Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Do you drink.......
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Do you drink.......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we used to just sanitize our tank once a year and use a Brita filter pitcher.

Then we installed one of those round marine clean out hatches. The first look into the tank would have made anyone cringe. Sure, there was some slime, but also plastic shavings and stuff left over from installation, tons of organic debris that basically looked like a layer of mud on the bottom. Since the openings to the pump or drain are not at the lowest point since they come out 1/2" above the bottom, one can never truly get out all the nasty gunk.

Now I can get my arm into the tank through the port and reach all 8 corners to truly clean it out. Besides, regular Brita and those inline filters "aren't at all intended to "purify" water or remove biological nasties such as giardia." Also, think of all those toxic industrial chemicals, herbicides, pesticides, and pharmaceuticals, etc. that are in your tap water. There is enough **** assaulting our bodies and our environment without consciously adding to it.

Since we are almost exclusively off-grid when we camp, we wanted to be sure we could purify our water no matter where it came from (rain, pond, river, etc). We have since upgraded to a simple gravity-fed purification system for drinking/cooking and even use it in the house. Look into Berkey or Royal Dalton. Plus you just periodically clean the filters, no replacements to buy like those wasteful plastic Brita things! These systems are used by relief organizations like UNICEF, the Peace Corps and the Red Cross. Bonus, when the SHTF you are covered!

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Ramblin' Ralph

Central California Coast

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I buy 1 gallon water jugs for drinking, but I do use the onboard tank for brushing my teeth. No problems after 130+K miles and 14 years of half-timing. [emoticon]

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 125 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 715 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram / Twitter

fpoole

PNW and Beyond

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thedavidzoo wrote:

Well, .....Look into Berkey or Royal Dalton. Plus you just periodically clean the filters, no replacements to buy like those wasteful plastic Brita things! These systems are used by relief organizations like UNICEF, the Peace Corps and the Red Cross. Bonus, when the SHTF you are covered!

Kewl, thanks, I put it on the Amz wish list along with the stand... hard to overhang on Camper Sink...
Thanks again... nice one..

Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Retired Old Geezer/Goat)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10ā€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nā€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did for years, but since M'lady got sick from well water, we have used a filtered pitcher for both drinking and for ice.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't drink water when camping period.
Having dually I have no problem to load more adequate liquid.
That said, we always used tank water for consumption. Never sanitize the tank and usually, when in California I would have water in tank over the winter.
In Las Vegas now, we have very hard water, so I dump it for winter storage.
Our last camper has build-in water filter, so going to Alaska last summer, I bought new cartridge for it.
In the past I would cary Brita water pitcher for situation when water might not be safe.
Still remember camping years ago where campground water had nice brown color. Ironically the lake and campground belong to Sacramento Water District.

FrankoToo

New Braunfels, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

We drink filtered water brought from home. We do everything else with water from the tank.

Taste matters.

X2

FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just did last night. Tasted horrible. Didnt want to walk into the house and use the reverse osmosis. Im good for about a gallon a day. More when working in summer heat.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our trailer is 6 years old and I fill the water as needed. I've never drained it or sanitized it and yes we drink from it. No issues.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brita pitcher all the way.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thedavidzoo wrote:

. . . The first look into the tank would have made anyone cringe. Sure, there was some slime, but also plastic shavings and stuff left over from installation, tons of organic debris that basically looked like a layer of mud on the bottom. Since the openings to the pump or drain are not at the lowest point since they come out 1/2" above the bottom, one can never truly get out all the nasty gunk . . .
We saw the bottom of our first "empty" FW tank a few years ago. Hard to get that mental snapshot of slime/gunk out of our minds. Sanitizing a FW tank "may" kill off the bad stuff in the slime---not sure. Regardless, we're not willing to take a chance. We always drink bottled water when we're on the road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Do you drink.......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.