Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: HOA says NO to temp RV for Dr.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> HOA says NO to temp RV for Dr.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

Townhouse... I have yet to see a townhouse community with sufficient room for a RV to safely park. Most of them have one or 2 regular sized parking spots for cars. Without seeing that your particular community has a different setup that would allow for safe movement of cars and firetrucks, I'd have to agree with them.

There are plenty of town house communities with driveways.
I agree there needs to be a viable place to park.
But that is true with any community . Just the fact that it is a townhouse does not mean there is no space to accommodate an RV.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our surrounding neighborhood of at least a 1,000+ radius and the city also and the surrounding city's etc even 10 miles away do not have rundown or junky homes or properties or old abandoned vehicles in them. Local direct area's population is 72,000 so it's not that small. It's an upbeat area and always has been for the last 78+ years we have lived in the local area. Extremely popular vacation area with many millions of visitors each year and so many even move here too as having vacationed here and know. So, there must be a very desireable reason??? People take pride in their properties around here. HOA's are very few and so far between around here and certainly not needed at all.

Many, in the thousands plus have owned RV's and boats mostly kept behind the front facia of the home which is a new township, city, and most of the county rule put into effect about 15 years ago. However, if an RV or boat was owned before the new rule went into effect and had been parked in front of the front facia of the home, they were grandfathered in and that had been decided and ruled by the local courts. YES, even in the established HOA areas as any rule put into effect cannot infringe on previously owned and occupied before the new rules properties. Property owners have rights too and the courts ruled that those rights when purchased cannot be infringed upon.

Our main home property size is 90 X 233 and is grandfathered in also and we park our truck with the big TC on right in our main driveway all spring, summer, and fall, legally! Always have had one parked there and can also park our 5th wheel legally on the northside . Many others do also! Even though we have a northside 12' wide driveway going back thru the chain link fence gate all the way back to our 5th wheel storage area and the 1200 sq ft toy barn which is finished off the match the home. We are in the township and just 300 feet from the city limits in a very fine built up area having 156 homes and a few were built back in the 1930's etc but sure well maintained. BTW, home our area only has one road into it and the same road back out!

Boating and RV'ing/camping is a way of life here as all waters are navigable and connected to Lake Michigan and there's 13 RV campgrounds right here in our local area.

NO ONE is going to tell me or us want we can or cannot do on our own owned property as long as it's within the state, county, township, or city legal laws when such property was purchased.

Our observation over the years is that HOA areas look cold, stuffy, and far from vibrant places to live and call "home". Like a form of a prison without being surrounded by bars but sure has the gestapo control feel and actions on steroids! NO THANKS!!!

BTW, the Dr's temporary RV would be very welcome here in our area. WE are not snobbish and are very helpful.

Even have had many times family and friends visiting from around the country staying on our northside driveway in their RV's for up to 2 weeks legally and the neighbors have never complained once nor has the law enforcers either or the township which has a little over 20,000 population presently!

* This post was last edited 04/19/20 11:50am by travelnutz *   View edit history

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my buddies lived in a gated HOA community and he was fined when I went to his house with my boat to pick him up for a fishing trip.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super Dave,

Very sick minded HOA idiot yoyo's!

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Check the article about the guy in Naples FL that painted his $500K house recently. Sorry, not sure how to post a link. Google it.

Yeah, I had heard about this guy. If you’re going to use this as an argument for an HOA, it is a very poor argument.

This guy is clearly deranged or on some kind of drugs. What is an HOA going to do, fine him? Deranged people can and do live in HOAs (from what I’ve read, a lot of them are on the HOA boards - haha just kidding), and I doubt someone who would do this would not care about your rules or fines.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from reports that I have heard in the past, fines/etc. would be the least of his problems.
bumpy

solman

Deep in the heart of Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 04:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand the unique and special circumstances of the request. A camper in use in a driveway is beyond temporary storage. However once the HOA begins to make exceptions it's a slippery slope and others will follow. What do you do when the the water leaks /tank smells and other problems arise?

Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

solman wrote:

I understand the unique and special circumstances of the request. A camper in use in a driveway is beyond temporary storage. However once the HOA begins to make exceptions it's a slippery slope and others will follow. What do you do when the the water leaks /tank smells and other problems arise?

A pandemic is beyond an exception. There are so many exceptions caused by the Pandemic that allowing a Dr. to stay in their RV for safety reasons is trivial by comparison to all the other exceptions going on.
As far as leaks, if something leaks you fix it and clean it up no different than if something leaks from one of the houses.
Fear of a leak is not a viable reason for denial. Since the RV is not connected to hook ups there are less likely to be sewage leaks.

JALLEN4

SouthWest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing most seem to ignore here is that the DR. denied is in fact the HOA! When you move into an HOA, a completely volunteer action, you become a member of and the HOA. If you decide to not participate in the actions of that body and ignore your responsibilities, you suffer whatever actions the other members wish to take.

Too many with no understanding tend to think of the HOA as a monolithic entity impervious to the wants of the whole. It is not. It is neighbors banding together for the common good. The rules are all subject to change and designed to reflect the majority desires. Those who move into an HOA and choose to not participate are going to get exactly what they chose. Rules made for other's desires and not necessarily ones they agree with.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/20 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

solman wrote:

A pandemic is beyond an exception. There are so many exceptions caused by the Pandemic that allowing a Dr. to stay in their RV for safety reasons is trivial by comparison to all the other exceptions going on.
As far as leaks, if something leaks you fix it and clean it up no different than if something leaks from one of the houses.
Fear of a leak is not a viable reason for denial. Since the RV is not connected to hook ups there are less likely to be sewage leaks.
Fear of anything is actually a valid reason to have the rule. Once the rule is in place there is no justification needed.

JUST FOLLOW THE RULE

Same for parking in the garage.
Same for the maximum length your grass can grow.
Same for bringing in the trash cans.
Same for the shape, color and position of your mailbox.

Excuses, reasons, justification, whatever. JUST FOLLOW THE RULES

Or get elected to this thankless unpaid position and see if you can get things changed. Best of luck. Until then, JUST FOLLOW THE RULES

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> HOA says NO to temp RV for Dr.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.