even sure it can go into 2nd at that rpm.

The Ram also had more than enough power to hold back the weight and even kicked on and off so it would likely be able to handle even more weight. I will say that I believe that the reason why the Cummins is able to do this is due to its small restrictive turbo with its low a/r turbine housing which is a choke point and one reason why it is not making as much power as the other two. Add a larger turbo(like I have) to the Cummins and you will be able to make about another 50-75 hp without even adding more fuel.

As I said before, it is a give and take with turbos(even VGT's) and intercooler. You have to decide whether you want top end or low end power, more power in spurts or more sustained power, more power overall or better exhaust brake. This one reason why I say that there is not perfect truck for everyone and which is better may change on everyone's needs/wants our of a truck. So like your truck for the reasons why your bought it, not the reasons why you didn't.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeRP wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I tow 25k [emoticon]

Pictures please!

Dude where have you been???

[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Also TFL confirmed that the Adaptive Cruise Control was used on the Ram.

I don't think that was in contention especially since it likely would not kick on due to how slow they were going. The ACC only kicks on the brakes if someone is in front of you going slower than you and I seriously doubt there was someone else going slow enough to force the ACC system to kick on the wheel end brakes the whole way down.

I agree!!! some just can't get over the FACT the CUMMINS EB does the JOB far better than the others. The sad part is there is more weight for the fastest instead of the safest!!!

Depends how you look at it. Even if the Cummins was able to hold the weight back on that grade in second gear you have to realize it was in second gear and only had 1 gear left for steep grades. The Ford was in third gear so if I was going to take a 30,000 lb trailer down a 14 % grade I'd be much more comfortable doing it with the GM or Ford from a safety perspective.

Hey

So when you come out of the tunnel there is a speed limit going down depending upon the weight you are carrying. So It’s probably 35 or 40 mph. Listen I know you got a Ford and it’s ok to be proud of it. I get it, I love Ford too just happen to have a Ram. So the speed limit is all about safety, I appreciate your opinion but really think about it, for me hitting the brake zero times is an amazing achievement. The facts are the facts. Ram blew that one out of the park.

One of the things you think about going downhill is the diesel going into limp mode because of higher sustained rpm’s. In fact the smaller diesels, I know Ford and Ram too maybe had an issue with this. Imagine hauling 30,000 and the truck goes into limp mode.

That’s another reason I think Ram-hit it out of the park. To me Tfl exposes therir bias to Ford on this one issue. What do we say, “Work Safely First”. Again I’m not saying that Ford or Gm can’t achieve exactly what Ram has but Ram clearly, on this one issue alone, should have won the Gold Hitch Award and like I said not because I don’t like Ford or Gm. Now if Ram would have used one or two brake applications, I would have said give the Gold Hitch to Ford, but you can’t argue with results.

TFLTruck in my opinion, is at the point that their tests are irrelevant for RVers. So bottom line is with all respect, I don’t agree with your gearing point. Cummins is what it is, a wonderful platform that works across commercial, industrial, utility, farm, off shore, and even our application. It can be programmed quickly and easily is is designed for long term reliability.

There no doubt in my mind that in 5 minutes a Cummins engineer could tweak their new platform to get that minute back out of the speed going up the hill. I think it would take Ford and GM more than 5 minutes, maybe an hour or two to optimize the tranny engine brake for no brake applications going down the hill.

Peace

* This post was edited 04/17/20 08:53am by MikeRP *

MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That that is a freakin awesome tow setup! Amazing. I love it.

Do you think with that you would go MDT or even bigger the next time you buy a truck or are you perfectly happy with the Ram? Also how do you handle that double tow when you get to a campground? Do you have an aux fuel tank?

Well I’ve been sheltering in place in Ohio, going stir crazy and helping my brother build a cabin. I feel depressed because so feel like all my camping plans may be shot this year but It’s hard to understand how this virus is working but we know it’s not good for older folks. In Ohio the mean age for people passing away is like 77. So the effect of this on our elderly is just crazy but then once in a while it drops in and kills very healthy younger folks. Tough one.

Blessings

Mike

* This post was edited 04/17/20 08:59am by MikeRP *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikePR

GREAT POST!!!!!!!!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeRP wrote:

That that is a freakin awesome tow setup! Amazing. I love it.

Do you think with that you would go MDT or even bigger the next time you buy a truck or are you perfectly happy with the Ram? Also how do you handle that double tow when you get to a campground? Do you have an aux fuel tank?

Well I’ve been sheltering in place in Ohio, going stir crazy and helping my brother build a cabin. I feel depressed because so feel like all my camping plans may be shot this year but It’s hard to understand how this virus is working but we know it’s not good for older folks. In Ohio the mean age for people passing away is like 77. So the effect of this on our elderly is just crazy but then once in a while it drops in and kills very healthy younger folks. Tough one.

Blessings

Mike

I am more than happy with the truck.

It handles the single or double load with EASE in ALL road and weather conditions. I would have no hesitation towing more weight.

No Aux tank other than the 5 I keep in the tool box.

If I don't get a pull thru it's easy to drop the MC trailer setup camp and then get the trailer. Or it it's asphalt the trailer easily rolls into place.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeRP wrote:

To me Tfl exposes their bias to Ford on this one issue.

I don't think TFL has a bias toward Ford per-say, but rather that their tests is based on the aspects that are most important to them. If the time going up the Ike is most important to you at 20F then the Ford is the clear winner for you. If less brake applications is more important, the the Ram is the clear winner. Last year, GM was the clear winner towing up the Ike in the least amount at 80F. Which one you choose to focus on depends on which is most important to you. Not everyone cares about getting up a hill the fastest just as other may not care if they have a few brake applications going down.

I think these arguments start because some people want their favorite truck to be the best at everything and have a hard time when another truck may be better at something. Ironically, these people bought their truck based on what it is the best at so why they care about what it isn't the best at is beyond me. If you want something with a lot of power and the most up to date tech, then than might decrease its reliability. If you want something that is more reliable with more conservative sustained power output regardless of outside temp, then it might not be the quickest up a hill in all scenarios. Then you have people like me who is not afraid to mod/customize their trucks to how I use it, and adjust power levels depending on how it is being used or how froggy I am feeling at the moment.

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So would any of us pin the pedal to the floor for 8 miles up the Ike like TFL? Being an airplane guy I always used the rpm point where the HP and torque curves crossed as my equivalent to climb power in an airplane. Or max egt less 50 on my 7.3 PS. What ever gear could hold that number was where I stayed and whatever speed was an it is what it is deal.

* This post was edited 04/17/20 12:13pm by stsmark *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"So would any of us pin the pedal to the floor for 8 miles up the Ike like TFL?"

If I am not maintaining my desired speed on grade my foot is ON THE FLOOR!!!

YES for miles at a time. Trans and engine temps WELL within check even in HOT weather towing a combined 35k.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

If you want something with a lot of power and the most up to date tech, then than might decrease its reliability. If you want something that is more reliable with more conservative sustained power output regardless of outside temp, then it might not be the quickest up a hill in all scenarios.

And then you have a 10 speed transmission that applies the right gear for the right senerio which improves towing performance. This also aids in improved fuel economy.

And then you have steel pistons that are designed to handle more heat and cylinder pressure with long term durability.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> TFL Gold Hitch Awards 2020
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.