cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone own a Carson Toy Hauler

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone own a Carson Toy Hauler? I have been researching the 202 and 222 everything from used to new. Had a few dune buggy guys from out west recommend this brand.

Ran across an old For Sale listing from 2012 on a very clean 2005 Carson FC202 (Fun Runner) that had a 4 seat SXS in the back. Total length ball to tail is 25' which is the perfect size toy hauler I'm looking for.

Thanks
Dennis
11 REPLIES 11

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
i have never owned a carson, never even looked at one. i did just put a deposit down on a dune sport. no one builds what i an the wife want .... except dune sport. personally i didn't think the price was bad for a custom build especially compared to current market prices!

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Dennis58 wrote:
Older post of mine but wanted to follow up.

I looked at a new Grand Design RV Momentum G-Class 21G here local and Blackdiamond is correct, your not stuffing a SXS in that Toy Hauler. Given what this thing cost new I was not impressed, just another cheap sticks and staples RV.
It has a 14' long garage section that starts at 99" wide, and then drops to 72" at the cabinet area; 79" from the back. The CanAm X3 is 11' long and 64" wide (or 72" for the wide track model). It would be tight, but doable (I'm assuming the 2 Euro chairs are moveable). Of course you're not putting anything else in there other than perhaps a bike!

72" wide in stock form, at full droop with the wheels strapped. going to a taller tire you widen up a smidge. they need to be 80" wide min for ease of loading. they could easily build them this way with a narrowed base cabinet but they won't.

2fiftyR
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned two 20'Carson TH over the years. I now have a 40' 2009 CR37 Weekend Warrior and a 2012 Carson TH (for woods camping).

I can tell you that Carson makes a very good TH for the value and yes it is no Momentum. Fifth wheels are hard to get long garages without paying for it in prices, length, weight, etc.

I would never hesitate buying a Carson. They have their entry level and then their nicer versions.

Good luck

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:

I looked at a new Grand Design RV Momentum G-Class 21G here local and Blackdiamond is correct, your not stuffing a SXS in that Toy Hauler. Given what this thing cost new I was not impressed, just another cheap sticks and staples RV.
It has a 14' long garage section that starts at 99" wide, and then drops to 72" at the cabinet area; 79" from the back. The CanAm X3 is 11' long and 64" wide (or 72" for the wide track model). It would be tight, but doable (I'm assuming the 2 Euro chairs are moveable). Of course you're not putting anything else in there other than perhaps a bike!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:
Something I never looked at and ran across in my internet travels today is the Grand Design RV Momentum G-Class 21G Travel Trailer Toy Hauler. Pretty nice layout for a 21 FT TH. Looks like this model came out in 2019.

I don't need all the bling and not sure on the axels, 16" wheels and 7000 lb would be better.

GD Momentum G-Class 21G
I don't think you will be getting a SXS in that but the quad and bike will fit.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

tom28
Explorer
Explorer
Right! Look at grand design rv reviews They provide a variety of rvs that will match your desire.

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Something I never looked at and ran across in my internet travels today is the Grand Design RV Momentum G-Class 21G Travel Trailer Toy Hauler. Pretty nice layout for a 21 FT TH. Looks like this model came out in 2019.

I don't need all the bling and not sure on the axels, 16" wheels and 7000 lb would be better.

GD Momentum G-Class 21G

dedmiston
If you stick to a bumper pull, you should be able to fit a two-seater SxS in the back and a bike up towards the kitchen. It will be tight though and you won't have any factory anchor points up there. It's doable though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks JDC

Yes the Carson is sparse and entry levelish for sure but they seem to hold up well out west anyway. Don't see any here in the south and very few used out in the internet.

I'm looking to not dump $50K into a TH and instead use some of that money for toys for this initial jump back into RV'ing. I have internet looked at everything from ATC, Sundowner and Dune sport down to the Carson line. I keep the package at the lower lenght end I think my needs can be filled with a 20-22 Ft bumper pull TH. I want to keep my foot print on the lower side to be able to get into camp sites that have smller sites like federal and state parks. Will also do some desert campimg. I can see myself doing 2-3 30 day trips a year and some local lake weekend camping and 1-2 weeks stuff.

My toys will consist of 1) KTM 350 EXC-F Enduro bike and 2) Honda Fourtrax Rincon or Can-Am Maverick 2-Seat. I'm leaning towards to KTM/Honda combo.

My all in budget is $50K so it should allow me some bandwith to put this all together. Whatever direction I head in the TH will be used and the toys new unless I run across a smoking hot deal on the toys used..

Dennis

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carson had strictly made utility trailers for years. Then they added dump trailers to their inventory. Then they started making toyhaulers of the least expensive quality. They were taken off the lots fast, because they were thousands of dollars cheaper than other manufactures. Sparse is what they were. But, for what you paid, they would do the trick until you could afford something better.