cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mission Load Max Radial crowned like a bias ply.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bought three old trailer tires on rims to use on an OFFROAD firewood trailer. All kept in a dark building, no dry rot or cracking.

I am aware these tires are beyond their useful life for road use.

It's hard to find decent 15" tires to fit on implement rims these days without paying the long buck for actual implement tires.

The two Carlisles have a nice flat profile on the tread like I've come to expect from a radial.

The third, a 2004 "Mission Load Max Radial" has the profile of a bias tire. Is that normal?

Am I looking at a slipped belt on this one? It's perfectly round, and I'd expect it to be egg-shaped if a belt slipped.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
14 REPLIES 14

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Snip...

Finally got pictures but it looks like I need an external photo hosting site. Don't belong to one. Don't want to belong to one. So you're just going to have to use your imagination.

Snip...

No external hosting site needed! 🙂

If you will follow these directions exactly, it is very easy to post pictures on our forums. One of our moderators, 1492, developed this photo posting app to post your pictures. It works for other internet sites also. There is no need to have a separate hosting site for your pictures in order to use it.

It is very simple to use.
1. Upload your picture from your computer to the app.
2. Copy the resulting URL.
3. Paste that URL into your post

without ANY changes

. No additions or deletions.
Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on our forums.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
The one on the left is EXACTLY what mine looks like, though not as pronounced.

I don't have any other tires of that brand to compare it to, but the promotional photos for the brand show a nice square flat profile.

Finally got pictures but it looks like I need an external photo hosting site. Don't belong to one. Don't want to belong to one. So you're just going to have to use your imagination.

The tire is dated 2004 but is still supple and has no weather checking. Still had 55PSI in it when I let the air out this afternoon.

I only want to use it for a farm wagon, and a spare at that. Will only be inflated to 30-40PSI most likely.

A tire that is bulged out as shown above is separated! It has failed!! It's just that the belt is still trying to hold it together. Using the tire further will cause it to come apart - SUDDENLY and doing damage in the process!!

DO NOT USE A TIRE THAT LOOKS LIKE THAT!!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The one on the left is EXACTLY what mine looks like, though not as pronounced.

I don't have any other tires of that brand to compare it to, but the promotional photos for the brand show a nice square flat profile.

The tire is dated 2004 but is still supple and has no weather checking. Still had 55PSI in it when I let the air out this afternoon.

I only want to use it for a farm wagon, and a spare at that. Will only be inflated to 30-40PSI most likely.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
These were the tires on the curb side of my TT last year. These were LT commercial tires I bought as a new set about 5 yrs ago. No signs of dry rot at all. Note that these tires are identical, yet the one in the rear position slipped a belt or something...the tire is not egg-shaped, still round and rolls nice, but looks like could blow any minute!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the '70s I bought a old long narrow bed 3/4 ton Ford someone had made into a trailer. I used it for 8 years with the same old 10 ply tires that came on it when I bought it. They were cracked badly even then but held pressure even with 3000-3400 lb of green oak. The trailer was used on a 3 mile run down my paved county road. No doubt the tires wouldn't have lasted but 25 miles at 60 mph out on the highway. I gave the trailer to my neighbor who used it as a feed trailer behind his tractor. For a off road work trailer just about any tire with enough capacity will work.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Really surprised by the "DO NOT USE" posts... Unless their ground is amazingly flat, they'd probably be going no more than 20mph hauling firewood off road. Make sure there's a spare so you can change a flat, and go for it.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it will be fine if you keep your speed under 76 mph when hauling firewood off road.

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Bought three old trailer tires on rims to use on an OFFROAD firewood trailer. All kept in a dark building, no dry rot or cracking.

I am aware these tires are beyond their useful life for road use.

It's hard to find decent 15" tires to fit on implement rims these days without paying the long buck for actual implement tires.

The two Carlisles have a nice flat profile on the tread like I've come to expect from a radial.

The third, a 2004 "Mission Load Max Radial" has the profile of a bias tire. Is that normal?

Am I looking at a slipped belt on this one? It's perfectly round, and I'd expect it to be egg-shaped if a belt slipped.

That sounds like a tread separation - what you are calling a slipped belt - and, No!, it could be so old the ENTIRE belt has separated from the rest of the tire.

Do not use that tire!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Tell me something I don't know, like, why this tire's tread is crowned so much.

Tires tread width too wide for the wheel will ballon the center of the tread.
When I was on the road and one of my truck or trailer tires were more rounded more than the other same tire I used my tire thumper on the treads centers. A tread delam has a completely different sound.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
it was laying flat with offer tires on top.

OP never said that.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
it was laying flat with offer tires on top. there junk but might do the work you want out of them.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Any pictures?
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tell me something I don't know, like, why this tire's tread is crowned so much.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
in a dark hole or on the road 24/7 tires start rotting they day there made.they dry out the oils just break down .