Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: No Hot water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> No Hot water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the handle inline with the pipe and did you let the air out of the tank.?

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/20 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Open the pressure relief valve and see if there is water in the tank. If not you have the heater bypassed.

Should have a manual on the water heater to show how the bypass works on your rig.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes open the pressure relief valve on the tank carefully. If it's full of hot water it may spray out. Leave the pressure relief valve open until water comes out then close it. Then see if you have water.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/20 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the hot water is just lukewarm you may have a water bypass going through the shower hose either inside or outside the trailer. Run water in the shower and turn the water off using the valves and not the one in the shower hose.

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cscpl2001 wrote:

I only have 1 valve.. it on the cold water inlet

There are a MINIMUM of two valves.. The 2nd valve is a check valve, Spring loaded type. on the hot water outlet (Top water heater Connection)

Now a question.. Does water flow when you open the hot tap? or not.

IF not check to see if you can get hot (CAREFULLY) by lifting the manual lever on the TPR valve (Outside this is on teh water heater it's a brass assembly with a metal lever on top water will be very hot so open just enough to get a drip or two)

Also feel the TPR is it "Warm" or cold. Warm good cold other issue

It is possible the water heater is not making hot water.. I'd need to know if it is suburan or an atwood or "other" to advise more

Another common issue is the outside shower i you have one. The shower head has a cut of valve. Sometimes the mixing valves get left open and the head shut off... I've fixed a couple by suggesting they check those valves.

Finally bypass valve can also fail.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

listen to wa8

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been working different construction trades since the 90s. Over the years ive had numerous plumbers tell me to never ever touch the pressure relief valve.

Working at a house with a slap leak. Guy comes out with his equipment. Cant find it. Another guy from same company comes out. He cant find. 3rd time the owner of the company comes out with a helper. He says all his years and this is a rare occasion they cant find our slab leak.

He also notices the hose i have running from the water heater. Says with all his years experience he tells people to never drain the water heater and never touch the pressure relief.

Just info i thought i would pass along. Luckily the part is cheap and easy to repair ive installed a few over the years.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Been working different construction trades since the 90s. Over the years ive had numerous plumbers tell me to never ever touch the pressure relief valve.

Working at a house with a slap leak. Guy comes out with his equipment. Cant find it. Another guy from same company comes out. He cant find. 3rd time the owner of the company comes out with a helper. He says all his years and this is a rare occasion they cant find our slab leak.

He also notices the hose i have running from the water heater. Says with all his years experience he tells people to never drain the water heater and never touch the pressure relief.

Just info i thought i would pass along. Luckily the part is cheap and easy to repair ive installed a few over the years.

If I was a plumber called out to a house to fix a certain issue, and I touched that pressure relief valve and it leaks after, where it didn't before, I could see a homeowner not wanting to pay for it.
However, as the end user, it is my valve. If I touch it and it then doesn't seal, it wouldn't likely seal again if the pressure in the tank rose to a point it needed to relieve pressure. So I would replace it. I'd rather see it leaking and know it needs replaced. Then to happen to notice water leaking out of the trailer.

As for draining a water heater at the house. Do what the manufacturer recommends. Not the man that makes his living charging way to much to replace them.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do what you will. Last example was a slab leak detection company. They dont install water heaters. That company came out 3 separate times and didnt charge us a dime. Owner of the company saw me draining the water heater and gave his advice. Wasnt the first time i had a plumber tell me that.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Says with all his years experience he tells people to never drain the water heater"

Too darn funny!

My Propane RHEEM Water Heater was installed early 1996, drained it most every year. Still going strong!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> No Hot water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.