cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prodigy Brake Control ?

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Prodigy brake control on my truck and having a problem with it. I tried calling the company to ask some questions and they won't talk to you if you don't have the prof of purchase. I have had it probably 15 years, so there is no way. When towing my travel trailer it seems to work fine. When I attach the 7 way plug the light comes on showing the C that it is hooked up on the unit under the dash, and the numbers come up when applying the brake showing the level of brake application. I also have a large work trailer that has always worked before, but I was hauling some material yesterday, and there was no response on the control when the plug was attached. I had never tested it before, but when I checked the pin in the plug it did not show any charge coming back to the plug on the truck 7 way when I had my wife pull the lever on. I went back and hooked it up to the travel trailer and it is still working fine on it. The wires look fine in the work trailer 7 way plug, and back to the brakes at the wheels. Shouldn't there be a charge at the truck pin in the 7 way plug when the brakes are applied? I'm just trying to figure out how this works and where to go to get this working again. Thanks.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'
18 REPLIES 18

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a P2 on my last TV. It was okay. Not a bad controller at all. Iโ€™m really a Tekonsha Voyager fan. I like how the Voyager works much better and once set up itโ€™s much smoother and more simple than any other controller I have owned. I just bought another Voyager for my latest TV and it works great with our new TT. After thousands of miles I like the simple little light telling me whatโ€™s going on.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
P3 has memory for four trailers, max brake level, number if axkes, etc, so you can get a trailer set up, save the info and not have to go thru that on the trailer later on if you are switching back and forth.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike-uswest wrote:
I checked the wires in the work trailer plug, and everything looked good. The hookup end of the plug was not looking as clean, so I will flush it out and dry it well. More things to play with. Thanks.

Mike
Get out your clamp-on DC ammeter and verify each wheel is getting 3 amps when the controller is applied manually.
(any excuse to get a new tool)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
If your RV trailer works, the controller works. I think you have a problem with the construction trailer.

Ditto.

You've already troubleshot the problem by testing the brake controller with another trailer, the TT, so that rules out the problem being the brake controller, so the problem is the construction trailer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the wires in the work trailer plug, and everything looked good. The hookup end of the plug was not looking as clean, so I will flush it out and dry it well. More things to play with. Thanks.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

blt2ski
I agreeing with those that think it is the trailer issue, not prodigy issue.
I've had and owned multiple trailers in the past. If one is working, next is not, 99%of the time, the trailer connection is usually the issue. Dirt grime or equal on trailer plug us usually issue. Sometimes the wire connections in plug.......check the trailer first.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I also found the P3 to be less sensitive to minor faults, and also a little smarter with the Boost feature. It's a worthwhile upgrade.

That said... Make sure the back of the connector on the truck isn't full of crud. If it is, and it's wet, that can pass enough current between the contacts to cause intermittent faults.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Your problem is in the work trailer, NOT THE CONTROLER.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
"Simply unplug P2 from wiring harness and plug in P3, simple as that!!!"

Unfortunately not entirely true. The P3 uses a different mounting bracket than the P2 but changing the brackets should not be very difficult.

The P3 has better diagnostics than the P2. I like the current reading the P3 gives you. If you have the standard electric brakes as most of us have the current delivered with most 4 wheel brakes systems is 1 amp for each volt applied. From this a broken wheel magnet wire can be detected.

I check my current reading vs voltage with the manual lever before my trips each morning along with all of my TPMS readings.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-uswest wrote:
Thanks for the answers, what is there about the P3 that makes it better? If I go back to another P2, it is a 5 minute job to take one out and put the new one in. It has worked fine for years.

Mike

I have owned BOTH, I hated the P2 with having to reset the boost depending on whether you were driving slowly thru a campground or on the highway.

P3 is much better all around.

Simply unplug P2 from wiring harness and plug in P3, simple as that!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers, what is there about the P3 that makes it better? If I go back to another P2, it is a 5 minute job to take one out and put the new one in. It has worked fine for years.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

wski
Explorer
Explorer
mike-uswest wrote:
I have a Prodigy brake control on my truck and having a problem with it. I tried calling the company to ask some questions and they won't talk to you if you don't have the prof of purchase. I have had it probably 15 years, so there is no way. When towing my travel trailer it seems to work fine. When I attach the 7 way plug the light comes on showing the C that it is hooked up on the unit under the dash, and the numbers come up when applying the brake showing the level of brake application. I also have a large work trailer that has always worked before, but I was hauling some material yesterday, and there was no response on the control when the plug was attached. I had never tested it before, but when I checked the pin in the plug it did not show any charge coming back to the plug on the truck 7 way when I had my wife pull the lever on. I went back and hooked it up to the travel trailer and it is still working fine on it. The wires look fine in the work trailer 7 way plug, and back to the brakes at the wheels. Shouldn't there be a charge at the truck pin in the 7 way plug when the brakes are applied? I'm just trying to figure out how this works and where to go to get this working again. Thanks.

Mike

Sorry to hear about your Prodigy brake controller, but I would not give up. I had a Prodigy P3 that started throwing a PL code. I contacted the company through their website and obtain a new controller under warranty. My controller was 10+ years old and I did not have a receipt. I was told to send them a photo of the controller along with the serial number. They sent me a new one with instructions on how to return the old one. They even paid shipping on the return. However, due to the current lock down, I have not had the opportunity to use it. I wish you the best of luck...

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok if it is acting up at 15 years I would simply grab a new P3 and get on with my day.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Take a picture of the receipt...as many receipts are printed on thermo paper, which fades over time

I then put the receipt in the manual. Along with writing the date, where, $$, and serial number on the manual
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...