cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HOA says NO to temp RV for Dr.

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some HOA insanity to go along with virus insanity. The universal irrational safety excuse, "our community was not designed in a way that makes it safe for RVs to be parked outside the townhomes."

clicky
71 REPLIES 71

dedmiston
Ugh. So much garbage in this thread. I deleted what I could. I think the discussion has run its course though, so I'm closing it.

For future reference, please keep the rhetoric about Hitler and the Nazis out of your posts. It really doesn't help to make your point.

And yes, I do see the irony of the moderator shutting down the active discussion because of too much talk about the Nazis. Sorry.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
ajriding wrote:
Lantley wrote:
ajriding wrote:
still stupid post.
If you sign an agreement then do not like it later, you still have to abide by it. An illness going around does not nullify your signed agreement unless there is a virus clause in it. Stupid to complain about this on an RV forum. You signed the agreement apparently to not park an RV in your yard or on the street.
If you want to ask the HOA if you can use the RV for your circumstances then that is up to the HOA to allow it or not. This is not an RV issue for us. You signed the agreement! Why did you sign the agreement?

Does this mean I can open my restaurant or barbershop and ignore the shut down orders because I have a signed agreement allowing me to do so?
The government issued me a license signed by the governor that said I could operate my business.

Possibly so, you will have to try it in court unfortunately. That (your store)
is a Constitutional issue, much more complex than a simple HOA agreement that says you cannot park an RV in your driveway, yard, or the street, this is pretty straight-forward. People are home more and even more so don't want to look at your junky RV all day. Park it somewhere that allows you to, or convert your garage. I see no reason to make an exception here if they do not want to afford you this. What even is this post for? Maybe better placed in some random HOA forum instead.

How ironic to suggest trying it in court. Unfortunately the courts are closed due the pandemic. So maybe it's a good for the Doc to just park his RV and let the HOA take him to court!

It is all about the agreement he signed in good faith. The HOA probably has the authority, by his consent in the signed HOA agreement, to come in and tow the RV off for non compliance.
This is not about freedoms or rights, this is a simple contract law issue. He singed on the dotted line that he would not park RV in the neighborhood. There is really nothing further to discuss.
I doubt there is a pandemic clause in the HOA agreement. I doubt there is any clause that allows for the agreed upon rules to be broken, but that is different for each individual neighborhood HOA contract. Many of those HOA's use cookie-cutter contracts too.
The HOA board probably does have the authority to consider anything, but their decision would be final.
When you sign a legal document, then that document is binding. That is how contracts work, pandemic or not. We still uphold laws in this country.
You people thinking all goes into the trash because the media has stirred you into a frenzy are the ones who rolled out the Red Carpet for Aldolf

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
As to HOA'S. if the rules are the ironclad rules and not bendable in times of real needs. I/we and most intelligent people/humans would have the common sense to packup, move, and sell the albatross place to the next dumb sucker. There's a fool born every day and the leeches in life are very alive and well trained to seek them out and control them and their lives!

Some people are much smarter than others and it sure does show! "The land of the FREE" is under seige and we need to put a stop to it! That certainly includes where you live and call home too! The ghestopo is on a continous power control trip in so many "communities" and "neighborhoods" and should/must be stopped so its residents can return to living in "The land of the free". Not in controlled prison like atmospheres.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
time2roll wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
Maybe the HOA board is a thankless because they act like a bunch of nazis telling people how long they can have their door open.
I guess the honeymoon is over. You loved moving in on that tree lined street clear of cars, perfect yards, garages closed, community pool and all the rest. Then you pull in your RV and there are ten complaints. What should they do?

I live in a very nice and desireable neighborhood, but it isnt sterile. I couldnt care less if someones garage is open or if they park their car on the street. Perfect yard? Who cares! Kids playing on the street....super! Hey, if you want to live in a Stepford community, thats your business, but its not, in my mind, a desirable place to live, nor do i want to live where someone is breathing down my neck telling me to close my garage door or tell me i cant plant a particular flower because it doesnt meet their expectations. Thats crazy.

