cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Information about Pacific Coast Highway Trip

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
West coast folks I need some input; I live in Oklahoma City and plan to drive the Pacific Coast highway (101 and 1) from the Vancouver, BC area to San Diego this year, either late May (if possible) or late August in a Mercedes SL500 convertible, so no camping, just drivingโ€ฆ.just a few questions:
With a convertible what are the best months to travel?
Would you start at Vancouver and head South, or start in San Diego and go North?
What are some must see sights along this Highway? (15 years ago I drove from OKC to San Francisco then up to the Redwood Forest and into Washington). Iโ€™ve never headed south towards San Diego.
It will take about 3 days drive to get to the West Coast, and 3 days to get home. For a two week trip that leaves me 8 days to drive the coast highway, is that too many days or not enough?
Any additional suggestions are appreciated. I know this topic isnโ€™t about RVโ€™s or camping, but the members of this board have the best knowledge about travel tips. Thanks, Geo.
20 REPLIES 20

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
I lived most of my life near the central coast of California and have been on nearly every part of US-101 and CA-1 over the years. Lots of wonderful sights to see along the west coast. But in my opinion it's almost a crime to try to cram in the whole route in a few days. Best to either give yourself a LOT more time or if that is not possible just focus on one section. Maybe something like Santa Cruz to Morro Bay to take in a spectacular part of CA-1. Things like the Montery Bay Aquarium, a wildlife cruise on Elkhorn Slough at Moss Landing, Big Sur State Park, some time in Cambria and Morro Bay.

I agree with the weather in Sept. and that things are not likely to really be open for travelers until at least the fall.

Art
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Hate spell check. The dog was fine!the fog was thick!

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
We did it pulling 5th wheel a number of years ago. North to South in early sept. Hardly saw the ocean in Washington and Oregon the dog was so thick. Northern California was beautiful. Ferndale a gorgeous little town.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rollexx wrote:
Just so you know, youโ€™re not going to escape the tourists in late Aug/Sept. Very busy time of year on the coast.

HUGE reduction in September since kids are back in School.

Not likely this year! While September school should be back in session. The Canadians, and Californians start hitting the Oregon Coast.
I will add I saw someone talked about doing Deception Pass, as it is beautiful, then continue down Whidbey Island to Coupville then take the ferry to Port Townsend to catch 101 as north as possible, and bypassing Seattle!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have done the PCH on a bicycle, motorcycle, car and RV. The best month is September as it is dry (relatively), high pressure sets up over the area and visibility is fantastic, temperature highs are moderate and lows mild, and very little fog. And kids are typically back in school. Also, since you asked I would go north to south to keep the ocean on your right and easier to use pullouts. There is lots and lots to see so the very few days you are allocating to the trip will only barely scratch the surface kind of thing.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot to suggest not driving on weekends. Everybody tours PCH on the weekend.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rollexx wrote:
Just so you know, youโ€™re not going to escape the tourists in late Aug/Sept. Very busy time of year on the coast.

HUGE reduction in September since kids are back in School.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I plan to copy and past/print and work them into the trip. I favor late August/September travel, mostly because the tourists are home for the year and the weather is usually still warm.
May/August dates weren't necessarly for this year, but I'm always hopeful and would like to do the deed this August/Sept. We'll see.
Keep adding suggestions, all are welcome. thanks,

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
May or even August of this year sounds like a lot of wishful thinking. May is almost here and with all the precautions Covid is just starting to spread throughout the country.

YOU can feel that way but that is NOT reality. Mark your calendar and let me know how we are doing in August.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Agree about August and September being better. In coastal California, there's something we call "June Gloom". It sometimes starts in May.
And Highway 1, between Carmel and San Simeon, is very slow going. 101 in Oregon is also slow going.
You may have some issues with lodging, in California.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely go north to south. We drove south to north and southbound traffic often blocked the view.

Fog can be an issue. I planned on getting an early start each day only to suffer fog that didnโ€™t lift until late AM or early afternoon.

We have been several times. We went back and spent a week looking around the Monterey area. Pebble Beach drive.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
While the pullouts are nice, most of them are accessible from traveling both directions when traffic is not heavy, especially in Oregon. But it gets very heavy after Labor Day.

The nice thing about north to south is that Washington US 101 will not disappoint too much. Very little is sea coast driving. And what is, there is usually a berm and very deep natural area between the road and the water. Only a few locations have the majestic views.

Agree Deception Pass is a must. From the Peace Arch Crossing to Burlington in WA, I was surprised by the number of oil refineries. Kind of like southern Louisiana along the Mississippi.

The Oregon coast is spectacular, and they do a much better job with scenic turnouts than I have seen in any other state.

California is lovely. Now our trip was south to north, and my wife was especially pleased with the spring flowers and new growth for much of the trip all the way to Olympic NP in early June.

The bridge out at Big Sur stopped us from taking the complete Hwy 1 route, but as I've said about some other stops on the trip, it took me over 65 years to get there, and I don't regret a dollar, an hour, on any missed sights. I only want to go back again!!!
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
May or even August of this year sounds like a lot of wishful thinking. May is almost here and with all the precautions Covid is just starting to spread throughout the country.