cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv getting channel loss 771 but not really

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I continually get 771 signal loss on 1 at the bottom of my screen. The weather is perfect and CA and CB on signal strength screen all in 90's. No trees in the way.

This has been going on for 2 days. The message at the bottom of the screen comes and goes, becoming aggravating. DirecTV help at 800-531-5000 is not available due to COVID99.

Recorded message I finally got says press channel up twice followed by channel down twice. It works temporarily.
17 REPLIES 17

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The standard SWM LNB can only handle 8 tuners. Maybe he installed a SWM16 LNB.

He did install a 3D2LNB, which supposedly supports up to 16 lines and we have a 28 volt PI. I still get an occasional 775 on my Genie. As a last resort, I will change one of my DVR's from "dual" to "single" if the 775 continues to be an issue. I would prefer doing this to having another tech come, during our quarantine. My wife has several of the high-risk conditions.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The standard SWM LNB can only handle 8 tuners. Maybe he installed a SWM16 LNB.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
The DirecTV tech came yesterday.

I had a system that used a legacy LNB, ran all 4 coaxes to a box mounted outside. From this box, the two Coax ran inside to 2-8 way SWM splitters. The system wes powered by a 28 volt PI. At the time, I had a Genie. three DVR's and a receiver, all requiring 12 lines. One of the 103 connectors was badly corroded and barely making up.

The tech said that was all outdated. He removed the LNB and replaced it with a SWM LNB. Now I have 9 lines running off one SWM LNB, still powered by the 28 volt PI. which I thought wouldn't work, before, but it is working fine. Don't know what's changed to allow 9 lines to work off one splitter.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the same Slimline dish/LNB on a heavy duty tripod for 9+ years full time. The dish has been through a lot and set up I have no clue how many times. My tripod is weighted with a 5 gallon bucket of water so 40 pounds plus the weight of the bucket. Last week we had a sudden thunderstorm that hit with estimated 50-60 mph straight line winds and blew the tripod over and of course it landed right on the LNB. I put it back up and started aiming. All sats were mid to high 90's except 99ca. I could not get it above 82-84 until I realized the LNB arm was not only bent but it would move up and down about 1/4" and all of it's mounting bolts were tight. It seems the arm mount location on the dish was bent a bit also. Soooo, I grabbed my backup dish that I have been hoarding for a number of years and put it in service with my original LNB. Now all is well again with all sats above 95.

Why did the wind have to hit my dish from the back so it would fall on the arm? That black cloud, literally, was following me around again.

Did I try to call DirecTV for assistance? Didn't waste my time.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I still get the 771. I've tried moving my three coax connections around on my two 8 way splitters. I need the two splitters because my three DVR's need 9 lines. Nothing seems to help.

My signals are all in the 90's except for 99 Ca which stays in the low 80's. No transponders in the 70's.

I've operated, when traveling, with transponders in the 70's but this never caused any problem. I've checked signal strength many times during this 771 situation and never seen anything that would cause this.

I finally got through to DirecTV on the phone and have a guy coming tomorrow. I will not be surprised if the LNB is the problem. If I had a spare legacy LNB I would have already tried it.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
All satellites have a bit of a wobble. I saw the message the other day, repointed the Trav'ler but still saw the message from time to time. Nothing has changed but the message is gone. It could well have been something related to the satellite or the upload between the ground and the satellite. Bad weather in Gaithersburg, MD (if they are still there) can degrade the overall signal.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We experienced somehing similar a couple of years ago. We were getting the dreaded "771 loss of signal" message too even in clear weather and we have NO trees to obstruct. Long story short, what it turned out to be was our satellite dish (over the years) had been bumped or whatever and was out of alignment! We had a Direct serviceman out to check things out, he replaced our LNB (even though he didn't really think that was it) and re-tuned the dish. NO more "771" messages since!

It's hard to say what's going on in your situation but this is what ours turned out to be. Good luck!!

Dan

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
mikestock wrote:
...There has been no interruption of signal, just the banner along the bottom of the screen....

If the picture keeps coming through despite the 771, could it be another channel you are recording such as a local that you are out of the spot beam for? That is the usual cause when I see the 771 (unless there is a thunderstorm in the way).
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Satellite AR is not 100% accurate and certainly not something that would indicate if your signal is blocked or not. It's just a general guide.

I know it the satellites move about on the phone's screen but I got the limb down anyway. Using a compass and inclinometer I am positive there is no blockage. As I said all of my signals remain constant in the 90's. I have not seen any actual signal loss, just the "771" banner saying "Loss on 1", at the bottom of the screen.

Haven't seen it once today, even though we're having thunderstorms.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Satellite AR is not 100% accurate and certainly not something that would indicate if your signal is blocked or not. It's just a general guide.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You know the signal comes from about 23ยฐ higher than the elevation of the arm...?

Yes. 22.5. I used Satellite AR. I cut a limb but still got the 771. There has been no interruption of signal, just the banner along the bottom of the screen.
All of my signals are still in the 90's. I thought it might have been the wind blowing the tulip tree limb into the path but I don't think that was the case. Anyway, the limb is gone but the problem is still there.

I hope nobody needs service from DirecTV anytime soon. Sounds like, from my phone call, it may be difficult to get help.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You know the signal comes from about 23ยฐ higher than the elevation of the arm...?

yes

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you are way up North, you can judge if you are far enough away from a tree. If that tree fell down and would actually hit the antenna on the roof, you might be too close. It's not perfect science but generally if you are at least that far away the tree should not be blocking your signal.
I see the same message when the coach settles a bit and Trav'ler on the roof gets a bit off signal. If you have a Genie it will show up on some channels and not others as some of the transponders have weaker signals than others.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman