Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Fantastic fan with no thermostat?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fantastic fan with no thermostat?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike/kellie, Fantastic vent? manual 3 speed? There is a lug on the 3spd switch that is full switched 12v in any of the ON positions...
[image]
Shouldn't have needed to mess with to wire, but IF you did, possibly plugged in motor lead to wrong terminal? Or may have been mis-wired from factory. Worth a look.
[image]
Motor lead should be to middle output lug.
Unfamiliar with the 14spd/variable fan but thats on higher end fan.

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly as you suspected. Moved the connection over to the 3 speed lug and I have all 3 speeds. Thank you!

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome- didn't think would be the case. When I originally installed ours I had disconnected motor lead wire to add a bypass switch on lid plunger switch. Reconnected and turning back on thought I broke it- lost speed control.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did some additional tries on my fan and there is nice Fantastic label on top of the shroud, with all the addresses and phone numbers (no longer valid) but there is no model number on it.
So close look and there is no temperature probe, meaning my guess that it might have single-set thermostat did not confirm.
Than each time I cycle OFF/ON, the lid goes to automatic closing.
Meaning the only way I can open the lid is manual, than I can operate it till I cycle off/on or rain sensor will force closing.
Kind of stupid design and seems the only purpose of lid motor is closing in the rain.
Bad news is I can't forget about leaving lid gear in manual crank as after cycling it off'on the lid motor will run forever.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know if helpful-
related RV.net thread/
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread
mentioned thermostat
RV HONEYWELL THERMOSTAT T812D 1033 9988-80 FAN-TASTIC VENT (white)
RV HONEYWELL THERMOSTAT T812D 1058 9988-09 FAN-TASTIC VENT (black)

semi related addressing remote thermo
airforums.com/forums/f455/upgrade-kit

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, thanks for your time doing the search.
My fan looks like the one in linked thread what makes it model 9988-81, Reading the thread - it is used with wall thermostat.
So now I have to dig the extra wires marked "remote" and use them for remote opening.
Or for $130 I can buy upgrade face with build-in thermostat
Link
Thanks a lot.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just that bored[emoticon] but really curious how your fan was supposed to function as it sounds as though dome only open when fan on which makes no sense. I could see the power dome function only to close when raining, but not being unable to use passively.
Plus is the linked upgrade dome can be power raised/lower with fan off pushing switch, also no need for external thermostat.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VICTORY.
So knowing how it suppose to work, I pulled the remote wires (that make for bigger task after I had the fan already installed in hard to reach place) and the lid/fan operates just fine with remote switch.
In my "garage pile of junk" I even found old thermostat, but it is furnace thermostat, when fan needs cooling thermostat.
No way I am spending $50 for factory thermostat, but wall switch is all I care about.
With switch on -the lid opens and fan starts.
With switch off -the lid closes.
Thinking about updating it to 21 Century, small relay and WI-FI plug, who cost about $10 will let me operate it via my android from any place in the World. (those plugs also have schedules and timers)
I already have WI-FI thermometer.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Honeywell low voltage thermostats linked are only $12.49. Myself I don't find 'apps' convenient verse pushing a button. But if you have majority of parts on hand outlined WiFi control sounds like fun project.

FYI: 9988-xx number is the last digits of thermo part number, not the fan unit.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The WI-FI operation is just a thought in the moment.
I have like 7 systems WI-FI operated in my house, so adding another 1 is not an issue, but do I really need it in the camper?
Than when I like automatic operation of thermostat, the fan is mounted in bathroom and will be also used for venting whole camper.
Meaning it will not only be operated for temperatures, but also for smell venting.
Teaching DW how to override thermostat is not in my plans for this season, so flip switch is going to be just fine.
Still not knowing model number for the fan? WHO CARES at this point [emoticon]
Thanks again for all your help Anev

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fantastic fan with no thermostat?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.