OK, OK, I get it. The consensus of opinion on this forum is that HOA's are pretty much the work of the devil himself. I'm sure some of them....plenty of them...are indeed horrific.

However, being in Real Estate since the mid-1980's, I've pretty much seen it all. The good and the bad. Believe me, there are plenty of both.

For a small monthly fee, I personally love the idea that the entrance to my neighborhood and all common areas are meticulous. I like the idea that my lawn and my landscaping are perfect -- without me having to lift a finger. I love the idea that four doors down is a beautiful impeccably-maintained pool, again, without me having to lift a finger to maintain it.

Yes, to each his own, and we can agree to disagree, because what's of value to some of us (especially those of us with physical limitations) is not valuable to others.....that's the beauty of it all ๐Ÿ™‚
I agree, in many situations HOAs are both an asset and almost a necessity. With many years of dealing with the public, I can attest to the fact that some people justify saying or doing anything if it serves their purposes. I can easily envision the HOA having a multiple homeowners wanting to park RVs under the pretense they are "medical workers". Fact is, people will lie to get what they want. Not really any different than the entitled people who pawn off their pets as "service animals" to take them to places they otherwise wouldn't be allowed.
To the incident mentioned in this post, why does the guy have to park in his driveway? If he is actually isolating himself from his family, he can park it at a RV park. Maybe the hospital will let him set up in the parking lot. He really doesn't need to be in the driveway since he is isolating, which means not having contact with those in the house.
We know nothing about the history between the HOA and the home owners. Maybe there has been ongoing issues either with this specific homeowner or another owner or two and the HOA knows it will open a huge can of worms if they now make an exception. Sometimes it isn't worth the risk to take even a peek inside Pandora's box.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
time2roll wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
Maybe the HOA board is a thankless because they act like a bunch of nazis telling people how long they can have their door open.
I guess the honeymoon is over. You loved moving in on that tree lined street clear of cars, perfect yards, garages closed, community pool and all the rest. Then you pull in your RV and there are ten complaints. What should they do?

I live in a very nice and desireable neighborhood, but it isnt sterile. I couldnt care less if someones garage is open or if they park their car on the street. Perfect yard? Who cares! Kids playing on the street....super! Hey, if you want to live in a Stepford community, thats your business, but its not, in my mind, a desirable place to live, nor do i want to live where someone is breathing down my neck telling me to close my garage door or tell me i cant plant a particular flower because it doesnt meet their expectations. Thats crazy.

OK, OK, I get it. The consensus of opinion on this forum is that HOA's are pretty much the work of the devil himself. I'm sure some of them....plenty of them...are indeed horrific.

However, being in Real Estate since the mid-1980's, I've pretty much seen it all. The good and the bad. Believe me, there are plenty of both.

For a small monthly fee, I personally love the idea that the entrance to my neighborhood and all common areas are meticulous. I like the idea that my lawn and my landscaping are perfect -- without me having to lift a finger. I love the idea that four doors down is a beautiful impeccably-maintained pool, again, without me having to lift a finger to maintain it.

Yes, to each his own, and we can agree to disagree, because what's of value to some of us (especially those of us with physical limitations) is not valuable to others.....that's the beauty of it all ๐Ÿ™‚
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
jfkmk wrote:

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ajriding wrote:
Lantley wrote:
ajriding wrote:
still stupid post.
If you sign an agreement then do not like it later, you still have to abide by it. An illness going around does not nullify your signed agreement unless there is a virus clause in it. Stupid to complain about this on an RV forum. You signed the agreement apparently to not park an RV in your yard or on the street.
If you want to ask the HOA if you can use the RV for your circumstances then that is up to the HOA to allow it or not. This is not an RV issue for us. You signed the agreement! Why did you sign the agreement?

Does this mean I can open my restaurant or barbershop and ignore the shut down orders because I have a signed agreement allowing me to do so?
The government issued me a license signed by the governor that said I could operate my business.

is a Constitutional issue, much more complex than a simple HOA agreement that says you cannot park an RV in your driveway, yard, or the street, this is pretty straight-forward. People are home more and even more so don't want to look at your junky RV all day. Park it somewhere that allows you to, or convert your garage. I see no reason to make an exception here if they do not want to afford you this. What even is this post for? Maybe better placed in some random HOA forum instead.

