Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Guidance Needed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Guidance Needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started out in a truck cap when I was younger. Was sure a lot better then a tent. Put plywood on the floor, covers on the windows and a sleeping bag.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would get more head room with a commercial topper. Go with barn doors so you don't have to mess with climbing over or dealing with a tailgate.

For the price of a used camper and if you don't need 4x4 you could look around for a used full size cargo van. Most have 55 inches or more of head room. Easier to get in and out of. More doors to enter/exit van or get to camping gear. Can leave boat trailer hitched up and still have a clear path to enter van from side door

* This post was edited 04/19/20 07:54pm by JD5150 *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can make a cardboard box into a "camper" as well, but it all depends on the space and amenities you're shooting for.
Fwiw, I don't consider a topper an upgrade from a tent. Maybe an equal depending on the setup and a downgrade in some scenarios.

I still love tent camping. Proba ly have spent enough nights in a tent to cover a couple years straight up, but it sure is luxurious to have an actual camper with fridge, heater, stove, water, shower, etc.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might want to wait and check these out. Manufactured by Eagle Cap/Adventurer. Scout camper. Two more new models coming.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/adv........rer-launches-scout-olympic-truck-camper/

https://www.scoutcampers.com/

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Four Wheeler TCs are good. But they are expensive and almost never for sale used. The only reason I have never owned one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Guidance Needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.