Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: slide outs, different kinds?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> slide outs, different kinds?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas on the road wrote:

I have seen 3 types of slide outs on travel trailers:
1. Cable on the side of the slide out.
2. Tracks on the side (one up & one lower)of the slide out.
3. Beams under the slide out, (nothing on the side)
On whatever travel trailer you are looking at the salesman always says that is the best kind.
Can anyone advise what the differences are, and which is the most preferred & trouble free.
Personal opinions are welcome.
Thanks.

A forth kind is the one I have made by LIFTCO and is completely supported by the frame that is installed in the wall and has no physical attachment to the trailer except for the metal frame installed in the wall. It float over the floor and is operated by two "screws" run by an electric motor. It is not subject to sagging, etc.and has external supports on each corner that are anchored to the wall frame.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

manley

Wichita Falls, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A big benefit of the cable slide outs is that the frame isn’t notched to accommodate the mechanism.

2018 F150 XLT FX4 SCREW Ecoboost 3.5L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 02:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

manley wrote:

A big benefit of the cable slide outs is that the frame isn’t notched to accommodate the mechanism.
This could be true IF, your TT has a weak frame as many do. Both of my TTs with slides have had the mechanisims go thru the frame... My frames were heavy duty, and the holes were properly reinforced. 10 years on each TT of hard use/rough roads (100% boondocking) with no issues.
Come to think of it, I have not once seen this to be an issue reported here on this forum... Could this be something a salesperson told you? They will say anything to make the sale.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

manley wrote:

This could be true IF, your TT has a weak frame as many do. Both of my TTs with slides have had the mechanisims go thru the frame... My frames were heavy duty, and the holes were properly reinforced. 10 years on each TT of hard use/rough roads (100% boondocking) with no issues.
Come to think of it, I have not once seen this to be an issue reported here on this forum... Could this be something a salesperson told you? They will say anything to make the sale.

The trade off is weight. Your rugged sturdy frame ultimately makes your RV heavier. If Heavy is OK the additional weight is fine. Cable slides allow for lighter multi slide units.
Lighter units can be towed with smaller trucks. For some weight is a key factor.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

manley

Wichita Falls, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

manley wrote:

Why yes, your royal highness, it was pointed out by the salesman as an advantage of my particular brand of camper. Since I tow with a half ton - obviously risking my life and the lives of everyone within three states - it helps reduce the weight because we don't require structural reinforcement of the frame. I'm really happy that you have the holy grail of tow vehicle and travel trailer. Some of us don't have that luxury.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

manley wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

manley wrote:

Why yes, your royal highness, it was pointed out by the salesman as an advantage of my particular brand of camper. Since I tow with a half ton - obviously risking my life and the lives of everyone within three states - it helps reduce the weight because we don't require structural reinforcement of the frame. I'm really happy that you have the holy grail of tow vehicle and travel trailer. Some of us don't have that luxury.
Easy now, I like many others started with a 1/2 ton. Back in 1993, It was a 73 Blazer, towing a 75 Prowler. No slides back then, but the Prowler frame was pretty stout. One thing I am firm believer in is a strong frame. Just about anything else can be upgraded.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

manley wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

manley wrote:

Easy now, I like many others started with a 1/2 ton. Back in 1993, It was a 73 Blazer, towing a 75 Prowler. No slides back then, but the Prowler frame was pretty stout. One thing I am firm believer in is a strong frame. Just about anything else can be upgraded.

Dog I have to agree with you. I have a 5 slide unit with all cable slides. The slides have been OK overall. I did replace one cable,but I was able to do it myself no big deal.
The kicker is in 2012 my unit was proclaimed to be revolutionary because it had a lighter frame, reduced weight but still had five slides.
Fast forward to 2018 and I suffered through major frame issues.
Steel was added the front end of the trailer had to be re-constructed.
Thor,Jayco,Open Range,Lippert all denied any responsibility.
My insurance denied my claim and stated the failure was due to a manufacturer's defect.
Without getting into the gory details the original frame was not as robust as it should have been. I should have put more emphasis on the frame and how things were constructed vs. trusting that the lighter frame was substantial enough and up to the task.
Bottom line, frame strength and construction should be a major concern for all RV'ers.
If the frame fails you will be facing major reconstruction and major bills. BTDT.
Without a doubt frame construction is more important than slide construction or anything else. Sort of a basic thought but it all starts with the frame.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of all the systems on my RV the cable slide with an electric motor has been trouble free for 24 years. In the last year I had to adjust the pot in the control box to have it close all the way, works fine now.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My parents' Winnebago Class A has the pair of tracks, mounted on the top and bottom side walls of the slide, and it has been nothing but trouble. They had to have repairs made to it twice now (replacement gears, supposedly redesigned to be better) and it's acting up again. Last fall my wife and I, and four other people in the campground, helped them get it back in (by pushing evenly on the outside) so that they could get home after it refused to work properly. It's only 2 years old. Their previous Class A had the cable sort and was trouble free for the decade they owned it.

2016 AmeriLite SuperLite 198BH
2008 Toyota Sienna
Hensley Cub

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> slide outs, different kinds?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.