How ironic to suggest trying it in court. Unfortunately the courts are closed due the pandemic. So maybe it's a good for the Doc to just park his RV and let the HOA take him to court!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
ajriding wrote:
still stupid post.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
If a hurricane came through and flipped a car over on to the lawn would you give the owner citation for parking illegally?
The rules say "NO parking on the Grass!":S
In reasonable time yes. Same for if the trailer blew into the front yard.

Deliberately placed there.... probably no provision for a grace period.

Did you go to the board meeting and ask?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Lantley wrote:
solman wrote:
I understand the unique and special circumstances of the request. A camper in use in a driveway is beyond temporary storage. However once the HOA begins to make exceptions it's a slippery slope and others will follow. What do you do when the the water leaks /tank smells and other problems arise?

A pandemic is beyond an exception. There are so many exceptions caused by the Pandemic that allowing a Dr. to stay in their RV for safety reasons is trivial by comparison to all the other exceptions going on.
As far as leaks, if something leaks you fix it and clean it up no different than if something leaks from one of the houses.
Fear of a leak is not a viable reason for denial. Since the RV is not connected to hook ups there are less likely to be sewage leaks.
Fear of anything is actually a valid reason to have the rule. Once the rule is in place there is no justification needed.

JUST FOLLOW THE RULE

Same for parking in the garage.
Same for the maximum length your grass can grow.
Same for bringing in the trash cans.
Same for the shape, color and position of your mailbox.

Excuses, reasons, justification, whatever. JUST FOLLOW THE RULES

Or get elected to this thankless unpaid position and see if you can get things changed. Best of luck. Until then, JUST FOLLOW THE RULES

If this whole scenario wasn't the result of a pandemic I would agree with you.
If the rules specifically addressed a pandemic I would agree with you.
But since the Pandemic is basically an unforeseen force of nature I think the rules can be altered accordingly.
If a hurricane came through and flipped a car over on to the lawn would you give the owner citation for parking illegally?
The rules say "NO parking on the Grass!":S
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I think that's what they kept telling the colonists when they complained, and threw tea in the Boston Harbor: JUST FOLLOW THE RULES.
Different issue. May need to revisit some history books.
I am not going to revisit the issue here.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that's what they kept telling the colonists when they complained, and threw tea in the Boston Harbor: JUST FOLLOW THE RULES.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
solman wrote:
I understand the unique and special circumstances of the request. A camper in use in a driveway is beyond temporary storage. However once the HOA begins to make exceptions it's a slippery slope and others will follow. What do you do when the the water leaks /tank smells and other problems arise?

A pandemic is beyond an exception. There are so many exceptions caused by the Pandemic that allowing a Dr. to stay in their RV for safety reasons is trivial by comparison to all the other exceptions going on.
As far as leaks, if something leaks you fix it and clean it up no different than if something leaks from one of the houses.
Fear of a leak is not a viable reason for denial. Since the RV is not connected to hook ups there are less likely to be sewage leaks.
Fear of anything is actually a valid reason to have the rule. Once the rule is in place there is no justification needed.

JUST FOLLOW THE RULE

Same for parking in the garage.
Same for the maximum length your grass can grow.
Same for bringing in the trash cans.
Same for the shape, color and position of your mailbox.

Excuses, reasons, justification, whatever. JUST FOLLOW THE RULES

Or get elected to this thankless unpaid position and see if you can get things changed. Best of luck. Until then, JUST FOLLOW THE RULES

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
The thing most seem to ignore here is that the DR. denied is in fact the HOA! When you move into an HOA, a completely volunteer action, you become a member of and the HOA. If you decide to not participate in the actions of that body and ignore your responsibilities, you suffer whatever actions the other members wish to take.

Too many with no understanding tend to think of the HOA as a monolithic entity impervious to the wants of the whole. It is not. It is neighbors banding together for the common good. The rules are all subject to change and designed to reflect the majority desires. Those who move into an HOA and choose to not participate are going to get exactly what they chose. Rules made for other's desires and not necessarily ones they agree with.