Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck camper generator oil type/Built in or small portable.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck camper generator oil type/Built in or small portable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

When seems lot of us use oil used in cars, putting high-class oil might not be good for primitive engine.

I don’t believe better oil is ever a problem but feel free to post links to examples of damage caused by better oil. [emoticon] Besides, I wouldn’t call 20 year old engines primitive considering synthetic oil came out about 46 years ago.

For my generator, we’re talking about less than a quart of oil to do an entire oil change. For smaller generators, probably less. So, the difference between the best oil and worst oil is maybe $3-5 dollars. Synthetics work better in a variety of temperatures, so other than $3-5 you aren’t losing anything.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My generators also get home use when power goes out as well as many more here I assume...I have always thought oil is very important,if not the most important in engine longevity..Back in high school with our hotrods,most every one used the best oil,never house oils for the hard use they got...

Example from bob is the oil guy..

I have posted many times on this subject. Having seen (and fixed) many portable generators fail on dino 5-30 I suggest a synthetic of slightly higher viscosity.

Florida heat is tough, as is running an entire house on a 11hp generator. Example: my 2 air cooled Honda water pumps failed early with dino oil. 15W-50 M1 resulted in much longer engine life.

My Robin 11HP gen set has only seen M1 15W-50 with 50 hour oil changes. It has serious hours on it with 3 hurricanes and home construction, without any problems. The oil is even clean when drained.

Contrast that with the many failures (including my co-workers) run on thin dino oil. The engines get ultra hot, the oil gets very thin and the connecting rod bearing (really just an aluminum con rod) fails. Every time. This situation was repeated thousands of times here in hurricane central.

Remember that 500 degree cylinder head temps are the norm in air cooled engines under full overload. I have seen 280 crankcase temps with my digital thermometer.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

You should know that diesel and gasoline engines produce different acids as result of combustion and the designated oils do have different antacids.
If you use diesel oil in gasoline engine, the result will be similar to mixing wrong whiskeys.

While that is true in theory, it is mostly not true in the compatibility of "most" diesel "C" rated oils as most are also "S" rated.
Generally diesel oils had or have more detergents which is true can "wash down" surfaces that diesels can tolerate due to diesel fuel having more lubrication properties than gasoline. Also diesel oils were the last hold out for high ZDDP levels which as we know are bad for gasoline catalytic converters, but most newer diesel oils are compatible with SM or SN ratings with a limitation on zinc content.

Bottom line, it's mostly a non issue to use C rated oils in spark engines and 100% not an issue in small engines without catalyst emissions systems.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So Kayteg and jayco, your last posts, respectively, support exactly what I said earlier and in my last post.
Go get ya a jug of 15W40 from wherever has it on sale and it will basically be the best oil you can run in a small engine.

My "primitive" commercial mowers 25-30 years old that get one oil change a year and run great would agree with this.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck camper generator oil type/Built in or small portable.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.