Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: HOA says NO to temp RV for Dr.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> HOA says NO to temp RV for Dr.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/20 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also would never buy into an HOA for all the reasons stated. That said, as I start to age out, I could see myself living in a nice small home, the same color as everyone else's with a nondescript door color and an approved mail box. I won't be able to drive anymore so putting my trailer in front to clean or load up won't be a problem.

Actually, the issue posted by the OP is one of common sense. It isn't as easy as sign the contact and follow the rules. I would hope that if I ever end up in a place like this, the board will have some common sense driven by trying to help others and the concept of working for the common good. Suppose you had a child that lived in a place that had a nuclear accident and the only way for them to get by would be to put their trailer in your driveway. Those who say rules are rules are worse than fools.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a few years back there was an article in the WAPO on HOAs,etc. one homeowner won an award for the appearance of his front lawn, plantings, etc. Then it was found to be not in compliance with the HOA regulations. [emoticon]
one homeowner got permission to add a brass kickplate on the front door and his neighbor got fussed at for adding the same plate on his door but he hadn't gotten permission to do so first.

Bad egos etc. can destroy any development. they get a feelling of power and it goes to their head.
bumpy

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/20 11:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Hi, what is unsafe about parking a travel trailer in the driveway? This is nonsense. I live in an HOA and parked my trailer on my property since day one. Later got notice that RV's were not allowed. Six years later, my trailer is still parked on my property. The only thing that I don't like is paying an HOA fee and getting nothing for it.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/20 11:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

And this is why I don't live in a association based development.

Dan
Yes that is fine. Lots of people are tired of the junk and poorly maintained houses of a development with no enforceable rules and would not live in a place without an association.

To each their own. Just read the rules and be perfectly willing to follow them and even embrace them. Or embrace freedom for better or worse.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/20 12:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am on an HOA board. My philosophy is what will an appraiser think? Some of our rules wouldn't register with an appraiser. Junk cars would. So our staff goes after that sort of violation. I have lived next to nazi HOAs, not fun and it really doesn't add to property value, as "the word" gets out, so resale is affected. In regard to the OP- if this was here, it would certainly be allowed- there is a difference between letter of the law and spirit of the law. In this case, letter of the law is unreasonable due to the current situation.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 04:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The exception should be made but HOA's are run by people. In this case it seems the people are being unreasonable.
Those who say they would not live in a HOA neighborhood like myself could still have an issue with an occupied RV being parked in the driveway.
In many communities it is a violation of zoning laws to have an occupied RV or 2 residences on the same property. The zoning board would have to make an exception or look the other way. Seems that making an exception would be the simple thing to do , but a zoning board could easily deny the request just like the HOA.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Hammerboy wrote:

And this is why I don't live in a association based development.

Dan
Yes that is fine. Lots of people are tired of the junk and poorly maintained houses of a development with no enforceable rules and would not live in a place without an association.

To each their own. Just read the rules and be perfectly willing to follow them and even embrace them. Or embrace freedom for better or worse.

I too would not want to live around everybody's junk either, fortunately we live in a nicer development where people for the most part take some pride in ownership. You can live in nice developments without having to live with a HOA. Lots of HOA's are great but we all hear about the ones that are dictatorships that often make the news.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

However, in a development as such, I would almost always view the HOA as a definite plus. When it comes time for me to sell, I don't want the 6 cars in my neighbors front yard, the 12" tall grass, the refrigerator on the front porch, or his dilapidated storage shed to have a bearing on the value of my home.

Unfortunately an HOA doesn’t guarantee any of this. I live in a development with no HOA. There is absolutely nothing like what you described around here.

My brother lived in an area very similar to mine, but with an HOA. He had to get permission to plant rose bushes and paint his front door. When he had to replace his roof, it had to be one of two shingles.

Yet his neighbor had the fridge on her back deck and was accumulating garbage on the deck. He complained, but the HOA said they couldn’t do anything about it.

I am one of the HOA haters.

It's nice that your neighborhood has no issues, and obviously doesn't need an HOA. But, speaking as a Realtor, yours is the exception rather than the rule. If I bought the house across the street from you, painted it pink, re-roofed it with bright green shingles, and parked all 6 of my cars on the front lawn, there's nothing anyone can do about it, as long as I'm not violating county ordinances.

I agree that HOA's don't "guarantee" anything, but properly run organizations not afraid to show their teeth when necessary come as close to guaranteeing this as is humanly possible.

Again, to each his own. I just know what my past experience as a Realtor has made evident to me. Have a great day!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

One reasonable answer...where does the sewage go?

If this goes on for even 2 weeks and he's using the on board facilities...he will likely need to dump at least a couple times. And since he's borrowing the unit, he likely isn't well adapted to minimizing water usage.

That said, I'll give 10-1 odds there is more to the story.

If you want to make up a "STORY" let's get it a little more closely to REALITY. My wife and I can easily go two weeks on the Black tank, that's being in quarantine. The person can easily take their showers at the Hospital if they want to.

ORRRR Got forbid let the grey tank drain in the lawn each day so there is no oder!

So the person is wanting to do something that certainly is not what they WANT to do but believe is the best interest of the family.

A little common sense would go a long way here!

The below works WELL.

"He is also paying to have the tanks pumped by a honeywagon when the time comes so she doesn't have to worry about it."

I could go 2 weeks also...but as with you, I'm also familiar with water conservation. If this guy is borrowing a rig, there is no indication he understands any of this. He could easily fill the tanks every 2-3 days.

Also, good chance he doesn't understand black vs gray tanks. As someone borrowing, he likely doesn't have a truck to haul it to a dump station...

Not sure where you got the quote from. Did they update the article as it wasn't there originally.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

One reasonable answer...where does the sewage go?

If this goes on for even 2 weeks and he's using the on board facilities...he will likely need to dump at least a couple times. And since he's borrowing the unit, he likely isn't well adapted to minimizing water usage.

That said, I'll give 10-1 odds there is more to the story.

If you want to make up a "STORY" let's get it a little more closely to REALITY. My wife and I can easily go two weeks on the Black tank, that's being in quarantine. The person can easily take their showers at the Hospital if they want to.

ORRRR Got forbid let the grey tank drain in the lawn each day so there is no oder!

So the person is wanting to do something that certainly is not what they WANT to do but believe is the best interest of the family.

A little common sense would go a long way here!

The below works WELL.

"He is also paying to have the tanks pumped by a honeywagon when the time comes so she doesn't have to worry about it."

I could go 2 weeks also...but as with you, I'm also familiar with water conservation. If this guy is borrowing a rig, there is no indication he understands any of this. He could easily fill the tanks every 2-3 days.

Also, good chance he doesn't understand black vs gray tanks. As someone borrowing, he likely doesn't have a truck to haul it to a dump station...

Not sure where you got the quote from. Did they update the article as it wasn't there originally.

If "I" were to loan my RV to someone I certainly give the person a VERY detailed list and also talk on the phone to that person about the details, NOT all that hard!

The "quote" is from someone on this thread I don't remember who.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> HOA says NO to temp RV for Dr.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.