cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost to install apparatus for Flat-towing

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
While I've had and used a Tow Dolly for a couple years, I've always found it inconvenient, requiring me to have storage when not in use. As a result, been considering replacing this with a towing apparatus for my Class A, and called Camping World to research, and get an estimate...

WHOA!

At $5,400+, it was quite a bit more than I anticipated... but is it accurate? Looking for input, experience, and anything else that will help me decide if this is an option I should consider...

At this price, I think I'd continue with the dolly...

Your thoughts?

Thanks, MIchael
53 REPLIES 53

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Demco (SMI) Stay and Play brake system. It stays in place. Flip and on/off switch when hooking up. Works great.
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
tow bars have safety cables or chains ready brake or others have lights telling if hooked up pretty simple. If you run bald tires nothing helps stupid. Use your equipment required all will be well but still can't fix stupid.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
So if I buy new, use it ten years, it gets worn out and fails, youโ€™ll be ok?

Have you heard of anybody thatโ€™s has been sued for equipment failure?

Bald tires? Overweight?

Insurance pays for all that. Civil suits happen but they are rare.
100% correct. The sky is not falling. Pretty easy to look at a tow bar and mount to see if something is wrong with it.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
obiwancanoli wrote:
I concluded the Readybrake not as effective simply because using the brakes on the toad would seem to me to be more effective. I have no other evidence to support my conclusion, but am happy to accede to more knowledgeable sources...

way2roll wrote:
obiwancanoli wrote:
OK, here's something else I'm researching... braking systems.

Also happened across a Readybrute with built-in braking mechanism, and concluded it's probably not as effective as what's needed, but again, am a rookie at this... which explains why I'm posting this...

Why would you conclude the ready brute elite not as effective? This is likely the most simple, effective and risk risk free set up you can have. It's a surge brake built into the bar itself and uses your own car's braking system. It's all mechanical so no wiring to fail, no air or hydraulics to fail, nothing to install/uninstall every time you hook up.

The readybrute still uses the toad's brakes. It just activates them differently. IMHO it's a better way. It's a little extra setup to run the cable thru the firewall but once you do that once, it's much simpler to use than any other braking system I've ever seen.

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I concluded the Readybrake not as effective simply because using the brakes on the toad would seem to me to be more effective. I have no other evidence to support my conclusion, but am happy to accede to more knowledgeable sources...

way2roll wrote:
obiwancanoli wrote:

Also happened across a Readybrute with built-in braking mechanism, and concluded it's probably not as effective as what's needed, but again, am a rookie at this... which explains why I'm posting this...

Why would you conclude the ready brute elite not as effective? This is likely the most simple, effective and risk risk free set up you can have. It's a surge brake built into the bar itself and uses your own car's braking system. It's all mechanical so no wiring to fail, no air or hydraulics to fail, nothing to install/uninstall every time you hook up.

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
$3,000 if you buy new including a Brake Buddy
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
obiwancanoli wrote:

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The brake systems powered by the RV's air brakes are the best and most reliable. M&G is the best but they don't have equipment to fit all tow vehicles. Air Force 1 would be my 2nd choice. I have been towing with an M&G for 20 years without issue.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy has a wireless blue OX brake system that goes on he drivers front floor. He hasn't had any issues with it in over a year of using it. That will probably be the system I go with next!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
obiwancanoli wrote:

Since my current Ford Edge (3.5, Titanium) HAS a tow package - complete with wiring harness for anything I tow with it - can I tie into this wiring, assuming I have a wiring kit that connects the RV lights/signals to those of the toad? Or is this better simply running the wiring the entire length of the toad, from its taillights to the RV connection?

My guess is no, the system probably won't work backwards unless you did some serious rewiring. It triggers off of pressing the brake pedal of the Edge, which is not in use. I'll be curious to see what others say....

Al

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer

Spoke with a dealer about installation, etc., and he's been very helpful... will probably have him install everything... this dealer seemed to not like the idea of using the coach braking system tied into the toad, too many risks that were anything to go wrong, it could adversely affect the pair.

So we discussed other types of braking systems, at which point he suggested a wireless braking system. I haven't seen any posts on this subject, so I'm curious if this might be worth looking into.

Other systems require a box-like unit placed on the driver side floor, in front of the brake, but it seems to require power to run, and that won't do when the battery's supposed to be disconnected.

So, thanks again, for your contributions... getting closer to pulling the trigger...

What up?

Since my current Ford Edge (3.5, Titanium) HAS a tow package - complete with wiring harness for anything I tow with it - can I tie into this wiring, assuming I have a wiring kit that connects the RV lights/signals to those of the toad? Or is this better simply running the wiring the entire length of the toad, from its taillights to the RV connection?

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to note.....installing the base plate yourself will vary depending on the vehicle. After installing one on a 2017 Ford Explorer, I think I'd pay someone to do it next time....it's not rocket science or even that physically difficult....just a real pain in the $&%*#. Have to remove 1/2 of the front end, shim the washer fluid reservoir and then reshape the inside of the grill.....

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Our Jeep dealer charged me $300.00 to install the base plate on the Jeep.
I purchased a new Roadmaster Sterling from a person who never used it because they traded their motorhome for a 5th wheel for $200.00. Saw it on Craigslist.
I think I paid about $250 for the base plate.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Our Jeep dealer charged me $300.00 to install the base plate on the Jeep.
I purchased a new Roadmaster Sterling from a person who never used it because they traded their motorhome for a 5th wheel for $200.00. Saw it on Craigslist.
I think I paid about $250 for the base plate.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!