Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck camper generator oil type/Built in or small portable.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck camper generator oil type/Built in or small portable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amsoil x3

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

bwc

Atlantic Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Mobile One synthetic in my Honda 2000

X2 5W-30 Extended

2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with Mobil 1 Syn in all generators, including the Generac in the camper.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used Mobil 1 in my cars in the past and lab test show it generating higher iron. At the time I found chat room on the net, where Mobil 1 representative choose not to answer the question. So I switched to Castrol.
Also when Mercedes was promoting Mobil 1 on their cars, lately they drop some weights off their approval list.
Yeah, another oil topic.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

So what is a good oil that meets all the spec's of a small portable generator that we use for our truck campers that is equal to Honda or Onan oil and does it have to be 4-cycle oil?

Look at the specs on the Honda and Onan Bottles, then go to your favorite store that sell oil and find oil with the same or better specs / ratings.

Done.

Bob

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10W-30 Pennzoil Synthetic made from natural gas for me in the Honda 2000's. Might change to synthetic Rotella 15W-40 since I use it in the truck and the whole house back up generator.
Look around on "Bobistheoilguy.com"

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rotella T6 is also wet clutch compatible. I use it in my 450 Husky, quad and 2 stroke bike crankcases and occasionally in everything else if that's what's on hand.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

10W-30 Pennzoil Synthetic made from natural gas for me in the Honda 2000's. Might change to synthetic Rotella 15W-40 since I use it in the truck and the whole house back up generator.

You should know that diesel and gasoline engines produce different acids as result of combustion and the designated oils do have different antacids.
If you use diesel oil in gasoline engine, the result will be similar to mixing wrong whiskeys.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

I have been reading over there for a long time..Great place and lot's of knowledge...They say there are plenty of oils out there that are better than Honda oil..It was also said Honda oil was or is made by Mobil...

But the biggest take I got off there for an air cooled splash oil system,that brand is less important than keeping it full and frequent oil changes..I did order two bottles of Mobil 1 full synthetic though..Cheaper at Walmart than Honda oil is here from the only dealer for now.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When seems lot of us use oil used in cars, putting high-class oil might not be good for primitive engine.
High class oils have lot of detergents for extended intervals, low ash for preventing cats and dpfs, + other stuff to help with emission systems.
Most of our generators don't even have oil filters, where recommended intervals are 50 hr. So no worry about expensive detergents packs needed.
Than per my experience modern engines have such reliable mechanical parts that even run on cooking oil, they will serve for years, so quality of oil would be important if you plan to keep generator for 30 years with constant use.
Not too many of us will experience that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck camper generator oil type/Built in or small portable.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.