cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OTA TV Antenna

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone changed out their Winegard Motorized Batwing antenna for one of the newer types? My Winegard only works when it feels like it and I have been told that Winegard has discontinued support and no parts are available. Very disappointed.
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh I left somethign out of my last post.

With antennas there are two opposed factors: Beam width and forward gain (How far away it can "See")
An Omni has a beam width of 360 Degrees and unless they do some stuff like stack elements and add lots of amplification the range is kind of ... short. Very weak eyes as it were.

As you make the antenna more directional (Narrow the beam width) well it's kind of like a telescope or 'Field Glasses' (Binoculars)

Sitting in the nosebleed seats at Detroit's Masoinc Temple Theater you look down the the ants dancing around on the stage.

Grab a pair of Opera glasses (around 3-4 power Binoculars) and well they are people.

Grab a pair of say 7 power Field Glasses and you are like 3rd row center (Can't see the whole stage at the same time) I actually did this... Phantom of the Opera (Sir Andrew's version) Fantastic show. went back to see it a 2nd time this time I sat on the main floor not the upper balcony.

Same with the antenna

The thghter the beam width the farther it sees so a station 40,50.60 miles is not out of the question with the Sensar IV

But if that station is very far off center (The direction you aim) you wont' see it.

With the jack you won't see as FAR. but you see more "off to the side" due to gtreater beam width.

I go for distance.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually you can. It sounds like you have an Alfa with a really tall ceiling but you might have to buy a 3 step foldable ladder. There is no scenario where installing the right equipment is the wrong choice.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I will not be able to install a rotating antenna because the ceiling is to high to reach.

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I will not be able to install a rotating antenna because the ceiling is to high to reach.

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me explain the Winegard Sensar v/s the Jack graphically and otherwise

First as someone up-thread pointed out the Jack is a UHF antenna with limited VHF capability the Winegard is a VHF/VHF/UHF antenna (yes there are two VHF bands winegard gets 'em both Jack does too but one of em you almost need to be in the transmitter site driveway)

Second.. We will start with an OMNI antenna

Take a neckalce chain a map and a pin. put the pin in the map (representing yoru RV) and arrange the necklace chain around it so it's in the center.. This is an OMNI.. Now pull it into an egg shape with the RV at the intersection of the Minor and maor axis (THe major is the center of the egg shape divided long wise the minor is the diamater of the "large" part of the egg This is the Winegard Sensar II or III..

Now pull it even tigher (Taller, skinnier egg) This is the IV on UHF (VHF performance not changed)

now add a Sensor pro.. Add a 2nd necklace to the first so they become one longer chain. Same shape.

This is not accurate.. but is is descriptive.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a problem replacing one of the Winegard automatic antennas. I was able to find a refurb unit but Winegard is not selling any any longer. If that was a factory installed option you should contact the manufacturer to see if they have any replacements available. Winegard did provide the manufacturers with that product for awhile after they stopped selling to the public.
If that does not work I would recommend having the manual Sensar IV antenna installed as a replacement. You are likely going to have to relocate the antenna when you have clear ceiling space to drill a hole through the roof and through your ceiling into the coach. However, you will be able to reuse the existing coax running from the roof into the RV by simply making an extension that you can run from the new antenna, across the roof and a barrel connector to put the 2 pieces together. Use some caulk drops every couple of feet to hold the coax firmly to the roof and it will last for years and years.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you can use your existing hardware to mount the newest type antenna.

When I bought my RV it had a Winegard Batwing that was not working, I cleaned up all connections and tested to see if it was broken, it was,so I replaced it with a new bat wing then ran a Channel Scan I was not impressed with the amount of channels that I got. This was done in my driveway here in the south bay of So Calif about 30 miles from the transmitters, using my SensarPro.

I then went out and got a Wingman add on, that put my channel scan up to 85,but I had a clearance problem with the Wingman

So I opted to put a Jack Antenna on and my channel scan went up to 174

Cheaper too than the Winegard

I always get beat up by the techies, The debate will go on and on, but I know what works best for me,in the real world.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware, that King Jack antenna is a lousy performer for the many channels that are on, or are moving to, low VHF channels 2-6.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer

I installed one of these on my batwing mechanism. Last year while staying in Orlando I was able to receive over 250 channels. Needless to say I'm happy. Simple installation also.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have made TWO upgrades to my Sensar III one by choice. one by "Opps"

First I do not have a wall plate but a box of many buttons (Matrix Swtich) still I will assume you have a wall plate.. I replaced it with teh SENSAR PRO (About 100 bucks when I did it) direct replacement save that there is no "Front" antenna connection.. You may have to file a small notch to bring the TV-1 lead from the back to the front so you can connect to it if needed..... Big improvement. This is a multi-function device, it duplicates all the functions of the wall plate but adds additional adjustable amplification and several other features.

Then (Opps) I forgot to crank it down so a handy dandy tree took care of the Sensar III head.. The lift ares were NOT damaged so I ordered a new head, about 50 bucks. Sensar IV.. That is currently the best RV antenna made for RVs (There are better antennas but not made for RVs).. Replacement was two pins and one coax connection.. Pair of needle nose pliers is useful or a pocket "Multi Tool? type knife. That's all.